The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i'm buying an Agile Intrepid 828 this week, i have a few questions. i read a while back that the grover tuners aren't big enough to compensate for thicker strings such as a .80, did they ever fix this? because i really don't feel like getting it bored out.

and also, does anyone play in drop E here? what guage do you prefer for the low E? i use kind of a hybrid set for my 25.5" 7 string, 9s with a heavy .60 on top (its in drop A) so i think an .80 might be the way to go, but i've never played a longer scale guitar before so i really don't know. i'll have to experiment of course, but i'm about to order some single strings right now so i'll have them when the guitar comes.

Neil

Reaction score
Have there been any QC issues with the Pendulum multiscale guitars?

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
Just ordered my Intrepid Pro Dual 830 MN NA!! Can't wait! Should be here by Wednesday at the latest! i'm so pumped!

dashuni

Reaction score
Well, you can tune to pretty much anything at any length by compensating with string tension. So you could tune to E on a 27" or a 28.625", but you'd just need to compensate for the decreased string tension by increasing the gauge. The primary problem with increasing the gauge (i.e. the reason that everyone doesn't use thicker strings and stick with a 25.5" length) is that the thicker the string and shorter the length the more the string behaves like a rod (rather than a string), which means that the harmonic overtones are going to clash...
On the flip side of the issue, if you increase the scale length you end up with either higher tension or thinner strings on the treble side, which sounds worse than the shorter scale length. So really it ends up being a compromise if you plan on playing all over the neck.
If you're going to stick with F# and occasionally go down to E I'd say 28.625" would work really well. And FWIW, in comparing my Intrepid and Interceptor (same body as Septor), I prefer the ergonomics of the Intrepid. When sitting I can easily play all over the neck and it has better high fret access.

I am getting a 28.625" scale 8 string from rondo and was going to tune to EBEADGBe. Do you believe this will work, or not? i was thinking i would need a 0.80 string for the lowest E

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I am getting a 28.625" scale 8 string from rondo and was going to tune to EBEADGBe. Do you believe this will work, or not? i was thinking i would need a 0.80 string for the lowest E

That will be pretty much ideal. Tosin uses .080 I think, for 27" E. From the videos I've seen of him playing clean, there's not enough tension. 28.625" should be good :yesway:

dashuni

Reaction score
thanks alot, i thought it would be enough.. but other people have said that it wouldn't be long enough so i thought 30"... 30" = too long

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
That will be pretty much ideal. Tosin uses .080 I think, for 27" E. From the videos I've seen of him playing clean, there's not enough tension. 28.625" should be good :yesway:

Yea he's using an .080 on the 27" E and White Chapel are using the .080 for the E on their 25.5" LTD 8's since ESP has yet to give us an 8 string with a neck pickup and proper scale. :wallbash:

space frog

Reaction score
I assume the reaper shape is the one just below the trad hornet shape? Then higher fret access must be easier since there is an additionnal cutaway going from like the 17th fret to the 22nd near the high string or something like that.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Badass new finish.
intrepidpro830ebcharcoal1.jpg

Goatfork

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been looking for an 8 for a while now, hopefully an Intrepid, but none of them had quite what I wanted. This is the closest thing yet:

Agile Intrepid Pro 830 EB Charcoal at RondoMusic.com

The specs I wanted was:

Ebony fretboard
Jumbo/extra jumbo frets
Cool headstock/body (Intrepid fits the bill)
One pickup
One master volume
Fixed bridge
Neck-though
27" scale or greater, bigger the better (30" = win)
Dark and cool finish
Reasonable price

This guitar is pretty much exactly what I want, my only issue is that I can't tell with the photos provided if I like the finish or not, and that's where you guys come in. Is it just me, or is the middle section greenish? Also, are the 'wings' of the body a weird brown/black to you? It would make sense because it's called charcoal, but idk if it'll work with a green middle stripe in the middle, lol. Just curious.

Papaoneil

Reaction score
Im in the market for an agile 8 string but have never owned a 7 string, but the ideas that i have in my head lead me to just want to skip the 7 string and go straight for the 8

Latest posts

')