The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
I picked up my Intrepid for the first time in a few weeks tonight and noticed that the fretboard seems to have shrunk a little bit and the frets are now pushing the filler out of their slots along the edges of the fretboard. I'll have to take a file to it. But overall, i'm still blown away with how resonant my Intrepid Standard is. I think Ash may be my new favourite body wood.

Before you file the fret edges, check to see if it's a dryness issue. Humidity control is huge for acoustic guitars, but is still an issue with solid-body electrics. Wood shrinks across the grain when it gets dried out. I have noticed this very problem on the maple fretboard of my Telecaster, and when I start storing the guitar in the case with a humidifier (like the Oasis or a Dampit) the problem goes away after about a week. In places where you have to use forced-air heat it can get pretty extreme, like 25% RH or lower. Guitars like 45-60% RH.

With a fretboard as wide as the Intrepid, it's probably even more pronounced. If you file the frets and it turns out it's just dryness, when the wood expands again (late Spring after you turn your heat off and it gets humid outside) you will have issues.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Admittedly, my house is rather dry in the winter, and nothing is really going to change that. It doesn't seem to be as much the fret ends poking out as it is the filler getting pushed out. The fret ends right on the corner edge of the fretboard are still fine.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
wow that really makes me fear for my guitars being stored at my fathers place in florida. the humidity is pretty extreme there and so bad for guitars. but he has them in a room with a dehumidifier. theyve been sitting there going on a year i think.

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
I'm getting that feeling...

You know that feeling?

When you check your UPS tracking number on a Saturday, and see that your new guitar is less than 20 miles away from you, and that it will sit there for another day before it is delivered to you.

:mad::mad::mad::scream::scream::scream: :mad::mad::mad:

Anybody in the bay area down for a UPS raid?

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
I'm getting that feeling...

You know that feeling?

When you check your UPS tracking number on a Saturday, and see that your new guitar is less than 20 miles away from you, and that it will sit there for another day before it is delivered to you.

:mad::mad::mad::scream::scream::scream: :mad::mad::mad:

Anybody in the bay area down for a UPS raid?

I've got that feeling right now. It would be so much better if I could go pick it up... it's sitting 5 miles from my house. :mad:

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
You know that feeling where you get your new guitar and the nut has a big chip out of it beside the low F and you have to box it up and wait for UPS to show up and take it back so it can get fixed and then wait for it to be shipped back to you.
I'm getting that feeling now.:scream:

mmotorsport

Reaction score
Anybody get a Charcoal or Ghostburst this run?............

Pics please........

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So, what's with all the people receiving their axes and not posting their own pics?!

(Oceanburst Pro owners, I'm looking at you!)

Two more days ...

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
So, what's with all the people receiving their axes and not posting their own pics?!

Two more days ...

I know, right!! I havent even seen a single pickup standard posted. Did they do them this last run??

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Two more days ...
Soon! My OB pro is en route. I'll do a pic story after: A) I attempt to smuggle it into the house, and B) I get caught and yelled at by my wife for buying yet another guitar. :)idea:Is it too much of a stretch to claim that I'm buying a 28.625" scale guitar for my 4 year old? )

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
No, the middle of the week. I wasn't in on this pre-order, so I got one of the left over ones. I should have gone for the quicker shipment, though, because this wait is KILLING ME and not worth the $15 or whatever it would have cost to get it here sooner. :wallbash: Oh well. I'll use the extra few days to stretch my fingers the extra 3.125".

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Mine's due in next Friday. I guess I'm the only one who's not pissing myself in anticipation. :lol:

Adriatic

Reaction score
i get my std. charcoal dual pup tomorrow and i have something a little xtra special to show in pic's with the guitar tomorrow...

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I'll see about taking pics today. I did a video but Youtube doesn't want to upload it, and the pics my I took with my phone aren't compatible with my mac.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
So I changed the strings on my Intrepid to some I had lying around. I had a pack of D'Addario 9-46's and I added a 56 and a 68 from a baritone pack I never used. I originally tuned to low E standard, but the 68 wasn't tight enough, so I tuned to F instead. I was surprised when the 68 felt really good at F. It wasn't flubby at all and it sounded fine. The first 6 strings were a little tight for my tastes, and the 56 wasn't doing too well at Bb, but the 68 was just about perfect for F. When I get some new strings I'll try it again at E, but I'm taking this opportunity to learn some Meshuggah songs (Straws Pulled at Random and Combustion for starters).

Also, the EMG is really bugging me. It works decently for Meshuggah-esqe metal, but for songs that I write it's completely wrong. There's almost no definition at all and I can barely here individual notes while playing chords. I can't wait to get some Q-Tuners in there.

')