The Onion files a brief with the Supreme Court

• Thread starter wheresthefbomb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
You really have to watch the video to get the full picture, it's worth it. The short version is a dude got arrested in Parma, OH for making a satirical Facebook page for the local police dept and making absurd claims such as that they were running a program to reform pedophiles and make them honorary police officers. He filed an appeal and lost, and then took it to the Supreme Court, at which point The Onion filed their own brief in his (and their) defense.

It's incredibly hilarious and also seems like a fairly important moment for freedom of speech.

Video:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I used to subscribe to the print edition back in the 90s the moment I got my first job to pay for it myself, because I couldn't depend on the Milwaukee area shops to have issues left by the time I could get closer to the city.

I've own their first three books, and even owned their little-remembered "Not For Broadcast" sketch comedy album on both CD and cassette.

My high school senior yearbook quote was, "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."

So, my fanboyism and bias is right out front/on my sleeve.

But...

I don't think this is a good case to chain themselves to. He really put in a lot of effort to appear as if it was the official police department's account, including deleting the comments from people who questioned it. At some point, there's a line where it becomes impersonating the police, and from what little I've read, I think he may have crossed it.

That said, their filing was HILARIOUS and worth reading every page.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Steve Lehto. This amicus brief is hilarious, but the case itself is as frightening as it gets. To think that you could be arrested and jailed for making a joke and the court that signs the warrant and the police who make the arrest are accountable for nothing is just wrong, no matter how you look at it.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I like Steve Lehto. This amicus brief is hilarious, but the case itself is as frightening as it gets. To think that you could be arrested and jailed for making a joke and the court that signs the warrant and the police who make the arrest are accountable for nothing is just wrong, no matter how you look at it.
It's a nice blatant open window into the American justice system for those of us without millions in the bank. Accused = guilty. Done.