The Official MMA Thread

DTSH

Reaction score
Just saw yet another article claiming that a GSP win against Condit will lead to him fighting Silva. I'll believe when I see it, but excited for the Condit fight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
If anybody wanted to know what GSP vs Nick Diaz would look like, take a look back at the Henderson/Diaz fight that happened about an hour ago.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Nick Diaz wouldn't fare well vs GSP. Not at all.
He just doesn't have the explosive athletisism to have even a punchers chance IMO.
I think he'd be on his back getting beat on for most of the fight.

Estilo

Reaction score
^ Wow really? I thought Diaz might be able to give GSP a run for his money :lol:. I just want to watch a "superfight" featuring Silva since he said he'd fight 2 maybe 3 more times before retiring :(. Diaz can have his chance any day, he's the top contender and Silva's not gonna snag the Welterweight title if he wins the superfight. Plus Diaz's a douchey retard anyway..

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit!!! That's what I thought was going to happen last fall when these two met.
JDS was beat to hell. Now we'll have to have a rubber match next year same time I hope.
Maybe one in between fight for them both just like they did this year.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
With Bisping just getting his head kicked off by Belfort, who now should get the crack at getting their head cracked by the spider?
Belfort is on the "I want Bones Jones" campaign, and of course Sonnan will not get another spider shot soon or never, so is it Weidman? Who am I forgetting at 185?
Hendo could get a rematch, but time is running out for him unfortunately.
GSP is big at 170, but c'mon, spider could quite possibly be the LHW champ if it weren't for Jones.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Weidman obviously. No one at MW deserves the shot more than him right now. Lombard and Rockhold haven't proven themselves yet.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Weidman obviously. No one at MW deserves the shot more than him right now. Lombard and Rockhold haven't proven themselves yet.

Pretty much this.

Anderson Silva is so concerned with his legacy, that it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to cut weight to take GSP's title, as well as face Jones for his (although I'm not so sure he'd win that one). It'd be pretty impressive to hold titles in three separate weight classes.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Pretty much this.

Anderson Silva is so concerned with his legacy, that it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to cut weight to take GSP's title, as well as face Jones for his (although I'm not so sure he'd win that one). It'd be pretty impressive to hold titles in three separate weight classes.

Silva can't make the cut to 170 anymore imo, even if he could it would take a lot from his strength and gas tank

wookie606

Telecaster Fetish
Reaction score

Weidman's got enough wins, but he has also fought a lot of cans.
I think give him a top 5 then give him a shot. He is definitely capable of getting to a title shot pretty easy.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Silva can't make the cut to 170 anymore imo, even if he could it would take a lot from his strength and gas tank

He's made it before. Granted, he's older now, but I'm pretty sure he could pull it off if he had to, especially if the belt was on the line. Weight cuts do that to everybody, but I don't think it would affect him enough to matter in a fight with GSP. Silva KOs GSP easy, imo.

The longer he waits, the more improbable it becomes, though, for sure.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Weidman's got enough wins, but he has also fought a lot of cans.
I think give him a top 5 then give him a shot. He is definitely capable of getting to a title shot pretty easy.

He's already beaten 2 Top 5 opponents.

If he has to beat 3 Top 5 fighters to get a title shot, that is downright ridiculous.

I think Weidman has less of a chance than Franklin, Belfort or Sonnen in beating Silva, but ultimately its about the fact that Weidman deserves the title shot. Not whether he actually has a chance of winning it

He's made it before. Granted, he's older now, but I'm pretty sure he could pull it off if he had to, especially if the belt was on the line. Weight cuts do that to everybody, but I don't think it would affect him enough to matter in a fight with GSP. Silva KOs GSP easy, imo.

The longer he waits, the more improbable it becomes, though, for sure.

Yes Silva could make 170 if he really wanted to. But that would sap away more cardio and strength than Silva is used to giving up. Striking-wise, GSP doesn't pose much problems for Silva, but its the wrestling and takedowns of GSP that he has to worry about.With a tough weight cut to 170, Silva will be very warry of the takedowns and not want lose like he almost did against Sonnen. GSP is the best wrestler at WW (he outwrestled Koscheck and Hughes), and Silva knows it.

A lot of people underestimate the advantage that superior wrestling gives a fighter in the standup. Your opponent's constantly thinking about the takedowns so he can't strike like he wants to.

silva-rocked.gif

Bottom line is Silva probably won't cut to 170, not because he can't, but because he doesn't want to lose the strength needed to defend GSP's takedowns.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Silva will be very warry of the takedowns and not want lose like he almost did against Sonnen

I'm not one to buy into fighters blaming injuries on a poor performance, but I'd say Silva/Sonnen I was equal parts injury and Sonnen's wrestling that almost had him lose (I think the second fight was proof that Sonnen's wrestling was that good).

I would argue that Sonnen is stronger and a better wrestler than GSP, although you are right that a dramatic weight cut would take a bit of strength out of Silva. I still believe even a weight cut to 170 wouldn't hurt Silva's chances of a win over GSP that much.

But it's neither here nor there; the fight definitely won't happen at 170.

Estilo

Reaction score
So today's fight once again showcased GSP's genius in the octagon. Knowing where his relative strengths are and directing the fight to best capitalise on them.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking forward to GSP vs. Diaz, but honestly, Condit vs. Hendricks was far and away the match of the night.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but one of the guys training with my brother at his local MMA/boxing center collapsed during boxing training last wednesday and died at the hospital yesterday. Apparently it was a brain hemorrhage that the doctors had never seen the likes of - NOT caused by the training though, it would have burst at any moment.

It's so tragic, he was only 20 years old :(

Latest posts

')