The Official Agile ERG Thread

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
And to the question of "brightness"...

What i was trying to achieve through the specs was an overall balance to the tone, but with a primary focus on excellent clarity in the lower register. Most people will be using these for low tunings, and if they aren't clear down to the lowest notes, then we've missed the mark. The main factor in both the Standard and Pro models is the 28.625" scale length. That's going to really help keep things clear and tight down low.

Ash + maple is a pretty bright and snappy combination. Most of the time it's associated with Strats. But throw a nice beefy humbucker in the mix, and you'll likely hear the "twang" turn into a really nice, articulate growl, especially tuned low.

The neck-thru model will indeed get a good chunk of its tone from the maple neck running through the body, and the EMG 808, which in basswood, i found to have a very nice "stringy" and articulate sound. The mahogany wings should help warm things up a bit.

As NegaTiveXero said, it's easier to tame a bit of extra high end than it is to try to get articulation and note definition out of a muddy sounding instrument. I'm pretty confident that the parts and materials chosen for these guitars will work out nicely. I'm already thinking of adding an EMG BQC active EQ to mine (active treble, bass and sweepable midrange) and running at 18v, just to zero in on that perfect tone with the single pickup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoff

Reaction score
I'm already thinking of adding an EMG BQC active EQ to mine (active treble, bass and sweepable midrange) and running at 18v, just to zero in on that perfect tone with the single pickup.

I really like the idea of an EQ on the guitar. Personally I think I'd prefer some internal solution if that's possible with the EMG pickup. Just to keep things "clean" on the outside.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
A transparent color on the fretboard would have been cool :D I guess someone will do this on a custom :agreed:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
You know, I think I will really appreciate a large bass-sized body on one of these. One of the reasons I like my Explorer so much is that, sitting down, the extra body width below the strings really pushes the neck up into a more comfortable range for playing.

Granted, I also like the way that the Explorer doesn't put much body between you and the strings on the top... but just chiming in on one of the strengths of the design.

Dammit, I can't wait to hear more about these... I've had general GAS for quite some time now, and I can afford to get myself a graduation present... so the waiting is somewhat painful! :)

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
Kurt emailed me today asking if I want to go through on the ebony fretboard on my custom (as opposed to rosewood) for a decent upcharge. He says if I want ebony, he'll order 50 pieces of it and start a production model with ebony to sell off the stock.

So who's interested in a blacker-than-the-blackest-of-black Intrepid 8? :D

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Kurt emailed me today asking if I want to go through on the ebony fretboard on my custom (as opposed to rosewood) for a decent upcharge. He says if I want ebony, he'll order 50 pieces of it and start a production model with ebony to sell off the stock.

That's pretty cool that he's willing to do that. Sadly, I have one ebony fingerboard guitar, and that's enough. I'm sick of dealing with it cracking, even if I take good care of it.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score

ME!!!!!

DyvimTvar

Reaction score
Well, I've had the monies in the bank for ages now, I'm hovering round waiting to click that "Buy" button hehehe! :metal:

The grey ash one is stunning, glad to see a passive in there!

Våd Hamster

Reaction score
I'd hit it :D

It would be so nice to see an affordable 8 for a change.... and one that looks sweet too

DyvimTvar

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't even mind the ash one in the grey with an EMG, I just think it's really pretty, but having the passive would be awsome, I'd be straight in contact with BK or get an M8.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about the ash Intrepid with a BKP cPigs is not helping my GAS :lol:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't even mind the ash one in the grey with an EMG, I just think it's really pretty, but having the passive would be awsome, I'd be straight in contact with BK or get an M8.

My problem with both of those solutions is that they cost a LOT in the US. I also really like actives anyways... and not having to mod the 8 string right out of the box is very appealing.

Not that I won't be 18V-ing it and possibly adding locking tuners, mind you.

DyvimTvar

Reaction score
Hell, they cost a bloody fortune here as well! It's just nice to see the possiblility of having a lovely 8-string without the big holes from EMGs when you swap over to passives. I don't mind either way, I put up for an Agile 8 and I have the monies in the bank, I'm just hoping they can do it, it'd be made of win.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before but what's the final neck construction for the ash one? Bolt on or set neck?

')