The Official Agile ERG Thread

overdark

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've always wanted an 8er and I considered Agile since they make longer scales and also they're greater for the budget. I've talked to a few other people and I figured out that the 830 Ebony fretboard/ash body is the best one for me. Any thoughts/opinions on this? I've read that mahogany tends to get muddy on extended range, and active pups may be necessary to counter that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I have a mahogany/ebony/passive combination and I dont have any issues with muddiness.
Hey guys, I've always wanted an 8er and I considered Agile since they make longer scales and also they're greater for the budget. I've talked to a few other people and I figured out that the 830 Ebony fretboard/ash body is the best one for me. Any thoughts/opinions on this? I've read that mahogany tends to get muddy on extended range, and active pups may be necessary to counter that.

overdark

Reaction score
I have a mahogany/ebony/passive combination and I dont have any issues with muddiness.

Alright then. But, how much of a difference is ash+ebony vs mahogany+rosewood? I've read it's supposed to sound tighter or something like that. I'm no guru though. And even if there is a difference, how big of a difference is it?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
the body wood will have a larger effect on sound. Wood is wood and is barely a science.

IN GENERAL Ash is on the brighter side with lots of attack.

Mahogany is a blanket name for a ton of different species of wood. However the Mahogany used in Agiles is generally on the darker side tonally. It has a compressed midrange and "boomier" low end. That isn't the best description but thats the best i can do. Just remember that different mahoganies sound different. In my expirience, Sapele (usually classified as mahogany) is pretty bright sounding.

DuneTALE

DuneTALE
Reaction score
I definitely want to pick one of these up one day. I've noticed them over the summer and I almost cried. I bought a Scechter Damien Elite-8 and it's been doing decently so far, other than the pick-ups needing accessive batteries after constant use, but still not too bad for the price. I joined the forum because i'm looking for other guitarists who play 8-strings themselves because we're looking to get a 7-piece band together. If any of you are from Jersey and are down for something new and a bit out there, contact me and my friend ant. We'd greatly appreciate it. We're a studio band as of right now.

www.facebook.com/taletheprojects

Reaction score
Hello everybody, as you can see I am new to this forum. I just have a couple questions regarding an Agile 8-string guitar and was looking for some guidance from someone with experience.

Ok so basically I have decided to buy my first 8-string after a few years of playing an Ibanez 7-string. After looking around I have come to the conclusion that Agile is regarded as THE brand to buy from in the case of someone like me that just wants to experiment. I have looked around and decided that I want a 30" scale with Cepheus pickups and an ebony fretboard.

I have narrowed it down to:

Agile Intrepid Dual 830 EB Charcoal at RondoMusic.com

or​

My first is about neck style. Can anyone give me a little description as to the difference in sound between the bolt-on and neck-thru verson of these guitars? Also, how difficult is it to transition from a 27" scale to a 30" scale in general?​

My second question is about the Cepheus pickups. I have heard good things about them, so I am not planning on switching them out unless they seem just terrible to me. According to the website, the first guitar (the one with the bolt-on neck) comes with "Cepheus "Alpha" passive pickup in the bridge position and Cepheus "Beta" in the neck position", whereas the second guitar (neck-thru) comes with "Dual Cepheus Pickups". I am assuming that this means both pickups are the "Alpha" kind. Is this correct? Or are they the "Alpha" and "Beta"? Also, could someone please tell me a little about the difference between these?​

Thank you very much in advance for helping me out. :bowdown:
Also, any other useful information regarding these two guitars would be very much appreciated. :woot:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, the pickups are the same. And they're actually really good, so I bet you won't replace them right off the bat.
Wrt to the bolt on vs neck thru, I have both and while the neck thru should technically give better fret access, the Agile heels are pretty substantial, so it's not as big of a difference as you might expect. I wouldn't make the neck thru your deciding factor.

What you do need to consider, though, is the scale length. Going from 25.5 to 27 is nothing like going from 27 to 30. First of all, it's double the difference. Secondly, there are few things I can't accomplish on a 27 that I can on a 25.5. But that extra distance really starts becoming significant above that. If you're going to stick with F# standard you should go with 28.625, IMO. You can plenty of tension at that length.
What tuning are you going to use?

Reaction score
Yeah, the pickups are the same. And they're actually really good, so I bet you won't replace them right off the bat.
Wrt to the bolt on vs neck thru, I have both and while the neck thru should technically give better fret access, the Agile heels are pretty substantial, so it's not as big of a difference as you might expect. I wouldn't make the neck thru your deciding factor.

What you do need to consider, though, is the scale length. Going from 25.5 to 27 is nothing like going from 27 to 30. First of all, it's double the difference. Secondly, there are few things I can't accomplish on a 27 that I can on a 25.5. But that extra distance really starts becoming significant above that. If you're going to stick with F# standard you should go with 28.625, IMO. You can plenty of tension at that length.
What tuning are you going to use?

Thank you for your response, Hollowway. In all honesty, I have no idea what kind of tuning I might use with it. The only basis I had for deciding on the 30 is that I read somewhere that Meshuggah uses 30.5 or something like that, and I have had bad experience with scale length coming up short in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be playing a bunch of Meshuggah covers, I was just using them as a basis because I love their sound. Anyways, it will most likely just be in standard or F. I see that Agile makes an Intrepid with the same specs as the first guitar I linked to, but with the 28.625" scale. Hmmmmmmm :scratch: I wonder if I should go with that.

Richie666

Reaction score
I've been wondering what string gauge I should use to put a little more tension on the 7th string and to allow drop A to become less muddy on a 28.625 scale on my intrepid. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been thinking .58. I'm pretty sure it's a .52 on there right now.

I have a .60 lying around, but I'm afraid it will be too thick.

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
I've been wondering what string gauge I should use to put a little more tension on the 7th string and to allow drop A to become less muddy on a 28.625 scale on my intrepid. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been thinking .58. I'm pretty sure it's a .52 on there right now.

I have a .60 lying around, but I'm afraid it will be too thick.

actually i think the .060 would be great depending on what brand it is, but really i dont know your tension preference cause if your used to the .052 (which i have and dont like) then mayb not. anyway just got some octave4plus strings and the 7th for B is a .060

Trauty_MR

Beartrautcci
Reaction score
i have a question....

after playing my fellow band members Agile 8 -string i have fallen in love....so im going to buy one,,,probably in Jan....

BUT, do they really ony supply in the US?
the delivery charge was like $115 dollars to my house in the uk....i thought that this was a bit steep???

any thoughts or ways around this or am i just going to have to man up and pay?

Cheers

DeathMetalDean

ss.org Shredder
Reaction score
Yeah they only supply them in the US, I paied the $115 dollars and got mine last monday :D IT IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER PLAYED lol I completely love it man, man up and pay! It's worth it :D

Anywayz does anyone know what strings they put on the agile intrepid pro 828 ? for when I have to change strings

Richie666

Reaction score
String gauges: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072

They're pretty good about listing all the specs on the Rondo website

Reaction score
The Intrepid 828 no doubt has a unique design and and body shape, but how does it fair better than its interceptor counterpart in the same price in relation to playabilty,feel and comfort? since they are both in the
same price range.
Also and agile interceptor 827 bolt on neck with kahler trem is 799,
but intrepid pro set neck with hardtail is 650, is the interceptor
an inferior guitar with the higher price just for the kahler?

astaroth

Reaction score
Jus saw the newsletter, the deposits for 8-string Agile Pendulums next year are still single PUs ARGH!

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
The Intrepid 828 no doubt has a unique design and and body shape, but how does it fair better than its interceptor counterpart in the same price in relation to playabilty,feel and comfort? since they are both in the
same price range.
Also and agile interceptor 827 bolt on neck with kahler trem is 799,
but intrepid pro set neck with hardtail is 650, is the interceptor
an inferior guitar with the higher price just for the kahler?

Why are you under the impression that the Interceptor is inferior? Given, I personally like the Intrepid more but, really, the only advantage that the Intrepid has is slightly more access to the upper frets.

Also, yes, that Interceptor is only more expensive because of the Kahler. Trems are expensive.

Reaction score
Why are you under the impression that the Interceptor is inferior? Given, I personally like the Intrepid more but, really, the only advantage that the Intrepid has is slightly more access to the upper frets.

Also, yes, that Interceptor is only more expensive because of the Kahler. Trems are expensive.

It seems that rondo's first prototype 8 string was the intrepid so im assuming it was designed from the start for 8 string and 8 string alone, so by merit of attention to design i was wondering was it overall better to its interceptor counterpart which wasnt designed purely for 8 string since its the 7 string model extended.
that's my reasoning, hence why im asking for opinion's on one agaisnt the other to clarify if this is the case, so i can make a more educated decision on a purchase.

')