The Official Agile ERG Thread

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not entirely surprised the burst ones weren't as popular. It's a much more traditional-looking finish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised there are any left! Well, now would be the time to get them.
Well in my case, I'm holding out for 25.5 or 27" model. 28.625" is just way too long for me when it comes to my main player guitars. The current scale length has entered novelty territory. Plus, that scale length does change the tonal aspects of the higher strings. I also know that I'd unfortunately end up selling it due to lack of comfort. :(

25.5" FTW! Click to see my old 25.5" 8-stringer.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Well in my case, I'm holding out for 25.5 or 27" model. 28.625" is just way too long for me when it comes to my main player guitars. The current scale length has entered novelty territory. Plus, that scale length does change the tonal aspects of the higher strings. I also know that I'd unfortunately end up selling it due to lack of comfort. :(

I don't see Rondo producing anything shorter than 27" scale, the market just isn't there...

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score

That 8-string is awesome! I'd be happy if I could get my hands on a second 8-string that was 25.5" scale so I could tune it BEADGBEA. If Kurt makes a 25.5" scale run, I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Having a F#BEADGBE tuned 8-string and a BEADGBEA 8-string would cover pretty much all of my needs, and I could sell off the rest of my guitars.

So, how different is the tonal change of the higher strings for a 28.625" scale guitar? Thanks for any help you can offer in this area.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see Rondo producing anything shorter than 27" scale, the market just isn't there...
Oh well....
If we can play 25.5" 7-strings, I just don't see the point of stretching out a scale length over 2" just to get 5 more notes from an 8th string. :shrug:

Believe me, 25.5" works just fine.

So, how different is the tonal change of the higher strings for a 28.625" scale guitar? Thanks for any help you can offer in this area.

The higher strings tend to loss that "zing" that you get from standard scale. It's a duller, flatter tone overall. Longer scale yields more of a bass guitar tone. My 30" baritone I had sounded radically different from my 7-string & that has the same tunings. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from on that. I guess I want my guitar to sound LIKE A GUITAR & if you go to far w/ the scale length, you're getting into bass territory.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon, I completely agree with you that 25.5" works fine, I have a Dean Avalanche in F# and my other guitarist has a RG7321 in F# right now for a new song we're doing. We only have those to work with right now, so we can make it work.

That said, it's not ideal. I think 27" is, however. Your whole thing about there being no point in extending 2" for 5 notes completely misses the point. It's there to make the 24 notes on that string not sound like anus.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
Oh well....
If we can play 25.5" 7-strings, I just don't see the point of stretching out a scale length over 2" just to get 5 more notes from an 8th string. :shrug:

The higher strings tend to loss that "zing" that you get from standard scale. It's a duller, flatter tone overall. Longer scale yields more of a bass guitar tone. My 30" baritone I had sounded radically different from my 7-string & that has the same tunings. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from on that. I guess I want my guitar to sound LIKE A GUITAR & if you go to far w/ the scale length, you're getting into bass territory.

I was also in the small pool of people that didn't want the eight over 27" but I can definitely understand why we didn't go that route... since there are three production eights with a 27" and one with a 25.5" the next logical step would be to Spinal Tap the eight string community..

It will be a nice guitar, no doubt. so i'm not complaining. I know I'm going miss how the higher notes will sound, but that's what all my other guitars are for. :metal:

Shannon, I completely agree with you that 25.5" works fine, I have a Dean Avalanche in F# and my other guitarist has a RG7321 in F# right now for a new song we're doing. We only have those to work with right now, so we can make it work.

That said, it's not ideal. I think 27" is, however. Your whole thing about there being no point in extending 2" for 5 notes completely misses the point. It's there to make the 24 notes on that string not sound like anus.

same here, I've learned to use my 25.5" in F# and yes, it did sound funky. but honestly, it wasn't that bad at all.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was also in the small pool of people that didn't want the eight over 27" but I can definitely understand why we didn't go that route...

Actually we didn't go that route because a poll was posted and the overwhelming response was for 28"+

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/49977-rondo-8-string-scale-length-poll.html

I do however agree that an additional model eventually with a 25.5" or even 25" scale length would be cool to allow an additional high string :agreed:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Even at 24.75" the low B is fat and full on the AX7521, but I do have a 28.625" scale 7 and it is not muddy or "bassy" as suggested. I think anything from 25.5" to 30" can be made to work just fine for an 8.

Hoff

Reaction score
Agreed. Even at 24.75" the low B is fat and full on the AX7521, but I do have a 28.625" scale 7 and it is not muddy or "bassy" as suggested. I think anything from 25.5" to 30" can be made to work just fine for an 8.

I agree. The nicest seven I've played yet was a custom shop Mayones with a 25.4" scale, and the B string didn't warble at all!

I think that it's a good choice to go with a longer scale for the Agiles though. Guess theres a better chance of getting clarity F# string this way.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
Actually we didn't go that route because a poll was posted and the overwhelming response was for 28"+

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/49977-rondo-8-string-scale-length-poll.html

I do however agree that an additional model eventually with a 25.5" or even 25" scale length would be cool to allow an additional high string :agreed:

ACTUALLY that's what I was talking about. I probably just should have talked about the poll directly though:lol: but like I said I don't care too much since I've never played anything over 27".

except for how those higher notes might sound. I love the extra space to move around up there but I'm not too sure about how it sounds. DAMN PHYSICS.:ugh:

I hope rondo releases the eight string it other scales too. :agreed:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just a minor cosmetic question... What will the logo on the peg head look like? And will it be inlay'd, sticker, or painted ? Cheers ;)

I'm guessing the headstock will look something like the one on this:

Agile_Intrepid_Pro_828.png

As for the logo, i could care less. It could be scrawled on there with a red Crayola for all i care.

nuclearvoodoo

Circles Guitarist
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Swineshead APEX pickup for my Agile Intrepid Standard as a replacement for the Agile brand pickup. Would there be any issues with this? Or should it fit nice and easy (no gaps etc) ?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Considering that the Swinesheads are sized the same as an 808 while the pups in the Standard look to be more 'normal' sized passive pickups it would probably not fit without routing.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think the Swinesheads are meant to match the mounting screw placement on the 808, and to fit inside the same cavity. Because they still have mounting tabs, they'll have gaps around the shoulders when placed in an 808 cavity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Agile passive pickup is close to or identical to the Swineshead dimensions, since we provided those to Kurt as an example of what he could do in order to give people aftermarket options.

HellMinor

nycthbris
Reaction score
ok so seriously when will we know if this is happening....I REALLY want one!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok so seriously when will we know if this is happening....I REALLY want one!

Actually pre-orders have already been taken for both the Pro and Standard and both models are sold out for the initial run. There should be another run of them assuming there are no problems with the initial builds. IIRC the first run is being delivered around August, so I would guess orders for the second run would be taken in September.

Drage

Reaction score
Looks like I need to keep some spare cash around once September comes....

')