The Official MMA Thread

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I showed up to the pub a bit late so I didn't catch all the fights. No spoilers for people who haven't seen it yet, but some of the results and some fights themselves were disappointing. Call me bitter and hard to please but fights these days VERY rarely live up to the hype. The unheard of guys with nothing to lose go hard at it, creating spectacular fights. Speaking of unheard of guys in MMA creating great fights, some of the fights in the opener of season 14 of the ultimate fighter were awesome, looks like a great season with a lot of talent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
12 more days until beatdown.

Live on Fox

Heavyweight Championship Of The World- Cain Velesquez VS Junior Dos Santos

Who ya pickin? I'm gonna say Cain wins it in round 2 by stoppage due to strikes.

I think both these guys are incredible athletes, but I think Velesquez is more likely to be unfazed by Jr's punches than vice-versa. Cain's head alone must weigh more than my triple rec.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Come on MMA buddies, where are ya?

I never thought I'd see it, but Chris Leban just quit and gave up.
Mark Munoz just wore him down cardiovascularly, and in his weakened state he didn't want the things Munoz was giving him.

Leban has been great for the sport, and although I personally am not a big fan of his, it's always fun to watch him dog people out in a street type brawl.

The problem he had tonight was that Munoz wouldn't stop coming forward and wouldn't alow him to rest while stalking as Leban usually does with guys who are afraid to stand and bang.

Tonight was proof once again that "fatigue makes cowards of us all".

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean quit as in quit the UFC? Good riddance.

Yeah Lebans got that punk/thug quality that I love to hate as well.
I prefer the somewhat more humble type, but then again those trashy talkers really put the asses in the seats I guess.

He said he couldn't see because the blood was running down into his right eye from a cut about an inch above. But the case was that he was hurt, tired, and already convinced he was gonna lose this one. If he'd felt like he was the better man this night, he'd continued on like he usually does.

Munoz would like a chance at Anderson Silva next, as would just about all the main contenders, but really I think he should have to face Sonan, and Sonan I think should have to fight Munoz before either one deserve a chance at the belt. If they make the Silva vs Sonan rematch happen, then a Munoz vs Brian Stan would be an obviously great matchup.

skoatdestroy

Reaction score
i dont think sonnen should get silva right after stann (don't get me wrong stann is a fucking monster) but munoz vs. sonnen would be a great matchup. Either guy would be able to give silva a decent run for his money (granted either way it would have to be a ground battle the whole fight for either guy to have a chance against silva) but i actually like munoz against silva better because munoz doesn't have pillow punches like sonnen he throws some fucking bombs!!!!!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
i dont think sonnen should get silva right after stann (don't get me wrong stann is a fucking monster) but munoz vs. sonnen would be a great matchup. Either guy would be able to give silva a decent run for his money (granted either way it would have to be a ground battle the whole fight for either guy to have a chance against silva) but i actually like munoz against silva better because munoz doesn't have pillow punches like sonnen he throws some fucking bombs!!!!!

:agreed:very true.
The only thing about Munoz that I didn't like was the way he kept getting his damm head trapped. Although Silva really isn't the strongest guy so it maybe wouldn't come into play as much as it did the other night.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I'm going with a knockout on the Velasquez (W) vs. Dos Santos fight (L).

I'm not all that surprised about Leban. He does have his street brawler style and his cockiness that's either a love/hate with everybody, but even back on the Ultimate Fighter he was such a sore loser when things didn't go his way. He has made a lot of improvements since then, but no way he'd lose his baby attitude.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Since this hasn't been brought up yet, who are you guys rooting for to win this season of The Ultimate Fighter? (Fighters and coaches)

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'll see how things are looking tonight and post back later (I know that's cheating lol), as I've momentarily forgot what the sem-final matches are.

As far as the coaches go, I'm 100% rooting for Miller in the December coaches showdown. I'm ussually the type to go against a dude with the crazy hair and all, but after hearing him coach on the show I'm now a fan.
And Bisping is just Bisping (lol).

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I haven't been keeping up with the Ultimate Fighter series like I used to. This current season has been really good, from the little I've seen. I followed most of the previous seasons and have been getting sick of the guys who show up and are nothing but talk. Once they get into the octagon they've got no game, no technique, and are scared shitless to take any risks in shooting in on their opponent or take a swing. This current season has a lot of actual fighters who really deserve to be on the show for once.

As for the coaches, I have to go with Bisping. He's gotten cocky as hell since winning the Ultimate Fighter, but still doesn't top how irritating Miller can be. At the end of the day, he really does put on a show and is a solid fighter.

Betterlaidplans

Lurker Extraordinair
Reaction score
My predictions:

Dos Santos will either knockout or get the decision over Cain. I think either fighter deserves the belt but Cain won't be able to deal with Dos Santos' boxing technique. Technique with power trump just power every time. But on a side note the Guida-Henderson fight should be a good one. Guida handled Petis and Petis handled Henderson so Guida will probably take Henderson.

Miller will submit Bisbing. Didn't really dig Bisbing's personality before the season. Really don't like him after seeing his BS during the season. Miller is under rated because of doing the bully beatdown show and how he chooses to get attention (hair, strangeness, etc) but he's going use Bisbing to make a statement.

As far as the ultimte fighters I'm not sure. I'm just glad (spoiler follows) dennis beat akira in the last episode. Akira annoyed me from first intro on the show. Dennis will be in the final for that weightclass for sure.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
My predictions:

Dos Santos will either knockout or get the decision over Cain. I think either fighter deserves the belt but Cain won't be able to deal with Dos Santos' boxing technique. Technique with power trump just power every time. But on a side note the Guida-Henderson fight should be a good one. Guida handled Petis and Petis handled Henderson so Guida will probably take Henderson.

Miller will submit Bisbing. Didn't really dig Bisbing's personality before the season. Really don't like him after seeing his BS during the season. Miller is under rated because of doing the bully beatdown show and how he chooses to get attention (hair, strangeness, etc) but he's going use Bisbing to make a statement.

As far as the ultimte fighters I'm not sure. I'm just glad (spoiler follows) dennis beat akira in the last episode. Akira annoyed me from first intro on the show. Dennis will be in the final for that weightclass for sure.

Ah, heavyweight fights. My favorites. As far as Miller vs. Bisbing, I've been on Team Mayhem since Bully Beatdown, and seeing how Bisbing underrates Miller, I agree with Mayhem submitting Bisbing. I'm glad to hear Dennis beating Akira (somehow my recording got cancelled). Personally, I want Dustin Pague to win it all, can't remember he's in the same weight class as Dennis, I don't think so though. Can't wait for December 3rd.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Wham Bamm, over in 1 minute. Dos Santos is the new world champ.

I picked it wrong thinking Cain's head was an indestructable force, but thats what happens in this division I guess.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow an hour long broadcast for a 30 second fight... and no undercard, nothing? Not sure if UFC on FOX helped expand their fan base with this.... :scratch:

Also, the fact that it was more of a beatdown (owing to style matchup and being a heavyweight match) might scare off potential new viewers, too...

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Well it last a whole minute before the knockout (lol).

Marine is right, it's gonna actually serve to make the sport look shamm un-wow to the general public, and some might even think it was a fix or something. Any one who thinks that though should let Jr. (or even try not to let Jr.) hit them over the ear and see what happens.

I was certainly a little disappoint to say the least, but I'd rather have it real then have them sort of do a dance for awhile in order to fill the time slot more appropriatly.

Roy Nelson really must just have a head of granite because he took literally dozens of those shots to the skull and kept comming. But of coarse he was to slow to really pose much threat when he and Dos Santos fought, and also I think when they fought that Jr. was sort of in extra-cation mode to prevent something silly (like a submission) from derailing his title hopes.

Really he fought Carwin the same as Cain. Like someone who was scared enough to not screw around at all.
Carwin might well be a perfect match for Cain to get back on track, although it wouldn't be easy considering Carwin is also a one punch threat and can also wrestle at anyone's level. Carwin runs out of gas after one round though, so if Cain would just make it on the ground for 5-7min the fight would be his for the taking.

I believe Jr. can treat a Lesner matchup just like he did this one, and I think the out come would be the same. With Overeem as his next foe (if he defeats lesner) the Dos Sasntos camp might have to get a bit more creative and maybe box his ears (lol).
Same plan different day.

')