The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RG7

Reaction score
Kurt, I think a 9 string should be fanned.

At this point, 25.5-28.625 or 25.5-27 would work well and look good as well.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think a fixed scale - 27 or 28.625 to start - still working out the "kinks" in a fanned fret 7 - then will do an 8 shortly after. I did have some interesting discussions with Kayler on a 9 string trem if that would be.... desirable?

kurt

do you make it your job to go above and beyond?

a Kahler 9 would be Godly, i think i would buy one on principle.

space frog

Reaction score
I would get one cuz... cuz... it has nine strings! Nah seriously, the range of such an instrument would be perfect for me. But I bet it's not before many months/years that we could see such thing right?

Reaction score
I would pay about 2k or some more for an agile multi-scale 8 string guitar.

I would have put the deposit down for the trans-black kahler trem 8 string but I am waiting on the fanned version.

I would love to see it in some nice exotic woods such as wenge tops with ziricote fingerboard, passive slanted pickups, inverted headstock, piezo option, 25.5/ 27 ... I know I am dreaming here but it would def be something amazing

slanderous777

Reaction score
I think a fixed scale - 27 or 28.625 to start - still working out the "kinks" in a fanned fret 7 - then will do an 8 shortly after. I did have some interesting discussions with Kayler on a 9 string trem if that would be.... desirable?

kurt

I'm sure that straight fret models would sell ridiculously fast.

Btw any idea when you expect to have your fanned 7's and 8's ready for market?:metal:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

kurt

Kurt, I'm quite open to any 9 string, but what did you have in mind, tuning wise, with the 27 or 28.625 lengths? Are you thinking adding a low C#, or a high G, or a E-G, or ?

And the Kahler 9 would be awesome. In terms of saving money, I'd go right for the 7229 rather than the 2229, since as best as I can tell they are of the same quality, but with less options (in terms of swapping out rollers, etc).

kurtzentmaier

Reaction score
Ok, just worked out pricing on the Kahler 9 - all USA made - (not the hybrid) at a good price. We can develop a Intrepid type bridge (Agile -8 Bridge but a 9 string version) as well.

Now we need to decide on the range - High G would be easier, but I am concerned with excessive string breakage. For the Low C# I think the grovers will not accept larger than .75 or .80 before they split when we drill them out. Going with bass tuners is a possibility.
We could use 009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .060 .072 so some variation and keep the grovers. Any suggestions?

Kurt

Meshugger

Reaction score
Kahler 9s?! sweet!

For string settings, I would vouch for the high G. With 009 or even 007 it should do just fine as long as players don't pretend that they can bend strings like David Gilmour.

ra1der2

Reaction score
Ok, just worked out pricing on the Kahler 9 - all USA made - (not the hybrid) at a good price. We can develop a Intrepid type bridge (Agile -8 Bridge but a 9 string version) as well.

Any suggestions?

Kurt

Kurt, I just got my JAN 2010 agile interceptor pro 8 w/kahler today and it is completely incapable of intonating the LB and F#, it also has a lot of quality control issues.

I have spent a lot of money with you and I love the agile's that I have purchased up to this point. They aren't all perfect aesthetically but they work as they should. However, this guitar was supposed to be better than all the others and it is literally an epic failure. I have already requested the return.

I'd say before anything you really need to have the factory these are made at learn how to install these kahlers properly. Right now it really seems like hit or miss.

space frog

Reaction score

Now we need to decide on the range - High G would be easier, but I am concerned with excessive string breakage. For the Low C# I think the grovers will not accept larger than .75 or .80 before they split when we drill them out. Going with bass tuners is a possibility.
We could use 009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .060 .072 so some variation and keep the grovers. Any suggestions?

Kurt

I'd prefer personnally a high G (or A... but it seems unreal) rather than a low C#. If you were to go for the C# though, I'd see it fanned frets with 3 bass tuners and 6 guitar tuners.

Also are there any interceptor pro 8 strings cancellations from the Jan run? I'd want one but waiting for it 4 months would be torture... Please PM me if you have an answer for me. Thanx.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Kurt, I just got my JAN 2010 agile interceptor pro 8 w/kahler today and it is completely incapable of intonating the LB and F#, it also has a lot of quality control issues.

I have spent a lot of money with you and I love the agile's that I have purchased up to this point. They aren't all perfect aesthetically but they work as they should. However, this guitar was supposed to be better than all the others and it is literally an epic failure. I have already requested the return.

I'd say before anything you really need to have the factory these are made at learn how to install these kahlers properly. Right now it really seems like hit or miss.

Im wondering mabey if the limited option run had them in a bit of a pinch??

Lasik124

Reaction score

This worries me as mine is on its way, Anyone else have the problem? :ugh:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
This worries me as mine is on its way, Anyone else have the problem? :ugh:

I have one from the previous run. On that run the Kahler's themselves were fine, but the scale length was messed up a little bit. As a consequence, you can see the route for the trem on the neck side of the trem itself (i.e. the route was done to a 26.75" scale, but the trem was put at 27"). That run had a lot of issues like that (another user had the neck backed out of the socket 1/4" to compensate). And technically I think my Kahler would have worked better recessed 1/8" because I needed to polish the intonation screw heads down to get the strings to rest on the rollers (instead of said screws). All that being said, it's pretty well dialed in now, and I can get the F# to intonate fine. I would have returned mine, except my Intrepid came with some flaws too, so I just kind of figured that was par for Rondo. And I had one of the few 8 string Kahler guitars in existence, and I got it for $800, so I decided to keep it.
All that being said, Ra1der2 had a butt load of these first run Interceptors, and he was pretty happy with those (iirc) so I think he's not being particularly finicky about this new one of his. Hopefully it's just a fluke and not a systematic build error.

whisper

Reaction score

Kurt

I'm definitely in for the C#, but the scale might have to be 30 (or more? 27 - 30.5 fan?)to keep it from flopping around wildly, even with a thick ass string. What type tuner did that Halo 10 stringer have for the C#?

edit-
just realized you said the 1st run will probably be fixed trem - 30in scale at least, def use the Intrepid body. The XSI used gotoh I believe.

ra1der2

Reaction score
Yeah, I own five interceptor 8's, not including the jan 2010 run guitar which would be my 6th. so I am definitely not bashing rondo at all, nor trying to stir the pot. I am very happy with the guitars I have, this new one is the exception.

I hope mine was the only one with issues as well.

Perhaps it would be worth looking into an intrepid / kahler setup? I have a feeling the arched heel of the interceptor may be part of the issue in getting the bridge in the correct spot when going greater than 27" scale length.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I own five interceptor 8's, not including the jan 2010 run guitar which would be my 6th. so I am definitely not bashing rondo at all, nor trying to stir the pot. I am very happy with the guitars I have, this new one is the exception.

Perhaps it would be worth looking into an intrepid / kahler setup? I have a feeling the arched heel of the interceptor may be part of the issue in getting the bridge in the correct spot when going greater than 27" scale length.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Technically speaking, the arch top Kahlers typically have the little screw in things that go where the TOM studs were, and the front edge of the Kahler is supposed to rest on that. But in the case of the Interceptors rests on the body itself, which is curved. Then again, if it's put on the Intrepid, with it's hardtail bridge, you'd probably have to sink it a bit (route the body).

So let me ask you a question about this most recent Interceptor of yours: did you try using the adjustments screws on the studs to pull the trem as far toward the butt of the guitar as possible? I've actually got mine pulled quite a ways back to get it to intonate correctly. Again, mine was routed 1/4" too close to the neck, so I had to compensate with those screws because the studs were off by about 1/8".

EDIT: Btw, what scale length did you get on that one? I'm wondering if the 28.625 would sound as good as my Intrepid on the F#, because on the 27" it's just a tad muddier (due to a need for a thicker string, I think).

Lasik124

Reaction score

Ah well I hope mines okay then too, Do any of your other 8's have kahlers?
If so any problems? How will I know if mines okay?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ah well I hope mines okay then too, Do any of your other 8's have kahlers?
If so any problems? How will I know if mines okay?

My 8 and all of his have the Kahler's (Interceptors, by definition, have a trem. Otherwise they're called Sceptors). And you'll know if yours is OK if:
1) It intonates correctly
2) You can adjust the action to a reasonable level

I can't imagine any other major issues with it. But, of course, those of us with them from the last run have worked out the kinks, so let us know if you have Qs.

')