The Official Met Your Musical Heroes Thread.

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I played hackeysack with Ollie from All That Remains! Waiting in line to get in the doors in front of a small venue and their Bus was just parked on the street right in front of us. I used to keep a sack on me so i busted it out and as we were kicking it around, he walked off the bus and right up to us, and joined in for like 10 minutes before heading inside. Super chill guy. RIP

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Gene Fucking Hoglan - twice. Always forget that show at First Avenue.

First time was a show in Vermillion for Dethklok. He was just chillin before setup having a smoke and me and my bug hung with him for a few minutes welcoming him to the area, as he hadn't been before. Dude was super relaxed and clearly loved talking about all the shit we loved talking about. His experiences over the years combined with our rabid fanboyisms lead to an epic conversation that lasted several ciggies.

After the show we chatted with him, Mike Keneally, and Bryan Beller, all of whom were super friendly and chill. Brendan was there too, but difficult to . . . reach. I mean, he shook hands and signed posters and cards, but seemed focused on some little group of clingers and didn't speak to anybody else much, while the others had the "we've been here before, come hang" attitude. To be fair, it was his first national tour and he was probably still trying to get his feet planted.

Second time at First Avenue Bryan, Mike and Gene all said hi to us before the show like they saw old friends. (Fantastic memories or just picking up our cues I'll never know). Bryan hung with my bud (a bass player by nature) after the show and chatted fitting into the mix with him for quite a while, as the crowd mostly ignored him. We asked where Mike was and he said Mike was feeling a little rough that night so was trying to take it easy. Gene stopped by and chatted a bit too. Brendan was . . . aloof, but did say hi on the way past.

We also hung with Bryan at a clinic he held in our own town. His wife is super talented too. She was there and sang with him for part of the clinic. He played some Vai tunes from when he'd toured with him, some Dethklok, and some of his wife's originals. Quite the varied evening of tunes.

Met Ellefson way the hell back in the beginning of time, but didn't recognize him until he told us who he was. That gives you an idea of how far back it was. Pre-MTV being everything era in the nethers of the eighties. He was just another long-hair hanging where we were hanging at the time, even though me and my buds all had copies of the album. The whole situation is LOLtastic now, looking back.

I did have brief run-ins with Danny from Disturbed, but that was basically a drive-by salute to a dude I've seen on stage multiple times. He's friendly, but clearly busy so I didn't bother trying to stop him.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I’ve had guitar lessons with the dudes from Mastodon. Bill was chill, but swamped with a lot of students. Brent’s was more intimate, but he was a real dick for the lesson part, but then we chilled after and we all got on great.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
I got to hang with Slayer once backstage at the Fillmore in Silver Spring. Mainly with Gary Holt. Tom disappeared to the bus. Kerry kept to himself but Gary kept sending me to his cooler for beer. There was a Slayer cake. :)

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
I've met a lot of cool musicians, but the closest to meeting a hero character for me was Matt Heafy at a meet and greet and he was texting the whole time :/ The other guys were cool though. Well those days are over, especially with all this lame twitch stuff he's been doing lately.

')