The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Anyways, what are your specs so far for the semi custom 9?

The specs will be the same as what has worked for me so far, but adding one more string:

25.5" scale length
Ebony fretboard
Neck through
Natural finish
Active pickups

I figure, if the actives are up to EMG snuff, I can slap a pair of wider EMG bass pickups in. I started a thread asking about their suitability a while ago, with this possible upgrade route in mind.

I've been very happy working at 25.5", and three of my four 8-strings are 25.5". I've been working bass guitar a bit more, and am now open to the idea of having a low B0 beneath my low E1. I've gone that low before when I had two eight strings tuned in full fifths, but ultimately came back to low E tuning (E1-A1-D2-G2-C3-F3-A3-D4) because it preserved the chord shapes and habits I've spent more than 30 years learning. Since one of the full-fifth guitars was 25.5", and had a working Bb0, going a half-step higher to B0 shouldn't be a problem.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
The specs will be the same as what has worked for me so far, but adding one more string:

25.5" scale length
Ebony fretboard
Neck through
Natural finish
Active pickups

I figure, if the actives are up to EMG snuff, I can slap a pair of wider EMG bass pickups in. I started a thread asking about their suitability a while ago, with this possible upgrade route in mind.

I've been very happy working at 25.5", and three of my four 8-strings are 25.5". I've been working bass guitar a bit more, and am now open to the idea of having a low B0 beneath my low E1. I've gone that low before when I had two eight strings tuned in full fifths, but ultimately came back to low E tuning (E1-A1-D2-G2-C3-F3-A3-D4) because it preserved the chord shapes and habits I've spent more than 30 years learning. Since one of the full-fifth guitars was 25.5", and had a working Bb0, going a half-step higher to B0 shouldn't be a problem.

Simplicity towards specs. Always works, never fails! And I find more people going towards shorter scales lately with ERG customs... It seems like the odd thing to do on an ERG imo, but I find it more comfortable and better sounding. Interesting tuning also, it's like incorporating the old with the new!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I was thinking about the longer scale lengths, and about how I use instruments of that sort, and I think I'm going to investigate the difference in string spacing between my now fallow Intrepid Pro 828 and my four-string 34" fretless bass. I love fretless, and only use it as a bass, but I've been doing a lot more with my fretless Agile LP 6-string.

If the string spacing can come close to the basses I find specifically usable for bass technique, I might convert the 828 to an 8-string ERB, simultaneously having the frets removed and the fret slots filled. Hmm... I'd also have to go for a more bass-oriented preamp, but I think Artec sells something with stacked knobs which I can drop in, using only the three existing holes... or not, since they don't have a stacked volume/blend pot. I'd need a mids knob to control the "mwah" of the fretless.

I was thinking of selling this, but if it costs less than $200 to do, that could be well worth it....

sh4z

Reaction score
Do you guys think rondomusic will make a 28.x" scale production agile 7 string?

Considering they have made them in 30" before... not sure why there isn't some 28.8" / 28.6"? already! :D

WesleyG

Reaction score
So I am just now starting to take interest into these 8 strings (and am also new to this site, hello all!) I'm all self taught so, I guess I'll just see how it goes. Agile definitely seems to be the way to go, I'm just not looking to drop a heck of a lot. The only thing that is deterring me from the lower end models is the bolt on neck. For a guitar of this size I would think that the bolt on neck might affect sustain or something along those lines, plus I just like the way set/thru necks look. Any feedback?

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
For a guitar of this size I would think that the bolt on neck might affect sustain Any feedback?

Depends on how many days you want it to sustain. I can assure you sustain won't be an issue, as long as you're not a member of Sunn O))).

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
hey guys.. I'm really thinking my current "dream" guitar is the agile pendulum pro dual. I'm wondering, have there been any made in the Ocrean burst color??

I basically just want to know if I could actually potentially find one used or trade or if I'm better off just convincing rondo to make me a custom one. I know the pendulum pro duals now appear to not be availble any more.

This color is just pure hotness:
Agile Septor 827 RN Ocrean Burst at RondoMusic.com

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Typo.

No, the only Pendulums I've seen are Natural, black and quilted red maple.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
It's not that funny. ;) That typo has been popping up on Rondo for about two years now.

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Good to know actually.. cause at first I thought it was a typo and when I re-read it I figured what the hell.. they can name it whatever they want. (Side note: Fixed the title at least)

Thanks for the color confirmation Armada. Now I won't have to look for one :)

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
Just got my Agile Interceptor Pro! Very easy to play, soft and smooth neck! :D
I cant complain about the EMG 808 pickups..
Very thick and spicy sound on clean. ;P

But with my Line 6 on red Metal the Bb and F string is a little muddy in the sound, all the other strings; Perfect.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
Crazy-ass people all cuba divin' in the middle of the damn okean. You ain't never gonna catch me cuba divin' in the damn middle of the damn okean.

I been norkelin', though. 'Yall ever been norkelin'?
:lol: I saw that a while ago, don't remember who it was...
Anyways, DAT FINISH!

space frog

Reaction score
Just got my Agile Interceptor Pro! Very easy to play, soft and smooth neck! :D
I cant complain about the EMG 808 pickups..
Very thick and spicy sound on clean. ;P

But with my Line 6 on red Metal the Bb and F string is a little muddy in the sound, all the other strings; Perfect.

you might wanna check if their intonation is set properly. It's a common bug with the Kahler iirc.

ma5h

8 string marsupial
Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought a used Interceptor 827. Specs: exactly same as the website except Schaller locking tuners, missing nut locks. the previous owner is a guitar-tech in training, so this thing is pretty well taken care of. It shows signs of use; however it feels like its at that point where a guitar is broken in enough to be comfortable but not too old. I m liking it so far.
The neck is a bit chunkier than Ibanez necks in general, but nothing significant. the body is (according to Rondo) "light" mahogany, which is funny because it weighs as much as a medium sized dog or child...or my legs.
the bridge, is an unnecessary and useless thing (for me). I m not a a big term user; therefore having a complicated bridge is pointless. Its currently locked and will hopefully stay that way forever.
The pickups - I must say, the Cepheus' sound great and as Dendroaspis stated in his Agile/Ibanez comparison/review, it looks and sounds a lot like an M8. I have a set of Dimarzio D-activator 8s at home and have been considering putting them in; however having played the Cepheus', I m having second tought....maybe just the bridge?...anyway, I m attaching some early pics, will most more once pickup change has been completed. I will also try to post clips with both Cepheus and D-activators. until then, happy djent/chug.:shred::hbang::wavey:

Attachments

• interceptor1.jpg
    interceptor1.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 39
  • interceptor2.jpg
    interceptor2.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 26
  • interceptor3.jpg
    interceptor3.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 43
  • interceptor5.jpg
    interceptor5.jpg