The Official Agile ERG Thread

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
So I have a highly subjective question that I would like to pose, so I guess I'll ask it and then write the conditions. :coffee:
Should I get a custom shop Pendulum or an Ibanez RG852..

Ok so I want a maple fretboard, 8 string, passive pickups.. and fixed bridge(s). I kind of want a multiscale because I've been playing all the 8's I visit at guitar stores to EBEadgbe and the low E is just a little floppy. The 28 and 5/8 scale for the pendulum is attractive on that bottom string.

I added all the features I want to the Rondo custom shop order and it was only $850.. where the Ibanez is 1700.. I am not too concerned about price, but there is a part of me that wants to get the multi scale and be cheaper.. opinions welcome. Sorry it's kind of a dumb subjective question.

EDIT: I misunderstood their payment scenario. So the pendulum I want would be like $1200.

Not a dumb question at all! I'm a HUGE Agile fan. (No pun intended, lol.) Mind you, I have a strandberg, KxK, Fast, OAF, XEN, Skervesen, etc. And I'm still blown away by the value of Agiles. Obviously, you're not going to get a $1000 Agile that will compete with a $3000 Skervesen, but much of it has to do with appointments, not playability.

The only thing that gives me pause is the custom part. Is there not an in-stock version that meets your needs? I haven't ordered a custom, but I've got an Intrepid Pro 828, an Interceptor Pro 827, and a Renaissance 827. They all took a little finessing to get to a good playing position (aka I had to lower the nut in all of them some) but I'm very happy with them.

BetterOffShred

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all! I'm a HUGE Agile fan. (No pun intended, lol.) Mind you, I have a strandberg, KxK, Fast, OAF, XEN, Skervesen, etc. And I'm still blown away by the value of Agiles. Obviously, you're not going to get a $1000 Agile that will compete with a $3000 Skervesen, but much of it has to do with appointments, not playability.

The only thing that gives me pause is the custom part. Is there not an in-stock version that meets your needs? I haven't ordered a custom, but I've got an Intrepid Pro 828, an Interceptor Pro 827, and a Renaissance 827. They all took a little finessing to get to a good playing position (aka I had to lower the nut in all of them some) but I'm very happy with them.

Thanks for the response. No they don't have any multi scale with maple fret board, or passive for that matter last time I looked. I'm not afraid of working on a nut or whatever either.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Should I get a custom shop Pendulum or an Ibanez RG852..

Ok so I want a maple fretboard, 8 string, passive pickups.. and fixed bridge(s). I kind of want a multiscale because I've been playing all the 8's I visit at guitar stores to EBEadgbe and the low E is just a little floppy. The 28 and 5/8 scale for the pendulum is attractive on that bottom string.

Have you considered an Ormsby GTR? One of their upcoming runs will contain maple-boarded hypemachines, and I imagine they will have some spares available. Their production at WMI has been way behind due to all the CITES nonsense, so it might be a couple more months before they're made, but they seem to check all your other boxes and would only cost a little more than the pendulum. (In fact, they may even be available within the timeframe of a custom order from Rondo. I'm not sure exactly what that would be.)

As an owner of an Intrepid 830 I have nothing but respect for the value of Agile instruments. But given the damn-near-perfect fretwork on my GTR, I personally would rather pony up a little more cash for an Ormsby once we're talking about spending $1k+ on a custom from Agile.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kuro_hasegawa

Reaction score
IMG_0006.JPG Anyone here ever used Kahler trems before? I'm thinking about getting this guitar, but I've no experience with these trems. My Intrepid has a brass block tremolo.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
View attachment 56532 Anyone here ever used Kahler trems before? I'm thinking about getting this guitar, but I've no experience with these trems. My Intrepid has a brass block tremolo.
So I've only used a Kahler once in my life but I still remember it being so amazingly smooth compared to a floyd. The issue with them (going from a buddy who had one and just from random internet forums) is that they have issues staying in tune

kuro_hasegawa

Reaction score
So I've only used a Kahler once in my life but I still remember it being so amazingly smooth compared to a floyd. The issue with them (going from a buddy who had one and just from random internet forums) is that they have issues staying in tune
Couldn't I just put a Kahler locking nut on it?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
View attachment 56532 Anyone here ever used Kahler trems before? I'm thinking about getting this guitar, but I've no experience with these trems. My Intrepid has a brass block tremolo.

I have an Interceptor 827. I had one of the first run models, and I had to shim the neck to get it to the point where I could get the action low enough. Since this one (that you posted) is neck through, that won't be possible, so you'd want to double check that the neck angle on these models is such that you have a lot of room to further lower the saddles from wherever they are stock. Maybe ask Kurt to take a close up of the bridge saddles, and ask if they are already just about bottomed out or not.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score

I prefer Kahler's over Floyds, though owning both I understand how some people really dislike Kahler's. One of the best things about it, is that there is a screw on the back plate that will completely lock the bridge, turning it into a fixed bridge. So even if you dislike the trem, it can be blocked easily.

I have an Interceptor 827. I had one of the first run models, and I had to shim the neck to get it to the point where I could get the action low enough. Since this one (that you posted) is neck through, that won't be possible, so you'd want to double check that the neck angle on these models is such that you have a lot of room to further lower the saddles from wherever they are stock. Maybe ask Kurt to take a close up of the bridge saddles, and ask if they are already just about bottomed out or not.

Which action were you trying to reach? I know you like your action low. My Agile Kahler is from within the last year and it doesn't seem to have the issue you're stating. Then again, I lack the reference point.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned guitars with Floyds, Kahlers, Wilkinsons, Traditional/Vintage trem, Parker, etc. I don't mind the Kahler trem at all, but it does feel vastly different to me, than any other system. Obviously, it still feels like a trem, but the way it pivots it just different. It's difficult to explain, but it's readily obvious once you pick one up, IMO.

As far as function, it's a great device. The feel is really a preference thing - you'll either like it, love it, hate it, or tolerate it. The Floyd Rose system was awesome when it was new, but nowadays, honestly, it's kind of clunky - but that clunkiness has developed into a sort of charm over the years. I think the Kahler system is a lot more clever, but it seems to have failed to become recognized as widely. IDK why.

String changes are a little bit of a learning curve at first, too.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as function, it's a great device. The feel is really a preference thing - you'll either like it, love it, hate it, or tolerate it. The Floyd Rose system was awesome when it was new, but nowadays, honestly, it's kind of clunky - but that clunkiness has developed into a sort of charm over the years. I think the Kahler system is a lot more clever, but it seems to have failed to become recognized as widely. IDK why.

I think that has largely to due with Gary Kahler not licensing his design. Floyd Rose had it and with cheaper parts and such, the bridge proliferated among all guitar makers because dozens of manufacturers could product a 'variation' on it, reducing the cost (Kahler's are relatively expensive compared to Floyds). Another problematic issues, if I recall, was that Floyd had the patent to the top screw locking nut system, so Kahler had their awkward and not the most apt behind the nut string lock system. Now that Kahler has it's own proper locking nut, things have gotten much better. Still another thing I prefer about Kahler's is that you know the quality, they all come from one company rather than the zillions of Floyd variations you could receive on a guitar: licensed, special, pro, made in Germany, original ect, ect.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Which action were you trying to reach? I know you like your action low. My Agile Kahler is from within the last year and it doesn't seem to have the issue you're stating. Then again, I lack the reference point.

Well, mine was from the first generation of the Kahler 8s. So it's very possible Rondo has changed the design of the Agiles since then. It might no longer be an issue. I do like my action low, but not like a ridiculous amount. I love 1.0mm at the 12 fret on the high E, but I'll accept up to 1.5mm. But the problem I had is that I could lower the saddle, but then the string wasn't in the roller - it was coming right off the cam itself. So there needs to be a certain break angle for the Kahler to work correctly, and that first generation didn't have it.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've owned guitars with Floyds, Kahlers, Wilkinsons, Traditional/Vintage trem, Parker, etc. I don't mind the Kahler trem at all, but it does feel vastly different to me, than any other system. Obviously, it still feels like a trem, but the way it pivots it just different. It's difficult to explain, but it's readily obvious once you pick one up, IMO.

String changes are a little bit of a learning curve at first, too.

I think it might be because of the lack of ability to drop all of the strings a significant amount. For myself, I don't like that the high E only goes down 1.5 steps, with the bar pressed to the body. But the lowest strings (especially on an 8) go slack with the bar way less than all the way down. Whereas with a Floyd, I get a decent pitch drop across all strings. I attribute the difference to being that the core of a thick string his higher off the cam center than a thin string, therefore it slackens more when the cam rotates.

What I LOVE about Kahlers is that Gary is like an honorary ERG member. It took forever just to get an 8 string Floyd, and there's simply no way we'll ever see a 9 or 10 string OFR, much less a multiscale variant. Gary is totally into experimenting, and that makes him fit right in with this guitar community. So, given the opportunity to buy a burrito for one of them (my ultimate homage. Cuz let's face it - the only thing better than a burrito is a FREE burrito! Except breakfast foods, like pancakes, french toast, etc. But, that's not even a fair comparison, because breakfast foods trump all other foods. I mean, does anyone get excited when their parents say they're having dinner for breakfast? Ummmm, nope! But breakfast for dinner? Oh, hell yes. But yeah, burritos (excluding breakfast foods) are the best. (Now, I will grant you that pizza is arguably better. But - hear me out on this - pizza is not a finite meal. There is essentially only will power and stomach size to stop one from eating pizza. A burrito is done when you've cleaned your plate. It's not like you have to do that mental battle of, "Should I have another slice?" Because there are no burrito slices to worry about - just the one, whole, glorious bundle of joy!)) I would totally shell out for a burrito for Gary. No offense, Floyd - you do make a better, trem, but don't be such an old fuddy-duddy with this "9 strings?! Why don't you just play a bass!" business!

NickLAudio

Reaction score
My local guitar center had a used Interceptor 827 with the Kahler trem on a floor display. Got all excited to give it a quick meedley meedley, picked it up, neck was bent like a banana with action you could probably shoot an arrow with. Poor thing, don't neglect or abuse your ERGs kids...:noplease:

Slimy

Reaction score
Behold! A custom 8 string acoustic magnetic soundhole pickup made by MJS Custom Pickups! I contacted them about having an 8 string stacked soundhole humbucker made for my Agile Renaissance 827 NAEQ and they did not disappoint. This is made of Richlite, which you would swear is fine grained ebony. The tone is stupendously amazing! It's a vast improvement over the onboard piezo, or any piezo in my opinion. It is useable straight into a flat mixer channel, delicious with mids cut to taste. These are available as a drop-in setup to plug in to the existing Gentro onboard preamp's 2.5mm jack and include a piece of copper foil tape with wire soldered to it that you use to ground the strings. They work for guitars with no electronics as well, but you have to install an endpin jack. I chose to install the included jack and wire the pickup direct to it passive and process it outboard with a Dano EQ pedal and a Sansamp Para Driver DI. It's the perfect pickup for throwing 1200 Watts at 2 Greenboy f112s and avoiding feedback. I call it the Quackslayer 8000, that's not an official MJS designation. http://www.mjscustompickups.com/ (not an endorser, just a happy customer)

MJSGB2.jpg MJSGB1.jpg MJS (1).jpg MJS (2).jpg

Last edited:

plainfaced

Eight Or Die!
Reaction score
Hi all.

Been in the market for an 8 String for a short while.. Love the look and price of Agile.

Only problem is, im in Australia... So with shipping from Rondo music, it almost doubles the price of a guitar. To the point where I could just get an JS32-8 or RG8.

Are there any distributors in Aus? Anyone found cheaper shipping? Or do Agile ALL come from Rondo?

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.

Been in the market for an 8 String for a short while.. Love the look and price of Agile.

Only problem is, im in Australia... So with shipping from Rondo music, it almost doubles the price of a guitar. To the point where I could just get an JS32-8 or RG8.

Are there any distributors in Aus? Anyone found cheaper shipping? Or do Agile ALL come from Rondo?
The only dealer is Rondo, part of his no-middleman from factory to customer thing. Sorry. Perhaps check the used market?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
To the custom order guy. I ordered a custom Agile in 2016 and was fantastic. I only sold it because I put nearly invisible fretboard markers on a maple board, and frankly I can’t play for shit like that.

Great instrument, awesome build quality. I had a neckthrough 725 fwiw.