The One song thread

• Thread starter brick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhearted

Reaction score

I have yet to find a song which more closely mirrors my own personal struggles. I feel like this song was written for me. I discovered it when I needed it the most, and I have used it to get through more hard moments than I care to count. If I was stranded in a wasteland with only one song, this would be my choice.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Narrowing this down to one song that best encompassed the feeling and the power of music and its personal effect was extremely tough, but I think I have my winner:

Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element

The whole "The Perfect Element" album is basically a concept album about the loss of the innocence we have as children, and this (the title track) is the apex. Daniel Gildenlow delivers an awesome vocal performance in this song, and the songwriting itself is stellar.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

It was the song that got me into metal and industrial, it was the gateway to my favorite artists, I love his lyrics (and they had a really emotional association at the time), I was in an atrociously bad place (mentally and physically) at the time, and this song is pretty much what kept me going until I met the missus. Since then it's just been a regular favorite, and a reminder of where I came from.

That and it still has my favorite guitar tone and one of my favorite beats of all time...

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, to the OP, that bit at 1:08 in Sum is just fucking intense.
It makes me cry every time.
It's insanely beautiful in the most tragic, brutal and depressing way.

The song is way too long to post a video, but "White Walls" by Between the Buried and Me is just an intense journey from start to finish.
Every time I hear that song, I just hear so much heart and soul, sweet blood and tears that was put into making that song.
I'm not normally a big fan of breakdowns, but the breakdown is truly climatic and serves a true musical purpose in the song and I just love how afterwards there's a beautifully melodic outro instrumental section

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score

It's got it all, the highs and the lows, It's good when you're happy, melancholic or just in a mood to headbang. The ending solo is probably the most amazing solo I have ever heard in my life (yeah maybe it's not the shreddiest ever but who cares); the chorus is amazing and the lyrics are profound. It's just amazing.

Demiurge

Reaction score

It's hard to pick one, and I've been listening to Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine album. The whole fucking album is emotionally impactful and profound... but what the hell- I'll go with the bonus track!

I read in an interview that this song is a tribute to this weird world that Devin would dream about. To me, it really speaks to the disconnect between dreams and reality and how we can dream all night about people, places, and events, and when we wake up it's gone, leaving us to longingly try to remember what happened and figure out what it all means.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
About everytime I heard this song by myself, I would cry because I can't wait for this day. :)

Jontain

Reaction score
Fade to Black - Metallica, there is something about the two halfs of this song that contrast really well, its got me through some pretty rough times. For me the songs and lyrics are about suicide and feeling so low right up until the guitar solo, which always sparks a flame inside that has always made me feel stronger. Definately one of my favourite songs.

*Hope this is the idea of the thread, unable to see first page at work :S

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm going to have to break the trend with genre and go for this stunning piano piece by Debussy. I just love the chords and this song always puts me in a better place.

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score

This one sparked a personal epiphany moment for me. I've always been a metalhead, but this solo starting at 2:27 really clonked me on the head and made me push my music studies to the max. The feelings this song ripped out of me were great motivators to do the same with my own music.

I just picture the collapse of the world due to a perhaps not-so-distant global empire during this masterful blend of speed and emotion, and the sullen aftermath in the riff that follows.

Kalmah's lyrics have never been overly deep, but english isn't exactly their first language, and the music makes the message damn clear here.

heyimdallas

Reaction score
This song is instrumental, and I find it fucking amazing!
This band is a signed band from my home state North Carolina.
Listen to the whole song.. it has Latin sounding clean guitar.. and it switches from light to heavy a few times... Its just such good guitar work!

I give you over 9000 Internets for this :yesway:

Dark_Matter

Reaction score

There's something very powerful about this song. It's hopeful, courageous, constantly pushing forward to new goals. Those are the feeling I get. It's an inspiring song to me, a song where I feel excited for my future, for both the victories and challenges I will face and endure.

It makes me feel a lot of different emotions for an instrumental song.

Yes.

just...yes.

Arterial

Dreamer
Reaction score
For me it'd have to be:

Song's pretty personal for me, it got me through a rough breakup with the ex. My interpretation of the song is that it is a reflection of my life right now: 50% anger/sad, 25% calm/soft/gentle and 25% happiness/joy.

clouds

Reaction score
I give you the song my username and avatar are both inspired by:

')