The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I'd like to see some options like that, sure. But from what I've seen the Rondo spalted maple is not the best. Very little figuring and not much depth. My vote would be for the bubinga, or anything else with a lot of character like that. And given the paucity of decent ebony, we should probably stick with woods that would match well with maple or rosewood FBs. Like, I think that bubinga body would go really well with a maple FB.

I somewhat agree on the spalted, but ive seen more extremely nice looking spalted come out of there than I have lame ones. Zebra wood would be my least favorite but I figured I would throw it on there. But the other 2 seem like they could mix really well with any of the 3 fretboard types and look great. If they are made in the same factories as those basses I couldnt imagine it would cost much to do it either since they are only charging about $300 for those basses. I just think if its something that could be done it could possibly give them the look of some of the nicer more expensive handbuilt 8s that people have interest in. Mabey I should have Evan (SPBY) make some quick mockups and run a poll thread to see if theres enough interest to email Kurt.

The last damn thing I need is another 8 but damn it, I would probly jump on one more LOL

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Uhhh...I need help. Ive been using Ernie Ball singles on my Intrepid since I bought it and just went to restring my Septor 8s with reverse headstocks with the same sets. The 27" was alright and had some string to work with on the low F# but the 28.625" is about an inch too short to reach the low tuner. Is there anyone who has restrung a reverse headstock 28.625 with a sting that was long enough.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The last damn thing I need is another 8 but damn it, I would probly jump on one more LOL

EXACTLY what I was thinking when you posted the question about those wood tops. I want to bury my head in the sand so as to stop the GAS.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
EXACTLY what I was thinking when you posted the question about those wood tops. I want to bury my head in the sand so as to stop the GAS.

Yeah im pretty guitarded :lol:. But at least im not blowing my money on stupid things and have something to show for my money. :yesway:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah im pretty guitarded :lol:. But at least im not blowing my money on stupid things and have something to show for my money. :yesway:
No joke. Guitars suffer very little depreciation over time, unlike pretty much anything else I might wanna get. I'll spend $1000 on a guitar knowing I'll be able to sell that guitar 10 years later for at least some % of the original cost. Whereas a $1000 computer or TV or whatever? Not so much.

Meshugger

Reaction score
Uhhh...I need help. Ive been using Ernie Ball singles on my Intrepid since I bought it and just went to restring my Septor 8s with reverse headstocks with the same sets. The 27" was alright and had some string to work with on the low F# but the 28.625" is about an inch too short to reach the low tuner. Is there anyone who has restrung a reverse headstock 28.625 with a sting that was long enough.

Oh man, you're really are out of luck :lol:

I have a .074 D'Addario string (Nickel wound) for my low F on my 28.625 scale Septor. It was long enough to roll around the tuner once and then inserting it into the stringhole. It's enough, but there's really not much headroom either.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
hey guys, maybe someone could fill me in here... how come there isn't a sceptor pro model? i don't want an interceptor since i'm planning on sticking some graphtech ghost saddles into there and i really prefer the aesthetics of the headstock of the sceptor. however, i think that tonally a neck-through maple body with mahogany wings would work much better for an 8 than just a mahogany body itself. any thoughts?

Ironberry

Reaction score
Ok, just worked out pricing on the Kahler 9 - all USA made - (not the hybrid) at a good price. We can develop a Intrepid type bridge (Agile -8 Bridge but a 9 string version) as well.

Now we need to decide on the range - High G would be easier, but I am concerned with excessive string breakage. For the Low C# I think the grovers will not accept larger than .75 or .80 before they split when we drill them out. Going with bass tuners is a possibility.
We could use 009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .060 .072 so some variation and keep the grovers. Any suggestions?

Kurt

If you used bass tuners, the C# would be much more doable than the high G on an extended scale instrument. I believe that a bass tuner would also be a very good thing to use for an F# for everyone who wants very high tension. The bass tuner would make it easier to accommodate a larger string. I'd be all for it if I got the money together.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
hey guys, maybe someone could fill me in here... how come there isn't a sceptor pro model? i don't want an interceptor since i'm planning on sticking some graphtech ghost saddles into there and i really prefer the aesthetics of the headstock of the sceptor. however, i think that tonally a neck-through maple body with mahogany wings would work much better for an 8 than just a mahogany body itself. any thoughts?

If you look at the new agile 8 finish poll on the first page I think thats what I would like us to shoot for. I was thinking a fixed bridge neck thru pro model with passive pickups and possibly ebony boards. As of now we are just checking out opinions on finishes but im going to pitch the "pro" idea to kurt as we still have plenty of time before the next run.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
There is also the custom option, Kurt will pretty much build any of his models with as many strings as you want and an incredible range of options including some not on the order form, next time he has the custom order form up just send him an email and ask for any options not listed and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at how accommodating he is. Of course the downside is there is a bit of a price premium on customs.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have had my Intrepid for about a week now. I love it, it's an amazing guitar.

Nevertheless I still think that the 7 string will remain my main guitar, for soloing I feel much more comfortable on the 7, but for some really low riffs nothing could beat that 8 string!:shred:

Last edited:

space frog

Reaction score
^Yeah it's probably more comfortable on a 7 string. But once I have a 8 string I plan on tuning it low G# to high F# so that I can do low riffs and solos pretty comfortably. And maybe play some Architects ehe.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
If you look at the new agile 8 finish poll on the first page I think thats what I would like us to shoot for. I was thinking a fixed bridge neck thru pro model with passive pickups and possibly ebony boards. As of now we are just checking out opinions on finishes but im going to pitch the "pro" idea to kurt as we still have plenty of time before the next run.

yes definitely. could any owners tell me one thing- i plan on taking out the pickup switching and sticking in a knob for piezo volume (and drilling out for a new pickup selector switch, and a piezo switch). can anyone tell me if the route for the pickup selector is the same size as the one for teh knobs on the sceptor? (as the knobs are recessed)

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
yes definitely. could any owners tell me one thing- i plan on taking out the pickup switching and sticking in a knob for piezo volume (and drilling out for a new pickup selector switch, and a piezo switch). can anyone tell me if the route for the pickup selector is the same size as the one for teh knobs on the sceptor? (as the knobs are recessed)

Do you mean the hole or the recess itself?? If you mean the recess then yes, the switch recess is the exact same size as the volume recesses.

_-77aurious77-_

_-77aurious77-_
Reaction score
MY god!!! I want an 8 string soooooo bad. I've seen Agile Guitars and went to the Rondo site. Are these guitars "good"? I saw them priced "VERY" low and I wonder since they are cheap in price, if their construction would be cheap as well? Any of you rock these?

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
MY god!!! I want an 8 string soooooo bad. I've seen Agile Guitars and went to the Rondo site. Are these guitars "good"? I saw them priced "VERY" low and I wonder since they are cheap in price, if their construction would be cheap as well? Any of you rock these?

I currently own 3 agile 8s and yes they are very "good". The build/material quality is extrememly good considering the price, but every once in awhile you MAY have slight cosmetic flaws. Usually not enough to be a concerned with. The neck thru Intrepid I own was virtually perfect and feels super solid. The bolt on Septors I have are REALLY nice too but I always associate neck thru instruments as being higher end. The one had a slightly skewed neck but I just had to unscrew the neck bolts and re-align the neck so it wasnt a big problem, while the other Septor was pretty flawless. But they are cheaper because there is not alot of QC though most small things that slip through you can usually resolve yourself so its worth it, plus Rondo is great about customer service so if it happens to be something youre not satisfied with Kurt will make sure to take care of you.

mgcasella

Reaction score
The reason the prices are so ridiculously low is because Agile sells direct - in other words, it comes from the factory in South Korea to Rondo and then to you. Essentially, there's no "middle man" (such as Musician's Friend) to share in the profits and thus make the price go higher :metal:

I own an Agile AB-3500, as well as an Agile Dual Intrepid and they are AWESOME :hbang:

Do yourself a favor and buy one :agreed:

Latest posts

')