The original Quake

• Thread starter GuitarG2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the texture pack add on :yesway: Makes the game a lot better looking.
I always wanted to know what the game could have been, originally it was supposed to be a hybrid RPG. Could have been interesting. Not to mention other changes:
It should be noted, however, that by the time the game was released the specifics of the story had become relatively unimportant and somewhat disorganized. This is mainly due to a last-minute mix of two different game designs: lead level designer John Romero wanted to make a dark fantasy hand to hand combat/RPG hybrid game, while level designers Tim Willits and American McGee wanted to make a more futuristic, Doom-like game. Ultimately the Doom-like mechanics were implemented and many of the dark fantasy design elements were incorporated into the graphics and visual effects of the game.

Quake is one of the only modern id games not to have a true sequel: after the departure of Romero, the remaining id employees chose to change the thematic direction substantially for Quake II, making the design more technological and futuristic rather than dark fantasy

What's sad is that this game in unique in the series, the characters/stories have NOTHING to do with Quake II and IV. It's still the best one by far.

How long did it take you to kill the final boss? It took me TEN YEARS to figure out how to beat it(Yes, I literally only beat it 2 years ago). I refused to look at guides to read how to beat it, and one day randomly... I walked into the teleporter and *BLAM!* he 'asploded.

I had to actually read a guide afterwards to see WTF I just did... I would have never in a million years figured it out if it weren't by accident.

GuitarG2

Reaction score
I have the texture pack add on :yesway: Makes the game a lot better looking.
I always wanted to know what the game could have been, originally it was supposed to be a hybrid RPG. Could have been interesting. Not to mention other changes:

What's sad is that this game in unique in the series, the characters/stories have NOTHING to do with Quake II and IV. It's still the best one by far.

How long did it take you to kill the final boss? It took me TEN YEARS to figure out how to beat it(Yes, I literally only beat it 2 years ago). I refused to look at guides to read how to beat it, and one day randomly... I walked into the teleporter and *BLAM!* he 'asploded.

I had to actually read a guide afterwards to see WTF I just did... I would have never in a million years figured it out if it weren't by accident.

Not an RPG fan, so I'm glad it became the FPS it is now. Would still be interesting tho. Lol at your ten-year voyage to beat Shub-Niggurath, but kudos for not looking at any guides.

I cheated a little bit (understatement of the year :yesway:). I first got the game when i was 12, and was too terrified to play it without having every cheat imaginable on :lol:, and I looked at guides on how to beat it. Now I realise how much of a n00b that makes me:wallbash:.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Man, I love this game! I had to hunt down a windows xp compatible version of the .exe, but it's definitely worth it. I used to play network games (deathmatch and co-op) with my mates when we were at school, over a BNC network. I had an old 486 with a throbbing 33mHz chip :lol: One of my mates was lucky enough to have a 133mHz pentium (or was it a PII?), which was state of the art at the time. Damn, makes me feel old... :noplease:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yep. I still have it on my computer, running with the "winquake" file.

I've owned Quake 1, 2, and 3. My favorite of them all is Quake 2, but I really liked the atmosphere in the original Quake and I liked how they mixed dark fantasy with futuristic weaponry and Lovecraftian bosses (Shub Nibburath is one of Lovecraft's scarier creatures).

I remember always playing the entry level (where you can warp to any of the worlds) over an IPX network on about 10-15 different PCs that my friend had in his house (because his dad worked on PCs). That was really fun and I thought that was the best level for multiplayer in Quake 1.

Quake 2, however, I thought was a much better game. I was actually playing Quake 2 again about a month ago with some pretty sweet bots that I had downloaded off the net.

I remember my PC when Quake 1 first came out not being able to run it because it required a processor that could do mathematical processing (I forget exactly what it was called) and mine couldn't. I got a new PC pretty soon after that, though.

Uh... about 5 minutes... :ugh:

but I've played between 40 and 50 FPSs by now and at the time I first bought Quake 1, I was really into: Blake Stone, Wolfenstine, Doom II, Duke Nukem, and all the other FPSs that were out at the time.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Have to say, there's a reason it said in the manual that telefragging would instantly kill anything, and bizarre flying things are usually placed for a purpose in those games, but congratulations on finally getting that.

Naren... Rise of the Triads?

Jeff

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Naren... Rise of the Triads?

Jeff

Rise of the Triad = yes.

You name it and I've probably played (in regards to FPSs).

Man, this brings back memories! I loved quake, and quake 2, but lost interest with quake3 not having any real single player.

Pretty much the same opinion as me. I would rank them: Quake 2, Quake, Quake 3 - with Quake 3 quite a ways behind the first two, primarily because it changed into a completely different kind of game and, like you said, doesn't have any real single player (which was fine for Unreal Tournament, which is probably my favorite FPS - but was not good at all for a Quake game).

GuitarG2

Reaction score
Must say that I didn't care for Quake 2 too much. I just love the atmosphere and horror aspect of the original, and sort of disliked the more sci-fi approach that Quake 2 took. Also, does anyone have the mission packs for quake? I have them and while many may disagree, I think they're badass!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Must say that I didn't care for Quake 2 too much. I just love the atmosphere and horror aspect of the original, and sort of disliked the more sci-fi approach that Quake 2 took. Also, does anyone have the mission packs for quake? I have them and while many may disagree, I think they're badass!

I agree. Quake 1 is the best game of all time IMO. I was pretty hardcore into that for many many years.

I do have the Mission Packs somewhere, they were cool, but I didn't play them much as I spent most of my time playing regular 4v4 clan match type stuff, and there weren't that many servers for the mission packs. Scourge of Armagon in particular was incredible, just amazing level design and weapons.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

To be honest, I prefered the atmosphere of Quake 1, but I preferred the gameplay of Quake 2, which was ultimately makes me prefer Quake 2. In all fairness though, they are both among my favorite FPSs of all time.

Damn, now I want a Quake inlay on my next guitar.

That would actually be pretty awesome.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
i got all the quake games. Was playing quake (with all the texture/model packs) not too long ago, love it! not to mention the phat music reznor did for it. Quake 2 is my favourite, yeh it more sci-fi futuristic, but still a very very dark world. The music in that kicked ass too and really added to the feeling of the game i thought, was like dark rock/metal with industrial touches. Can't describe, but the music just suited the looks of the levels in quake 2.

Quake 3, loved that too, wasn't the best of the series, but still, was a fine multiplayer game, even better for LAN's (which i did every now n then, wish i did it more!).

Quake 4 i thought was slightly underrated, i really enjoyed that. Was different, but still brought back that quake 2 sorta feeling. Not as good or the exactly the same, but it was good fighting the strogg again.

I still got all the mission packs on cd too, and quake 1 and 2. I bought quake like, basically when it came out, it was in like, a little fold out cd case thing. The quake 2 mission pack the reckoning kicks complete ass too, i may even install it and play it now i've mentioned it lol. some cool levels in it, and the some phat new songs in it like the original quake 2 :hbang:

PS. You can buy all the quake games off Steam (i am assuming you's would know what steam is so i won't explain :hbang:) and the mission packs! for a very good price too, and it runs on xp/vista etc. i am pretty sure. You can also get all the doom games aswell. Everything ID ever released is available to buy and download now on steam.

GuitarG2

Reaction score
i got all the quake games. Was playing quake (with all the texture/model packs) not too long ago, love it! not to mention the phat music reznor did for it. Quake 2 is my favourite, yeh it more sci-fi futuristic, but still a very very dark world. The music in that kicked ass too and really added to the feeling of the game i thought, was like dark rock/metal with industrial touches. Can't describe, but the music just suited the looks of the levels in quake 2.

Quake 3, loved that too, wasn't the best of the series, but still, was a fine multiplayer game, even better for LAN's (which i did every now n then, wish i did it more!).

Quake 4 i thought was slightly underrated, i really enjoyed that. Was different, but still brought back that quake 2 sorta feeling. Not as good or the exactly the same, but it was good fighting the strogg again.

I still got all the mission packs on cd too, and quake 1 and 2. I bought quake like, basically when it came out, it was in like, a little fold out cd case thing. The quake 2 mission pack the reckoning kicks complete ass too, i may even install it and play it now i've mentioned it lol. some cool levels in it, and the some phat new songs in it like the original quake 2 :hbang:

PS. You can buy all the quake games off Steam (i am assuming you's would know what steam is so i won't explain :hbang:) and the mission packs! for a very good price too, and it runs on xp/vista etc. i am pretty sure. You can also get all the doom games aswell. Everything ID ever released is available to buy and download now on steam.

Awesome, Reznor was on fire for that soundtrack. Unfortunately I have a stone age laptop (£250 from Tescos :fawk:) so I can't check out Quake 3 or 4 :noway: and also don't think I can run steam. But 'tis alright, for I managed to get Quake working on vista (WinQuake FTW!) and I have the Doom games as well. Hmm, may start a thread for Doom as well.:idea:

Reaction score
Although i prefer Quake II 'cause i played it in my childhood on PSX, Quake is so much darker and much more "occult" than II, i love it, and sometimes i play it when i have some time

BZM

Reaction score
I'd say my absolute best childhood memories were playing the Dooms, Quakes, and Half-Lifes. <3 FPS games

Mexi

Reaction score
loved playing this game growing up, though I never got into the subsequent titles. though as people mentioned Quake 2, I actually liked Unreal a lot more than either game. had a lot of atmosphere through the catchy music and great dynamic lighting (for its time). I always felt these early FPS' warranted updated versions to flesh out the original vision for the games now the tech is there. It'd be nice to give longtime shooter fans another throwback to the 90s in light of all the military fps (gogo Rise of the Triad)

Latest posts

')