The President's Day anti-SS.org NGD!

• Thread starter troyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
In honor of George Washington, I went out on the shitty snowy roads (schools and a lot of other stuff were closed yesterday) and spent a bunch of money at Guitar Center! :lol:

What did I buy? A sure favorite of everyone here, a Gibson! :cool:

Yep, I bought a USA Gibson from Guitar Center. But there's more...

it only has one pickup! :eek:

and a bridge with fixed intonation! :noplease:

pics first, story later

DSCN5222.JPG

DSCN5223.JPG

DSCN5224.JPG

DSCN5225.JPG

DSCN5226.JPG

DSCN5227.JPG

I went in there looking to maybe buy a decent beater guitar to leave at our rehearsal space instead of my RR1, if they had anything worth buying. Played a couple of dozen guitars from $99 Epiphones to $700 stuff from Ibanez/Schecter/Fender/PRS SE and was about to go home. Then, on my way out, I spotted some Gibsons were on sale for only $599. They were a pair of ugly looking LP Juniors, but with humbuckers instead of P90's. I figured what the hell and picked one up.

It literally blew away everything else I tried under $1000. Felt great, sounded great but still pretty bland/ugly looking so I kept jamming away. The main competition was between the Gibson and a pair of PRS SE's: a white Singlecut marked at $479 before the 15% coupon and an amber Custom 24 at the regular $664 before the coupon. They both looked way better than the Gibson, had better upper fret access, and were much more versatile in that they had neck pickups - but they just didn't feel or sound as good. I almost went with the white singlecut as it was the cheapest and I love white guitars, but the tiny frets made it hard to play. So, after comparing everything I went with the boring looking but awesome playing Gibson.

Total price: $510 + tax for a new-in-box one from the back (which I took out and played to make sure it at least matched the floor demo - it did)

It only came with a Gibson USA gig bag instead of a case, so I'll have to pick one up eventually but I still think the guitar was a steal.

It's a GC-exclusive model which just came out this weekend, so specs are a little fuzzy but there are some cool things about it:

Mahogany neck and body (mine appears to be 2-piece, not 4+ like I've heard stories about)
Vulcanized MAPLE fretboard :agreed:
Gibson 498T pickup with push-pull coil tap
neck profile somewhere between the fat 50's and slim 60's
thin matte finish, can see the wood grain in many areas
Kluson Deluxe tuners with silly small white plastic knobs :ugh:

I know there's a lot of talk about Gibson's being over-priced and shit, but this series seems to be the exact opposite. Perhaps they're listening?

Now I'm going to fire it up for a few more minutes at home before I try to focus on homework for class tonight :wallbash:

tl;dr: I bought a cool Gibson for cheap.

edit: I'm also looking for mod ideas to make it look more fun! I'm currently thinking about chroming out the rest of the hardware (pickguard, pickup ring, control knobs, and tuner knobs). Thoughts/ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
You bought it for the right reasons. :yesway:

Too many people (and for the record, I'm as guilty as the next guy!) make purchases based on pre-conceived notions that may or may not be actually true in practice. Sure, Gibson has earned a lot of it's reputation here, but its also earned a lot of its reputation with the millions of players out there who swear by them. In short: EVERY guitar (even 2 guitars of the same model by the same manufacturer built to the same specs) is different, and you never know until you hold it in your own hands whether or not it's going to be a good guitar for YOU. (the proverbial 'you'; not anyone specific.)

Stoked for you.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
Congratz man! All that matter is how much YOU like the guitar anyways right?

I'm glad you found something you liked!

That being said, I would never buy a les paul over something else no matter how much I liked it simply because I am a superficial ass. :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
There is nothing about that guitar that isn't SS.org blasphemy :lol:

Badass regardless. Glad you got something you dig :yesway:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... that's a killer price on a brand-new USA Gibson. And it should be fantastic for what you wanted it for... a beater you can bang around without guilt. :agreed:

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay...
Don't know why...but I totally want one now. That thing just looks awesome...and a USA made thats cheap too? lol
win.

I like that fretboard!

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i bet that guitar would greatly benefit from a pickup swap.

:cough cough BARE KNUCKLE cough cough: :wavey:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Awesome, man! Congrats!
Personally I would've gone with the PRS SE's, but that's probably just because I'm a fanboy.

I'm gonna see what I can find with a vulcanized maple neck. Warmoth should offer that as an option on their maple necks.

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
Awesome, man! Congrats!
Personally I would've gone with the PRS SE's, but that's probably just because I'm a fanboy.

I'm gonna see what I can find with a vulcanized maple neck. Warmoth should offer that as an option on their maple necks.

I doubt Warmoth has the necessary equipment to vulcanize the maple themselves, they would probably have to find a supplier who does the process.

')