The Peavey Amp Shootout!

• Thread starter Shannon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The best Peavey amp currently in production is the...

• XXX

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • ValveKing

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 6505/6505+/5150

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • XXL

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • JSX

Votes: 27 23.1%

• Total voters

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
angryman said:
^
I can't imagine a DS1 would work very well with the 5150 i think it'd be really fuzzy cos' there'd be more gain.

Turn the gain down on the amp a bit, turn the gain on the OD pedal to 0, turn the volume on the pedal all the way up, set the tone on the pedal to your liking = :yesway:

I haven't heard too many amps that don't sound better with a boost up front.

Digitech Bad Monkeys OWN btw! They're also only $40 :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I was going by this pic from vai.com:

livegear_firegarden04.jpg

But I guess he's changed since then.

Ah yeah, I believe that was from 2000... I was referring to what he used when I saw him last April.

angryman said:
I hear of alot of Guitarists using the Maxon OD 808 do they really make that much difference ?

Dear god, yes. World of difference! Andy Sneap, James Murphy, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, The Absence, DevilDriver, Neil Kernon, etc all use a variant of the Maxon OD808, and I've never heard an amp not sound better with one infront.

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
^
You Guys have gotta be shittin' me!
so are the tonal differences very noticable or subtle? I like the tone i've got so i don't want to change it completely, just make it more powerful & focused.

& while i've got your attention, which of the OD's do you guys suggest would be best choice for the 5150? I play a mix of Thrash, Death & Sludgecore.
Are the Bad Monkeys really that good? & would the DS1 do the job? (goddamn! i sound retarded, you would'nt think i've been playin 15 years or so):rolleyes: :ugh:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The idea is basically to use an OD pedal with the drive off as kind of a "mid-pass" fliter - it changes the gain structure to tighten up the midrange.

I've been thinking about picking up a Boss SD-1 and trying this - I always liked the midrange of that one a little better than the classic Tube Screamer (which is what an OD-808 is). IIRC, from owning a DS-1 a long time ago, they don't have the same mid-focus, so they probably wouldn't sound as good - but who knows?

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
i like the wylde od or the rat in front of my amps.
that being said, i have played bith the xxx and the jsx, and for versatility, the jsx cannot be beat. the tone is very good on this amp, and can easily do a variaty of things. it is a bit more expensive so, if all you are really looking at is distorion, get the xxx. the crunch channel is fucking insane.

Robotechnology

Reaction score
This one was tough. I selected the JSX. If I was more of a rhythm player, I would have picked the 6505.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
angryman said:
^
You Guys have gotta be shittin' me!
so are the tonal differences very noticable or subtle? I like the tone i've got so i don't want to change it completely, just make it more powerful & focused.

& while i've got your attention, which of the OD's do you guys suggest would be best choice for the 5150? I play a mix of Thrash, Death & Sludgecore.
Are the Bad Monkeys really that good? & would the DS1 do the job? (goddamn! i sound retarded, you would'nt think i've been playin 15 years or so):rolleyes: :ugh:
DSS turned me on to the "OD trick" as well. I use an Boss SD-1 and it makes a huge difference. It tightens the sound up quite nicely and brings out the harmonics too.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Or the Transtube 112 combo?! :mad:

:crickets:

Seriously, I had one of those years ago when I was just starting out and had no money. Solid amp, recorded really well. I haven't played many solid state Peaveys recently, but those "Transtube" models they used to have were pretty cool.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Shannon said:
A KILLER amp, no doubt, but this is for current models. :hbang:

Have you looked at the ValveKing since starting this thread Shannon? I am picking up a dynamic mic tonight, and I'll post clips to my website tomorrow or Sunday.

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score
I have both a 5150 and an Ultra Plus, and what the 5150 lacks in versatility, it makes up for it in sheer mid grind. The amp has come closer than anything I've had so far to hitting the tone I have in my head. It with my Maxon OD808 out front and with my LPC with an EMG85 in the bridge sounds awesome.

The Ultra Plus is a great amp in its own right, and they are dirt cheap right now. The clean channel lacks headroom, but both the crunch and the ultra are pretty damn versatile. I've had mine since '98 when I bought it brand new, and would be hardpressed to ever sell it. It's the one piece of gear I've had the longest, other then my TU2!

BCrowell

Cubicle Dweller
Contributor
Reaction score
I voted for the JSX. I played both the XXX and JSX, and for what I do, the JSX is more in-line with what I need. I did feel the ultra channel on the JSX kicks a$$, but the XXX a little more so. I found the 10 min on the XXX to be playing metal licks, while on the JSX I could play everything!!! The clean channel on the JSX stomped the XXX IMHO.

I've decided, hell or high water, I'm saving up for a used JSX (preferebly one with JJs already in it).

BTW "Apathy" was a KILLER tune!!:yesway:

Shaman

Reaction score
I don't really know about the others, but I absolutely love my 6505!!

It's a very versatile amp, atleast in the gain department, and sounds amazing.

I use a Boss SD-1 as a level booster infront of the 6505, and them together sound divine.

I will post soundclips some day.

Oh, adn that thing on top of the amp is my Koch LoadBox power atteunator. I actually use it's speaker sim to record. I just plug the speaker cable from the amp to the Koch, connect the Koch to my PC and I am ready to record. :hbang:

Yeah, I know. I am a happy camper as far as gear is concerned :)

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
Shaman said:
I don't really know about the others, but I absolutely love my 6505!!

It's a very versatile amp, atleast in the gain department, and sounds amazing.

I use a Boss SD-1 as a level booster infront of the 6505, and them together sound divine.

Yeah, I know. I am a happy camper as far as gear is concerned :)

Dude i use the same set up except i've got the 5150 & i've got the heaviest tightest tone i could ever wish for it totally destroys, although i'm really keen to try out a Maxon OD808 or OD9 up front as i've heard so much good comments about them.

Congrats dude:hbang:

Shaman

Reaction score
angryman said:
Dude i use the same set up except i've got the 5150 & i've got the heaviest tightest tone i could ever wish for it totally destroys, although i'm really keen to try out a Maxon OD808 or OD9 up front as i've heard so much good comments about them.

Congrats dude:hbang:

Yeah, we are lucky bastards :hbang:

Oh, and nice guitar too btw. ;)

')