The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shaggydogJV

Reaction score
I Thought this would be an appropriate place to put this video!!!:) Its my Agile Septor 828 with Bare Knuckle pickups (Aftermaths). The guitar is just amazing! and the pickups sound and feel great!

HA! So I'm not the only one who uses all my fingers for picking no matter what I'm playing.

The song is nice too. :hbang:

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Hey guys i was looking at the camo septor 828 :p does anyoen ahve any pics of the camo that arent stock photos?

Zei

Reaction score
So, for my graduation present I'm getting a new guitar from my parents. I decided about a year ago my next guitar would be an 8 string, so I've been looking around at the different options and eventually settled that Agile was the best for the price.

Here's where the problem comes: There are 3 different 8-string options available by Rondo Music, the Intrepid, the Septor and the Interceptor. I've ruled out the Interceptor because I don't want a tremolo bar, but the other two... I don't know the differences between them. Does anyone here have any advice on this matter? Moreso the pros and cons of each. I'm looking at them side by side, but it's all going over my head.

Thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: And would you guys recommend fanned frets or not?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
And would you guys recommend fanned frets or not?

As far as Septor vs Intrepid - not sure, haven't got time to look at the details.
As far as I know though they are just different body shapes? They will each have their own range of qualities and options. One thing I did notice is Intrepids often don't have a neck pup, so those few models are a no in my opinion (entirely up to you!)

What do you plan to tune to? That will be important in your decision. Thankfully, Agile offer many scale length options.

Fanned frets are great on a guitar with 7 strings or more. The more strings, the bigger the benefit. If tuning with a high A string for example, you kinda need a 25.5" on the high end to prevent snapping the string, but might want longer on the low end. If tuning with a low string, you don't NEED a short high end, but might want one because the tone is nicer on short scales for the higher strings.
This is the only fanned 8 they offer:
Agile Pendulum Pro 82527 EB Nat at RondoMusic.com
25.5"-27". Good for tuning BEADGBEA or so. The 27" is sufficient for the standard 8 string tuning F#BEADGBE, and you get to retain the tone of a 25.5" high end. However, no neck pickup, limited to the Cepheus pickup they supply (fanned fret pickups are hard come by).

I would usually say go for fanned frets, but in this case I think you'll benefit more not doing so. You get more scale length options, pickup options etc. And in my opinion if you are tuning to F# or below, go longer than 27" if you can.

Post back with your tuning and I'll give you my opinion and narrow down the guitars tomorrow.

Zei

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, man.

I plan on probably using it in Drop E.

I ask about fanned frets, cause I plan on grabbing a custom when they open next time and noticed that that was an option. I was probably going to get it with the 28.65" scale, as I doubt I'll be going any lower than Drop E. The fanned frets seemed like a good idea since I don't want to sacrifice any tone on the upper strings for such a long scale.

Do you know if I were to get a custom whether or not it would have a neck pup if I got fanned frets?

EDIT: I might be tuning it down a step to EADGCFAD

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Yup would recommend 28.625" or 30" for that, with an .80 gauge should be fine :) On the top end I'd go for as much fan as you can handle.
I don't know what their options for fanning on the customs are. But 28.625"-25.5" / 30"-27" sounds good to me.
I have no idea if they offer neck pickup on the customs or not, sorry :)

Reion

ADVENTURE TIME
Reaction score
Agile Septor Elite 827 EB EMG White at RondoMusic.com
septorelite827ebdncwhite1.jpg

White, Ebony fretboard, 27" scale, 8 strings

Would not mind owning this one! Looks damn good, i'll say

Edika

Reaction score
Without wanting to necrobump this thread (it's been over a month since the last post), I would like the opinion of some experienced members. I didn't want to start a new thread since this exists and is discussing quality of Agiles. I saw this in the Rondo site today:

Agile Septor Elite 727 DNC EB White at RondoMusic.com

Very attractive guitar with nice specs, hipshot bridge, grover tuners, seymour duncan blackouts, ebony fretboard, 27" scale (or 25.5 for people not wanting baritones), neckthrough with multilaminate. My problem with this guitar is the price. I mean with the same amount of money you get a schecter atx blackjack which has similar specs, the differences being a set neck, a TOM bridge, maybe chunkier neck and the 26.5" scale. Aside from the problems and QC issues one might encounter is a flawless Agile comparable with a Schecter atx in terms of quality? I am sure the cost of the quality components is what is increasing the price, but why should someone choose an Agile elite over a Schecter atx? I am not trying to down play Rondo and Agiles because for other models and the les paul clones the pricing is very good.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ The price is not the same. ~490 british pounds for the Agile and ~700 for the Schecter.

Being in France your paying import too so counting that yes, it's not far off. For Americans, the Agiles are a great option. Outside the U.S though, I think they are more something to look at if you can't find the specs you want elsewhere - because of the great amount of options they offer :) You're paying that extra on the import for the specs you want imo.

I don't know about the Schecter but I'd put the Agile I played right between Ibanez and Ibanez Prestige - and the price (including import) sits right there too. Assuming that Schecter is similar quality to the prestige, no, the Agile isn't quite as good.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
Without wanting to necrobump this thread (it's been over a month since the last post), I would like the opinion of some experienced members. I didn't want to start a new thread since this exists and is discussing quality of Agiles. I saw this in the Rondo site today:

Agile Septor Elite 727 DNC EB White at RondoMusic.com

Very attractive guitar with nice specs, hipshot bridge, grover tuners, seymour duncan blackouts, ebony fretboard, 27" scale (or 25.5 for people not wanting baritones), neckthrough with multilaminate. My problem with this guitar is the price. I mean with the same amount of money you get a schecter atx blackjack which has similar specs, the differences being a set neck, a TOM bridge, maybe chunkier neck and the 26.5" scale. Aside from the problems and QC issues one might encounter is a flawless Agile comparable with a Schecter atx in terms of quality? I am sure the cost of the quality components is what is increasing the price, but why should someone choose an Agile elite over a Schecter atx? I am not trying to down play Rondo and Agiles because for other models and the les paul clones the pricing is very good.

I have to say agiles have problems (not every guitar) i have the 727 eb white etc.. is great! but i must say i had the Jeff Loomis FR and was much better (i sold it coz of the neck to thick for me wrist problems)...

the agile is just ok for the price if another brand makes the same with better QC i'd buy the other brand for instance schecter with thinner neck's

Just my opinion...

Reaction score
My local GC (Beaverton, Oregon) has a used Septor RN 828 Camo. I played it for about 15 minutes and I thought it was pretty decent for the price. I prefer big monster frets and the Septor frets are medium so that was a turn off though. Just like every non-locking guitar though once I started doing some extreme string bending the tuning went all out of wack. In that regard I prefer my RGA8 and RG2228 over this particular model because they simply stay in tune. Also, the neck is almost as thin as my Ibanez guitars as well. Overall I thought it was a great guitar though and I'm still thinking about a buying a Interceptor 828 Black Flame with a Kahler and EMG's.

Edika

Reaction score
^ The price is not the same. ~490 british pounds for the Agile and ~700 for the Schecter.

Being in France your paying import too so counting that yes, it's not far off. For Americans, the Agiles are a great option. Outside the U.S though, I think they are more something to look at if you can't find the specs you want elsewhere - because of the great amount of options they offer :) You're paying that extra on the import for the specs you want imo.

I don't know about the Schecter but I'd put the Agile I played right between Ibanez and Ibanez Prestige - and the price (including import) sits right there too. Assuming that Schecter is similar quality to the prestige, no, the Agile isn't quite as good.

In general agiles seem to be nice guitars for what you pay. But this model even though it has nice specs has a similar price tag in the US for the Schecter atx. If you compare prices with Europe and UK then the Schecter seems more expensive but as you said with shipping costs and import tax it comes near the Schecter as you mentioned. For some other models from Rondo, like the multiscales, the 8 strings and some interceptor models it seems to be a decent deal. But this model is just to expensive for the inconsistencies in the QC of Rondo.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The assertion that Rondo sorts through instruments and sends bad ones outside the US seems a little off to me.

Basically, as the story earlier mentions, the partial refund offer when things aren't up to spec is pretty standard. If someone doesn't take it in the US, he takes back the instrument and sells it as B-stock for the price he offers to the original purchaser.

A lot of these instruments are pre-purchased with specific specs. If you buy a model in a color with a particular neck style with a particular fretboard, it doesn't seem likely that he has a pile of instruments with that exact same spec to sort through and hand-select. If he did open all the boxes individually when they come in from the shipping container, there wouldnt be all those stories about guitars not even being close to the specs; he'd have caught that.

From the way my Intrepid came in last Monday, and the markings on the box, the look of the inner packing materials, and so on, I'd say that it hasn't been outside its case and shipping materials since before it was put into that shipping container.

----

It's entirely fair to not want to buy something from a place which doesn't offer returns. Rondo doesn't offer such outside of the US; that shouldn't be a surprise, as Rondo itself has it posted.

It also shouldn't be a surprise that Agiles can sometimes be a miss. Prudence would recommend that one do one's own research, and the brand has *always* had its share of stories, both positive and negative. There has been even more discussion regarding whether it's worth buying from Rondo if you're not in the US.

If you didn't know all this, even though you're an SS.org member... well, it's your choice to search or not.

I understand that options are limited in certain parts of the world. That's unfortunate.

I understand that I'll never have a multimillion dollar inheritance. That's unfortunate.

But that's just life. I have to make the best choices I can, including deciding if I want to take a chance on something with no returns, just as you all do.

Good luck!

Reion

ADVENTURE TIME
Reaction score
That pretty much sums it up right there. There's also the whole thing about how there's inflated reports about negative things, since most people who are happy with their instruments, tend to be too busy playing them to write positive reviews.

I ordered an Agile Intrepid 828 a month ago, and it's awesome. Shipping was fine and no damage, and I live in Norway :) As far as I can tell, the quality is well beyond what I'd expect for that price. There's some tiny tiny marks on the back of the guitar next to one of the string ferrules. Needless to say, it doesn't affect sound, nor appearance.
The pickups are great for metulz, installing a coil tap(easy peasy) gave me the glassy cleans i wanted too. Could i ask for more? Sure, I'd like a fanned fretboard, lundgrens, rare awesome looking woods and a custom finish. But not for $650 ;) (the Darkburst model i got, actually dropped to 599 like right after I bought it.. Damn you lady luck!). So yeah, there you have it. At least one clear account of happyness with Rondomusic's instruments. It's solid as hell, and i could probably smack an orc in the chest plate and knock its wind out without damaging it :p

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
Heeeeey People! I've played guitar for a good time and i want to test a eightstring. I've seen that Rondomusic has good offers but i wonder whats the best of these Agile 8strings? :spock:

Greetings From Norway :hbang:

Need help buying 8string!

Reion

ADVENTURE TIME
Reaction score
Heeeeey People! I've played guitar for a good time and i want to test a eightstring. I've seen that Rondomusic has good offers but i wonder whats the best of these Agile 8strings? :spock:

Greetings From Norway :hbang:

Need help buying 8string!

"The best" is a very subjective term when it comes to guitars, as it boils down to taste in most aspects. What kind of specs are you looking for? Do you want a tremolo unit? 1 or 2 pickups? What kind of scale? Neck-thru or bolt on?
Other than that, all of them are of good quality(for the price, and there are definitely lemons now and again). I recently got a 828 myself, and I'm very happy with it.

')