The Official Agile ERG Thread

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
There are clearly stated and verified tonal characteristics of the pickups I have selected, but the same cannot necessarily be said for body woods. I have literally been reading forums and builder websites for months trying to make sense of which wood I should go with, and simply cannot do it. However, based on experience, and descriptions and reviews of pickups, I definitely know how I want them to perform.

To break down my preferences, I would say this:

Fingerboard: I strongly prefer the feel of rosewood/ebony over finished maple. While my comparison is between completely different guitars, I also preferred rosewood over ebony for cleans. It seemed to have more 'give' and warmth.

Bridge pickup: I use this position for tight, lower-register riffing (Petrucci - Jaws of Life), djenting (Periphery - The Walk), palm muting, and coil-split for twangy/snappy biting sounds (Incubus - Sick Sad Little World). 'Tight' and 'hard' are terms I would use to describe my desired bridge tone.

Neck pickup: I use this position for jazz-style chording and phrasing, I like a darker but clear tone here. I don't do 'shred-solos', so that is not a priority from the neck. 'Smooth' and 'liquid' are terms I would use to describe my desired neck tone.

Piezo: I want a guitar with hipshot bridge so that I can have this. I have a Qtuner in another guitar and love it, but would like to have the option for the bright clarity that the Qtuner has, as well as a darker, warmer tone of a jazz-voiced neck pickup. I will use the piezo for brighter, more hi-fi chording than the neck. 'Clear' and 'crisp' sounds are what I want to achieve w/ the piezo.

Because of my preferences for each position, it is hard to decide which wood can cover all that ground, whereas I know the various pickups that can address each sound.

With all that said, do I make any more sense? Unorthodox approach, I know, but thats what I do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
For starters, if you are feeling the fretboard at all, you're doing it wrong.

Second, wood is the starting place, not the pickups, as pickups can sound drastically different in different tone woods.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
by feel, i meant the response of the fretboard, via the strings to my fingers, not that i was making contact w/ the board with my fingers.

and if you all insist that i start with wood choice first, which of the two, mahogany or ash, can be both warm in the neck and tight in the bridge?

It seems from what i've read that mahogany would be better for my neck tones, but ash may be better for my bridge tones.

what do you say?

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I think you should stick with mahogany. it will help on your thick neck tone, also +1 for rosewood. As for the bridge, the aftermath doesnt seem to need much help in the tight department from the samples Ive heard.

Still, my best advice is to pm zimbloth or nolly , since they seem to know what BKP fits best with what wood and style.

EBEADGBE

Reaction score
Just as a disclaimer, I have an intrepid pro 828, and have recently just received the douglas BCG-200 3/4 BK short scale bass case. It does not fit. The guitar measures about a foot and 3/4 inch in the body, which I believe is the same dimension as the case. But the thickness of the case and the padding on the inside cut that dimension by at least an inch. Alexguge, did you run into this issue...???

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
^ :lol: i love the name

i emailed kurt about this last week and didnt get a reply. good thing i didnt just go ahead and buy it though. is there any way to kind of stuff the guitar in there or beat down some of the padded areas so it will fit? i know it sounds like a terrible thing to do to a case but :shrug:

EBEADGBE

Reaction score
Hah thanks man! :]
Well unfortunately, thing is I read on this particular thread that someone was in contacts with Kurt and he said that would fit so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Yeah...I definitely tried to shove it in there...hah, which I just did NOT feel comfortable doing. I could provide a picture when I have more time....but basically, it's as if you have a bunch of clothes in a cardboard box and you close the top, but its bulging out the top so as to created a "dome" kind of effect. THAT's what it felt like, like it's not even close, I was not able to get it in there.

I emailed Kurt about it, hopefully that qualifies as defective and I don't have to pay return shipping AND new shipping for another product hah.

Black_tear

Reaction score
I bought one myself and i'm from Portugal. Everything went fine. As long as you know the costs involved there's no reason to be afraid.

EBEADGBE

Reaction score
Ok gotcha...
Well good news is Kurt told me yesterday that the agile cases should be in the first week of december. As far as I know, that's the only way to go, case wise. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to do searches for "8 string guitar hard cases." Maybe it makes sense though, given their popularity among most music stores. Just make sure you DON'T buy the douglas 3/4 short scale bass case in place of something else, it is not even a close fit.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Slightly retasked this thread, it is now officially for all things Agile 8 string related. So if you have a question, or a new model gets posted to the Agile site, etc etc this is where it goes.

NGD threads are an exception so if you buy one and want to post a thread about it go for it :D

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 MN Bloodburst at RondoMusic.com

Definantly liking this one. The neck thru looks sick. :) 28.825 is pretty awesome too. How are the passives? Was thinking of getting some BK Coldsweats with it. Just wondering if the stock pups are ok, would not mind sticking with those.

hey man, just got this same guitar! i will not lie to you it is badass. hah as long as you the hands to use it! but anyway the stocks are aightt i guess but def get the bkps, im bought to buy the new aftermath soon it looks even tighter than coldsweats. NOTE: buy new strings. the stock strings are not that great and too loose on the low end. and ive ordered some octave4plus strings soon to come!

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
any word on when the next run of 82527s will be out?
mahogany w/ ebony and no trem would be 100% perfect for me

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
Are the standard Cepheus pickups the exact same size as a Lundgren M8? i want to change pickups without needing to drill in my guitar:lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Are the standard Cepheus pickups the exact same size as a Lundgren M8? i want to change pickups without needing to drill in my guitar:lol:

I took some comparison pictures a while back.

Just for fun, I decided to take pictures of some different 8-string pickups. In order from left to right are an Agile Cepheus bridge, a Lundgren M8 bridge, and a Bareknuckle Black Dog bridge. I used the Black Dog instead of my Warpig, because the tabs on the Warpig are cut up to fit in the Intrepid.

8spusf.jpg

8spusb.jpg

You can see that the BKP has a bigger baseplate and much wider tabs compared to the other two, so that should give an idea of how much will need to be taken off to get it to fit. The Lundgren and Cepheus have pretty similar dimensions. The M8 is slightly bigger and has slightly wider tabs than the Cepheus with smaller screw holes than both of the other two. I'm hoping I don't have to drill the tabs out to accommodate bigger screws. The BKP looks a bit messy, but the other BKPs I have don't look like that. You can see where it looks like two 6-string bobbins were cut and put together to make an 8-string bobbin. This is probably an older pickup (I got it used), as my Warpig 8s don't look like that. I find it kind of funny that the Cepheus pickup looks cleaner and more professionally put together from the front than the Lundgren (and in this case, the BKP as well), since that's not really the case.

I think I ended up having to drill the holes and trim the tabs a bit on the M8.

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
I took some comparison pictures a while back.

I think I ended up having to drill the holes and trim the tabs a bit on the M8.

Awesome!

I have a Septor 827 and i bought Blackouts to it since it said on the rondo site that the cavity had been routed to fit other pickups. Then Kurt told me, when i already had got the guitar that it was a "transition" year or something, so only some of the new Septors got the bigger cavity.

I can only change pickups if they are almost the exact same size as the Cepheus:wallbash:

mgcasella

Reaction score
Awesome!

I have a Septor 827 and i bought Blackouts to it since it said on the rondo site that the cavity had been routed to fit other pickups. Then Kurt told me, when i already had got the guitar that it was a "transition" year or something, so only some of the new Septors got the bigger cavity.

I can only change pickups if they are almost the exact same size as the Cepheus:wallbash:

Hey bud I know it can be scary taking a Dremel and routing a guitar pickup cavity - especially in a new Agile! If it makes you feel any better, I had to do that in order to get a pair of BKP's in my brand new Agile Intrpeid and I had never used a Dremel before :eek: However, everything turned out just fine and it was great to get the pups in and not have to pay $100+ to have some guy do it for me :metal:

Just practice on a few pieces of wood first if you're nervous - I'm sure you'll be just fine :agreed:

astaroth

Reaction score
Kurt's newsletter says no new models this year. Damn! I want my dual PU Pendulum!

')