The official Ibanez ZR Piezo Mod...

• Thread starter shotgunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunn

Reaction score
Hey guys!!!

I started this back in October of 2009. Then H20 set out to destroy my soul. My studio flooded due to a crack in the foundation. 2 months and $3500 later I was 99% finished, then my ejector pump crapped out, and I DO mean CRAPPED OUT, feces EVERYWHERE!!!! THEN my outdoor faucet ruptured and flooded my laundry room, crawlspace AND front room, then my 4 yr old son was making a wave pool in the tub one day. I told him to stop, he didn't I got walked away. When I went back in there was water all the way out to the door leaking beneath my (self installed) NEW laminate floor. I cleaned the mes (screamed and yelled) then went to find solice in my studio.

Then I hear, drip, drip, drip, drip... I think to myself no, NO, NO, NOO!!!!!!! This is NOT happening... SUre enough, water was leaking from the LIGHT FIXTURE in the closet of my studio...

Anyway, that is why this took soooooooofricken long... Not to mention all the uphill battle that directly pertain to the mod itself...

Here it is...

The first ever Ibanez ZR Piezo Mod...

The first saddle, testing the width and length...

ZRMod06.jpg

All 7...

ZR1.jpg

ZR2.jpg

ZR3.jpg

ZR4.jpg

ZR5.jpg

It was at this point that I realized the strings would sit WAAAAAY too high off the fretboard. Not to mention the fact that the whammy bar was useless since the bridge bottomed out in the cavity. I would have to route a new bridge cavity deeper into the VERY slim S series body. I also moved the entire route 1/4" further from the nut, plugged up the post holes and redrilled them further from the nut. This compensates for the new string break point and helps the intonation.

Since I needed to route the surface of the guitar I needed a flat surface to rest the router on. So I made a VERY rough outline of the guitar and sandwiched MDF around the guitar. This gave me a nice flat surface to route off off. This also meant that I did not have to remove ALL of the wiring that had already been completed so masterfully.

It was here that I went too far with my oversized flush trim router bit that I was not used to using like this...

ZR_oops3.jpg

ZR_oops2.jpg

ZR_oops1.jpg

Sometimes the mark of pure genious isn't about not making any mistakes at all... It's all about how you overcome and hide them...

ZRroute1.jpg

ZRroute2.jpg

Here you can see the dowel I used to plug the old post holes. I used poplat cause it is a hardwood and cheap.

ZRcompleted11.jpg

Ready for priming...

ZRcompleted10.jpg

Primed & painted...

ZRcompleted10.jpg

ZRcompleted13.jpg

New post holes drilled, cavity painting complete...

ZRcompleted03.jpg

Electronics masterpiece, NO ROUTING AT ALL, not even for a battery.

ZRcompleted08.jpg

ZRcompleted07.jpg

Piezo wires from bridge...

ZRcompleted06.jpg

On its way back to Canada...

ZRcompleted15.jpg

The only demo video I recorded was before it was totally complete. It was at the point where I realized the guitar simply could not be intonated. From there I was deeply depressed and took SEVERAL much needed weeks off from this project.

PM me for details or pricing if you are interested.

Enjoy,

shotgunn

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
hey man, glad to hear you are still around!!!

i was wondering what was going on in your life!!!

sorry to hear about H2o..from now on only vodka ok?!!! :lol:

this mod looks badass as always, and i am really looking forward to some video!!

Stay dry & safe!!!

shotgunn

Reaction score
Thanx man!!! My wife and also had our third child. (he's 9 months old now) I had a couple shift changes at work too. From 2nd to 3rd shift then from 3rd back to 2nd.

Crazy times man...

hey man, glad to hear you are still around!!!

i was wondering what was going on in your life!!!

sorry to hear about H2o..from now on only vodka ok?!!! :lol:

this mod looks badass as always, and i am really looking forward to some video!!

Stay dry & safe!!!

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
May i ask why you routed the bridge pocket lower instead of just shiming the neck higher?

shotgunn

Reaction score
Besides that fact that it never entered my mind as a legitimate possibility...

I went this route because the trem was useless due to the amount I had to lower it in effort to compensate for the added string height. Shimming the neck pocket is only an viable option when it is very slight, IMO. This would have been VERY extreme. The neck needs to be mounted very rigidly to the body. Not to mention that the required amount of shimming would drastically alter the feel when playing the 'meedely meedely' notes in the upper cutaway.

Shimming certainly would have been simpler. In fact the owner of this guitar may still end up shimming it slightly.

Thanx,

shotgunn

May i ask why you routed the bridge pocket lower instead of just shiming the neck higher?

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Besides that fact that it never entered my mind as a legitimate possibility...

I went this route because the trem was useless due to the amount I had to lower it in effort to compensate for the added string height. Shimming the neck pocket is only an viable option when it is very slight, IMO. This would have been VERY extreme. The neck needs to be mounted very rigidly to the body. Not to mention that the required amount of shimming would drastically alter the feel when playing the 'meedely meedely' notes in the upper cutaway.

Shimming certainly would have been simpler. In fact the owner of this guitar may still end up shimming it slightly.

Thanx,

shotgunn
oh ok thnx for the info!:shred:

')