The Peavey Amp Shootout!

• Thread starter Shannon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The best Peavey amp currently in production is the...

• XXX

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • ValveKing

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 6505/6505+/5150

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • XXL

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • JSX

Votes: 27 23.1%

• Total voters

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I just don't think you can beat the 5150/6505, It's relatively cheap, well built, reliable & sounds awesome & it's the main amp of choice for hundreds of pro Guitarists.
It's reputation speaks volumes & it's well deserved IMHO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I voted JSX for versitility.
but I own a 5150 combo and with good tubes in it thru a Marshall cab with Greenbacks it sounds pretty amazing. I run mine thru a hotplate as well, they have a sweet spot at around 4 post gain
but that is really freaking loud. I run a BBE sonic stomp in the loop too.
the clean on mine actually sounds good to. (2 low gain JJ's in V3,V4 do the trick).

Sometimes7

Reaction score
I went amp hunting one day with another guy I played with, and we tried 3 Peavey's that day, the 5150, the XXX and the XXL. Surprisingly I didn't like the XXX at all, thought the 5150 was alright but really liked that XXL.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
try a JSX ... the amp is so good ... and not just for the price ... it's kick ass. although mesa people would probably like it better if it shipped with 6L6's

Universe74

Reaction score
They seem to really bash these amps on HC. Often the comment is they have an 'open wha' sound.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
might be just the clip but all the lower end riffs sound really bassy and boomy.

')