The Official Lace Music Products Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
IMG_20120605101209.jpg

Now to sort pickup cavities so they look nice. Curious to see how this one will turn out! :D

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
IMG_20120605101209.jpg

Now to sort pickup cavities so they look nice. Curious to see how this one will turn out! :D

Did you order the 4.5 inch one for the bridge? I suggest you offset the pickup a little so that it picks up the 8th string with both bars

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Nope. The magnetic field is substantial enough, and the tip of one bar barely reaches tge string yet does so with no issues. Judging from other experiments with this sort of unit, I don't foresee any trouble.

The pickup is pretty much just sitting there in the pic, with no real positioning whatsoever. ;)

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Nope. The magnetic field is substantial enough, and the tip of one bar barely reaches tge string yet does so with no issues. Judging from other experiments with this sort of unit, I don't foresee any trouble.

The pickup is pretty much just sitting there in the pic, with no real positioning whatsoever. ;)

I asked cause the same happened to my fanned too.I just opted for the 8th string to be covered by both bars.The first string sounds fine . Sure there will be no real trouble,I'm just talking about optimization here

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
There really isn't much to optimize when the magnetic field picks the string fine and has no inconsistency woes, really. It would likely be a problem with weaker magnets, assuming a narrow field around a pole, for instance.

Offsetting the pickup would originate potential imbalances from a tonal standpoint, as you change which part of the string is being picked up. Should this approach have proven troublesome, I'd have got a replacement 5" DB, personally. Then again, I'm quite picky about this sort of thing.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
There really isn't much to optimize when the magnetic field picks the string fine and has no inconsistency woes, really. It would likely be a problem with weaker magnets, assuming a narrow field around a pole, for instance.

Offsetting the pickup would originate potential imbalances from a tonal standpoint, as you change which part of the string is being picked up. Should this approach have proven troublesome, I'd have got a replacement 5" DB, personally. Then again, I'm quite picky about this sort of thing.

When i say offset I don't mean angling the pickup (not sure if that came by)

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Yeah, it's what I understood at least! :)

Nah i meant move it lengthwise of the parallel to the bars axis (I hope that makes sense too otherwise I'll need to draw it :lol: ) .That maybe would require some minimal routing of the cavity in the edges clearly due to the shape of the x-bar vs your old pickup.If that's not possible,just leave it that way it's gonna play good anyways :)

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to be buying another deathbar for another guitar!

Pedantic

(Djent pun)
Reaction score
Is there a passive sized pickup for an eight? If not how difficult would it be to route?

Lace Music Products

Reaction score
Gutiar ERG great Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes visited us last week to see and hear the latest in the Alumitone X-Bar and Deathbar setups. Look for some big news soon!

')