The official Sabre Guitars Thread

• Thread starter sabreguitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jameskipp

Reaction score
hi christian/sabre guitars,

decided to post here since calling/mailing didnt seem to work.

can i have some indication on how my guitar is coming along? maybe some pictures would be awesome!

can't wait,

jimmy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
I received an email from Chris earlier in March regarding the production series, and that they would be shipping soon. I supplied shipping info as requested.

I haven't heard anything since, and have also sent a couple emails and posted on their Facebook page.

Reaction score
I had a fair few replies off Chris a week or so ago, I'm sure he's just busy building, hopefully

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
Must be REALLY busy. I just hope he's busy working on building/finishing/shipping guitars. I've reached out a few more times... still waiting for a response.

I still cannot believe ANY business can go without responding to PAID customers for 3 weeks at a time (that's just this time...) and think that's OK.

I was told my guitar was done, and sent final payment in early February. I was then informed I had to wait for the rest of the Production Series guitars to be paid for before photos would be taken and shipping would be arranged. This seemed odd, as I paid for shipping, so I figured mine would ship when I paid for it... Whatever.

A few weeks went by, and Chris reached out to me (totally surprised to get an unsolicited email from him). Chris indicated a few guys hadn't paid yet, and he wanted to get photos taken and the guitars that were paid for shipped out. That was on March 9.

I haven't seen or heard much since then, other than Chris posting a new tool wall on the Sabre Facebook page... I'm starting to wonder if I'm the tool here...

What's the hold up?

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
If you still can, take action through PayPal or your CC company asap. See how fast that gets you a reply.

My goal is to actually receive my guitar... The frustrating thing is, Chris appears to be working... updating Facebook regarding a new tool wall in his shop, guitars are being completed (sporadically). So he's actually on Facebook, and NOT communicating with paid customers, and following through with what he said he would do in what I consider a timely manner. (it doesn't take 3 weeks to package and ship a guitar...)

It's just that the communication absolutely sucks. There's just no excuse, INCLUDING being very busy. I guess I'm being silly for assuming that since I sent final payment, that maybe I could get a picture, or a shipping confirmation, or at least an email stating WHEN IT WILL SHIP, or maybe a reason why it hasn't shipped yet. ANYTHING... sheesh.

Facebook is quick and easy, it's ignored.

Email is even easier (to me....) ignored.

Phone calls - ignored.

Website updates - haven't happened - why would you leave an out of date build list on your site? Talk about crappy marketing. It looks like you have 30 orders that haven't been updated since last year. There's a couple guys (including me) asking for updates on Facebook.

I got in on an Ormsby production run. Something tells me the Ormsby experience will be different than the Sabre experience... I've already been inundated with updates to that group page. Those guys know how to drum up interest and keep guys happy.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Getting the guitar might be top priority for you but right now, you don't have a guitar OR your money. Filing with PayPal or your CC company should at least give you some leverage AND you won't be sitting here in 6 months, still no guitar to be seen and no way of getting your money back.

This has happened way too often on this forum for the past few years.

Tommehnet

Reaction score
The frustrating thing is, Chris appears to be working... updating Facebook regarding a new tool wall in his shop, guitars are being completed (sporadically). So he's actually on Facebook, and NOT communicating with paid customers, and following through with what he said he would do in what I consider a timely manner.

I'm not sure how this is worrying to you. Like you said, he is seemingly working. It's a batch build, and my guess is that the delayed payments of the other production series is holding your guitar/the entire batch back (think of it as a group buy, maybe? lack of commitment of others affects the whole)

He's probably busy as I suggested before, and probably hasn't got round to replying especially when there's no update yet to provide. Though I agree it's worth just replying, no news is better than... no no news.

UnderTheSign said:
Filing with PayPal or your CC company should at least give you some leverage AND you won't be sitting here in 6 months, still no guitar to be seen and no way of getting your money back.

Threatening charge backs is a bit of an unethical move, especially with an independent luthier, unless you are certain you are not going to receive the goods anytime soon/ever. You're pretty much manipulating the credit card system which is why so many small businesses hate accepting them. Dealing with fraudulent payments is probably going to .... up the entire build process, and is known to put people out of business. Making a business potentially insolvent isn't going to help anybody.

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this is worrying to you. Like you said, he is seemingly working. It's a batch build, and my guess is that the delayed payments of the other production series is holding your guitar/the entire batch back (think of it as a group buy, maybe? lack of commitment of others affects the whole)

He's probably busy as I suggested before, and probably hasn't got round to replying especially when there's no update yet to provide. Though I agree it's worth just replying, no news is better than... no no news.

Threatening charge backs is a bit of an unethical move, especially with an independent luthier, unless you are certain you are not going to receive the goods anytime soon/ever. You're pretty much manipulating the credit card system which is why so many small businesses hate accepting them. Dealing with fraudulent payments is probably going to .... up the entire build process, and is known to put people out of business. Making a business potentially insolvent isn't going to help anybody.

I said I was frustrated, not worried. Frustrated as he is working, and posting to Facebook, and apparently ignoring customers inquiries. I still think I'm getting a guitar. I'm not worried. yet.

This was never advertised as a group build dependent on payment of other customers prior to receiving my order. It was only required that 12 orders were placed to START the batch build. It was news to me that I had to wait for other customers to pay in full for their guitars before I receive mine. I still don't understand this.

Regarding updates, I was told it would ship, and I would get pictures and tracking info. Neither has happened, AND he does not respond to communication regarding the shipping or pictures, or status of other customers payments.

Again, communication. Set expectations, meet expectations.

I'm not out to use Paypal or CC to 'threaten' action from Chris. I simply want information, and eventually, my guitar.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
It's not a threat and it's not unethical. It's filing a charge because months after paying for a finished product you still haven't received the goods. If anyone's being unethical, it's the luthier for not sticking to his promises and ignoring the customer.

eclipze1

Reaction score
I understand the long wait.
I have also paid the remaining money of the Syren 7 Prod series.
I am now awaiting for the guitar to be received.

No choice. Just have to wait and keep fingers crossed.
I believe Chris is awaiting for all the payments to be fulfilled so that once everything is settled, the bulk shipment will be easier and economical.

Tronburgundy

Reaction score
Its devastating to read this thread and see so many others having the same problems as me. I ordered a custom build from Chris Feb last year as his waiting times were significantly less than Daemoness guitars. In our initial conversation he stated a 6 month wait from payment to finish, give or take 6 months which was stated in his terms and conditions at that time (which I have a copy of). first couple of months there was great correspondence, I changed the wood and upgraded spec before the build had started and was advised this wouldn't effect the build time. Then complete silence, my due date had been and gone without a whisper. I remained patient as I could see he might be having some issues, but still nothing. eventually I posted on his Facebook and emailed him. I finally had a reply 10-13 weeks ago saying he has been having problems with his email. I asked for an honest accurate completion date, he said your guitar will be ready 6-7 weeks. like I said its now 10-13 weeks since I have heard anything, I have emailed to which again have had no reply. The way this business is operating is a disgrace and if I don't hear anything soon I will be taking the matter up with trading standards and seeking legal advice.

TuffyKohler

sawdust generator
Reaction score
I received my production series Sabre 7 Friday of last week.

I was sent an email with tracking info prior to that, with no other info.

I was under the impression pictures would be available prior to shipping, you know, as his site states, to confirm my order was built as requested...

Bottom line, Sabre sucks in regards to customer service and communication.
I won't be posting pics, or any NGD post, as I will not promote his company.

Drapes

Banned
Reaction score
Having read some of the messages on here, I find it really disappointing. Christian is a great guy and sometimes customers are a complete pain in the arse. Having seen so many comments about guitar Luthiers being late or delayed and customers moaning about pretty much every company out there.

Being under the impression is just a load of rubbish. The margins on the Talon and Syren series are very small. They had delays due to christian breaking his jaw and customers agains till moaned about this delay. He had delays from suppliers and sometimes these things should be expected but can't be.

He had problems with his email and Facebook due to his ISP. I talked to him about this a few weeks ago.

I don't think customers realise builders are working on guitars 9 -5, find it difficult to communicate. Many still have children and need to have a life in the evening rather than answering emails 24/7. People have refused to pay for guitars for no reason that they now can't afford them and this has caused issues for many people and caused delays. If only customers weren't expecting the over and above all the time and has some patience. You got your guitar it probably plays very well and you will enjoy it. Stop being sour and enjoy the guitar.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't think customers realise builders are working on guitars 9 -5, find it difficult to communicate. Many still have children and need to have a life in the evening rather than answering emails 24/7. People have refused to pay for guitars for no reason that they now can't afford them and this has caused issues for many people and caused delays. If only customers weren't expecting the over and above all the time and has some patience. You got your guitar it probably plays very well and you will enjoy it. Stop being sour and enjoy the guitar.

I don't think luthiers understand that when they say a guitar will be completed and in your hands in X months, it should be in your hands in X months. Part of running a small business is living up to your business obligations regardless of what happens in your personal life.

Drapes

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think luthiers understand that when they say a guitar will be completed and in your hands in X months, it should be in your hands in X months. Part of running a small business is living up to your business obligations regardless of what happens in your personal life.

Apart from when your injured and can't possibly do any work? I know others have made other excuses but when you physically can't do something it does actually need to be excused.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Apart from when your injured and can't possibly do any work? I know others have made other excuses but when you physically can't do something it does actually need to be excused.

He should probably have something in place to help him out in such a situation. You don't just get a time-out.

Maybe some critical illness cover, or income protection for when he can't work, which is pretty easy to get in the UK. Can't work? You get money to hire someone to help you finish your work, or refund the customers who aren't happy about the situation.

A lot of small business owners don't think about this stuff which is a real shame, as for many small businesses, if you can't work for a month, you're business is done and your reputation is ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')