The Post Your Daily Practice Routines Thread!

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
I find it hard for myself to stick to any sort of daily routine at all really and I've really been trying to improve my drumming with my left hand.
While given sticks and a practice pad for Christmas, my mentor, Rey, asked me to show him what I've got.
I was dead nervous being put on the spot like that and played what I knew anyways.
Long story short, he pointed out that my left hand is really underdeveloped and told me to work on it 10 minutes a day, every day.

So here's my practice routine for today!
- 10 Minutes on the practice pad at 110BPM

I don't quite have a guitar practice routine quite yet so maybe a thread like this will help others to try different routines and the main idea of this thread is to keep track of your own practice and progress! Heck, even post workout routines! Anything! This is really a self-motivation kinda thing because it's nice to look back and see how far we've come.

:)

I'm hoping everyone takes part and this catches on and keeps us all on track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
Most of my practice involves improv. I'm part of the school that meticulous practice is necessary when you find something you can't do but want to :D so I'll fiddle around for a bit until I find a lick I can't play at speed, then sit down and metronome it for a while until I'm satisfied. Or until I see a guitarist using a technique I'd want to use, so I practice it (Vai type 8 finger stuff is killing me now... I've got Building the Church at half tempo! lol)

Arminius

Reaction score
I just play whatever comes to mind for a few hours, I've never been much for "wood shedding"

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
Most of the time I'll just do like 30 minutes of chromatics and finger excercises with a metronome as a warm up and then just play whatever, no real routine beyond that point.

darbdavys

Reaction score
-play Bland Street Bloom 2 times
-play Flogging The Horses 2 times
-play the lydian lick of The COunt of Tuscany a lot, for my alt and to actually be able to play it :lol:

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I usually use the chromatic and move onto the Phrygian mode for some ups and downs and last a little non technical sweeping routine with similar shapes (like the pre-solo sweeps in bed of razors) and then diminished arpeggios. It's not always in that order nor does it always include everything though :lol:

Then I move on to my normal jamming!

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
1.) Pick 12 notes. Shred.
2.) Pick hardest alternate picking/string skipping riff. 160bpm. 190bpm. 220bpm.
3.) ???
4.) Arps. Mad arps. Arpegios over hoes, fo sho.
5.) Profit.

Reaction score
I usually try to practice messing with the phrygian mode. Then I practice harmonic minor sweeps (I've gotten up to 5 strings sweeps after about a month of that). Then just jam for quite awhile. Then get bored and put the guitar down. Then I go steal my brother's bas.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Did my 10 minutes again on the practice pad yesterday and it's getting way easier already so I might start doing single for 5 minutes and double for 5 minutes starting the 15th of this month. Next month bumping up 5 or 10 BPM.

Gonna start practicing sweeping to a metronome for 10 minutes daily soon :)
I really like how this sort of "disciplined" practice is improving my drumming and I look forward to finally being able to sweep at speeds I want cleanly and evenly.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I usually do about 30-60 minutes of "strict" practicing consisting of warming up and then working on technique (alt picking and sweeping lately) with a metronome. From there I usually just jam/write until my hands get too tired to play anymore. Its fun to start up some random drum loops and see what I come up with when I'm just jamming/generating ideas. When I'm at home, I always practice with my recording interface open so I can take down ideas as they come.

Bevo

Reaction score
These days I warm up with a couple of songs then work on a couple I am learning then finish off jamming to youtube.

Have also been trying to learn clean blues for a bit and that is super hard for me. Don't really know the music or am used to using the fretboard like that..Its a great way to learn!

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
I usually try to warm up first for 30-1hour. I've been studying "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick to get going on my fretboard harmony, and I just picked up "Rhythm & Meter Patterns" by Gary Chaffee, its a snare drum solo book focusing on polyrhythms and mixed meters. I'm not sure but I think my routine is going to start combining the two into improvising sessions. I always practice with my Macbook and Logic open to use Addictive Drums or just a metronome for time as right now I'm trying to conquer my rhythm chops.

Latest posts

')