The Peavey Amp Shootout!

• Thread starter Shannon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The best Peavey amp currently in production is the...

• XXX

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • ValveKing

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 6505/6505+/5150

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • XXL

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • JSX

Votes: 27 23.1%

• Total voters

7seven7

Heavy-7-Master
Reaction score
I have the Peavey Valveking amp and IMHO it is very underated - I swapped the preamp tubes with some JJ's in the v-2 & v-3 position and an Electro Harmonix 12ax7EH in the v-1 position - I have ( 4 ) Sovtek 6L6WXT+ in the power section - and it will not do the super saturated high gain thing but it is a nicely done high gain marshall tone, great for hard rock and some metal - I purchased an EQ to help shape up my tone, so we'll have to see - The Peavey ValveKing is very underated, a lot of people talk about how it is made overseas - what isn't made overseas now a days!? - I plan on trying out an OD pedal in front of the amp to see if it would give me a more saturated high gain sound for those songs that require that particular tone - anyone try an OD in front of the amp yet? Should I use the OD on my dirty channel (or) clean channel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
^
It depends on the sort of sound you're trying to achieve, alot of the guys on here don't actually use the gain on their OD pedals it's just used in front of the Amp's distortion to tighten it up & add a bit more focus but you can use them to add a bit more drive to the amp that's what they were originally designed for, give one a try i'm sure you'll love it.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Funny how NO ONE voted for the XXL, yet that's the Peavey I'm most interested in. :lol:

I did get the chance to play one about a year & I remember being really impressed. SS FTW!!!

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
5150 very powerful amp, my vote is for this monster. too bad it's too expensive..

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the 5150 is probably one amp that I'd classify as cheap, not really that expensive. It sounds amazing, though - better than 90% of amps twice its price.

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
unfortunately (4 me), you live in CA, I live in chile... big differences! (with this I say everything to you: there is no chilean company that brings 5150)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh... that explains it. Your lack of location threw me off ;).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really? What's different about it?

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
nordhauser06 said:
The 5150 and the 6505 are not the same amp. the 6505 does not own up to the 5150.

Dead wrong.

I've played the 5150 and 6505 side by side, same axe, same cabinet, and on a different occaision, the 5150+ and 6505+ in the same enviornment, and guess what?

They're iDentical.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Maybe the dude thinks theyre different because one is biased incorectly or has shitty tubes and the other doesnt. Peaveys when biased incorrectly can sound awful.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Oh god ain't that the truth? My 5150 sounds fucking godly cold, but when biased up to about 35ma, Jesus...

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Okay... this poll is missing the most important one: the Peavey Ultra 120. This thing is the missing link between the 5150s and the Triple-X, and outplays either.

nordhauser06 said:
The 5150 and the 6505 are not the same amp. the 6505 does not own up to the 5150.

Straight from the horse's mouth, at a recent product knowledge training session I went to, the rep from Peavey said that they are very similar, but not the same amp. He said there were very minor differences in components, but that for all intents and purposes, they could be sold to the same customer base.

From my own experience, though they sound very, very similar, there is just something different between them. And when I say 'them,' I'm talking about the 5150-I and the 6505. There is an obvious difference between these and the 5150-II, and 6505+ (namely, a 6th preamp tube).

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
TMM said:
Okay... this poll is missing the most important one: the Peavey Ultra 120. This thing is the missing link between the 5150s and the Triple-X, and outplays either.

Very underrated amp. I wouldn't say that is outplays the 5150/6505, though, because they are designed for completely different things. The 5150/6505 has the most brutal rhythm tone of any Peavey amp ever. The Ultra has that absolutely amazing crunch channel, that made it to the JSX model unchanged. It's like a hotrodded Marshall, right out of the box.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
TMM said:
Straight from the horse's mouth, at a recent product knowledge training session I went to, the rep from Peavey said that they are very similar, but not the same amp. He said there were very minor differences in components, but that for all intents and purposes, they could be sold to the same customer base.

From my own experience, though they sound very, very similar, there is just something different between them. And when I say 'them,' I'm talking about the 5150-I and the 6505. There is an obvious difference between these and the 5150-II, and 6505+ (namely, a 6th preamp tube).

I'm not going to discount this possibility, but at the same time I'm also not about to take a product rep's word as bible here, especially when whats at stake here is a very popular amp that was rebranded after the departure of a former big-name endorser...

I mean, it's sort of in their best interest to suggest that the two amps are not identical. Could they be slightly different? Perhaps, but I'd want to see a spec sheet/schematic before I'd buy it.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
If you want balls, then the 5150, if you want smooth lead tones and non offensive thick defined distortion then give the JSX a bash. Personally i like the JSX, but it lacked that griowl and aggression I'd look for in an amp, but, it still sounded better than a dual rec to me.

Anyway, that's all my experience as i've never tried any of the others :)

')