The Official Pro-Wrestling Thread

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All things pro-wrestling go here.

I know WWE's fallen out of favor with a lot of traditional wrestling fans, but big news lately was that Edge retired and he did it here in Albany. The farewell stuff was pretty touching, so now seemed as good a time as any to post it.

After they went off the air and he drops character:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes sir. Made me kinda sad because he was a favorite of mine when I was younger, but he had a legit dangerous neck problem and they couldn't clear him to wrestle anymore. :(

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Oh shit, I had no idea.. :( He was a favorite of mine as well. Last year I was enjoying the wars between Edge/Orton and HHH/Michaels. Watching Edge wrestle, you'd never know he had a neck problem that serious.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very sad to see Edge leave but definitely the better way.

I prefer TNA myself, but I grew up watching Sting so take that for what it's worth.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I remember watching Edge's debut match in 98. It was awesome to see him go the distance over the years. So it's quite that he had to retire under those circumstances. :(

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't his original storyline that he was a roadie for Motley Crue during their first reunion thing?

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'm not sure why but I've never been a fan of Edge really although I do respect him hanging it up instead of carrying on while injured and putting in sub par performances for the rest of his career but didn't Shawn Michaels retire back in the 90's under similar conditions?

Wasn't his original storyline that he was a roadie for Motley Crue during their first reunion thing?

IIRC that was Test whereas Edge and his "brother" Christian were originally part of some type of vampire clan with Gangrel (remember him?)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Good call on the Gangrel/'Brood' angle. :yesway:

I haven't watched this stuff in years, really. I grew up with it, but my last good run with it was during the WCW/WWE wars with the NWO angles and the Steve Austin/Rock feuds. I was definitely stoked recently to see the Rock return, though, and I'm also sad to see Edge's career come to a rather abrupt end like this.

I remember all too well how epic those tag matches between Edge/Christian & the Hardy Boys were back then. Some of the best matches I've ever seen, really. Right up there with the great feuds like Jericho/Malenko, Austin/Rock, Bret Hart/Mr Perfect, Undertaker/Mankind and so on.

I've recently been getting back into it a little; They put a bunch of WWE home video stuff on Netflix Instant View. It started as I re-visited that documentary about the Bret Hart incident called Wrestling With Shadows. Since then, it's been kinda like a little stroll down memory lane, watching the History of Wrestlemania and the Top 50 Superstars of All Time.

Speaking of which, am I alone in being completely bewildered by the amount of love Shawn Michaels gets within the industry? WHY?!?! The Rockers sucked ass, and Shawn was never any good as a singles wrestler either. I always thought he was boring in the ring, and even worse on the microphone. In that 'Top 50 Superstars' thing, he was ranked #1. Of all time. Above Hogan. Above Flair. Above the Rock. Above HHH. Above Sammartino, Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Undertaker, and on and on.. I know that favorites are subject to opinion, but I feel like Michaels was in no way even remotely on the same level as all of the others I just mentioned, not to mention the hundreds of greats I didn't mention.

Sorry for the rant, but looking forward to watching this thread unfold. :)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
R Truth... Evil now? I think I like him more already. The rapping thing was uhh... :ugh:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of which, am I alone in being completely bewildered by the amount of love Shawn Michaels gets within the industry? WHY?!?! The Rockers sucked ass, and Shawn was never any good as a singles wrestler either. I always thought he was boring in the ring, and even worse on the microphone. In that 'Top 50 Superstars' thing, he was ranked #1. Of all time. Above Hogan. Above Flair. Above the Rock. Above HHH. Above Sammartino, Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Undertaker, and on and on.. I know that favorites are subject to opinion, but I feel like Michaels was in no way even remotely on the same level as all of the others I just mentioned, not to mention the hundreds of greats I didn't mention.

I think that mostly had to do with the longevity of his career and the fact he stayed agile and in great shape all the way to the end. I was never a big fan of his persona or his moves overall, but he played taking a hit really well and took the business end of quite a few high risk moves over his career.

Also, Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon for the Intercontinental Champion in a ladder match at Wrestlemania X. :agreed: That's wrestling history right there.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Also, Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon for the Intercontinental Champion in a ladder match at Wrestlemania X. :agreed: That's wrestling history right there.

Shit. You've totally got me there. I actually forgot about that match.

I take back *most* of what I said. I still don't understand the level of acclaim he gets (best of ALL TIME?!) but that match was fucking EPIC and by itself worth a spot on the top 50. :yesway:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I think that mostly had to do with the longevity of his career and the fact he stayed agile and in great shape all the way to the end. I was never a big fan of his persona or his moves overall, but he played taking a hit really well and took the business end of quite a few high risk moves over his career.

Agreed. He was just one that developed over the years. Once he got D-Generation X going, there was no stopping. And there was some great matches he did with Ken Shamrock and The Undertaker during that time too.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
And there was some great matches he did with Ken Shamrock

IMHO, Ken Shamrock never once put on a good match. Other wrestlers may have carried his dead-weight to a decent performance once or twice, but that wasn't his doing. ;)

Totally unrelated, I was doing some reading yesterday and found out that Mr Perfect's son (and daughter, apparently) are both currently in the biz. I'm surprised they don't play up the connection more. "McGillicutty" is a far cry from "Henning". I know Curt's death was one of many black eyes for the business, but you'd think the son of a legend would want people to know he was the son of a legend..

Unrelated again, I love that I'm old enough to remember some not-so-famous character runs from guys who later become VERY famous with different character runs.

Exhibit A:
Steve_Austin_456651a1.jpg

Exhibit B:
isaac-yankem.jpg

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totally unrelated, I was doing some reading yesterday and found out that Mr Perfect's son (and daughter, apparently) are both currently in the biz. I'm surprised they don't play up the connection more. "McGillicutty" is a far cry from "Henning". I know Curt's death was one of many black eyes for the business, but you'd think the son of a legend would want people to know he was the son of a legend..

Yeah, he was on that turd of a replacement for ECW that Vince put out called NXT which was supposed to be his version of American Idol (AKA shot live, unlike Tough Enough). McGillicutty did tap into his dad's reputation a little throughout that series and he was good in the way his old man was (wrestling style) but he didn't have the physique and the persona to keep up.

+1 for an Isaac Yankem reference. :D

JBL is another example of a dude that totally 180'd.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I think Hennig's kids may have wanted to avoid using the family name as the whole 2nd/3rd/etc generation superstar thing has become an incredibly overused gimmick especially in the WWF.

As for the pics I vaguely remember Isaac Yankem but I definitely remember "Stunning" Steve Austin in the Hollywood Blondes (I'm a big fan of early 90's WCW) and the legend that is Paulie Dangerously but has anyone noticed that "Stunning" Steve Austin when he was slimmer and had hair looks a bit like Chris Jericho?

Hollowman

Reaction score
My favorite and probably the greatest "big" man 6'5" 450lbs and toughest men to ever wrestle.

27.jpg

After him.

goldberg-bill06.jpg

And by far the most entertaining IMO.

28452_the-rock_l.jpg

But the last time I watched wrestling was 2003. so, I have no clue what is going on, I know that I don't care for the WWE though.

')