The "Prototype" Gibson Moderne...What's everyone's take?

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
I always wondered if this guitar ever did exist. Many call it the "Bigfoot of the Guitar World"' with no real record of its existance. This raises many questions, unfortunately not many answers.

So i turn to the SS community for your takes on this legendary guitar.

Here are some facts i do know...

In 1957' 3 guitar sketches were made at Gibson Guitars, these were the start of a "New Age" of body shapes' going against the traditional styles at the time. These guitars were on the drawing board as the Explorer, Flying V' and the MODERNE.

Though the explorer and flying v were in fact put into production in 1958, they did not sell very well. Surviving examples fetch upwards of $100,000.:eek:

But what about the Moderne?:idea:

The moderne wasn't released until 1982, and still didn't sell too well. Many have tried to find evidence or proof of prototypes that exist, but not much has amounted. In the mid 1980's, guitar collectors offered a $1,000,000 reward to anyone who could find the guitar, but it was never found. Also, a shipment list from Gibson was shown to have "Mod. Guitars" on the label, but noone can find even a hint of them being Modernes, so many believe it was in fact Gibson Explorers.

Sources claim Ted McCarty said there were a few prototypes made, but still no proof. Many theorys to it exist, but few are able to be backed up.

So after all this typing...WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ON IT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I suppose there would be a high value for the prototype of any famous guitar shape; since the Moderne is a little bit more infamous as it KO'ed for a reason (kind of ugly as hell), there may be high value for it but in a more limited market... kind of like a curiosity. As far as where an original prototype might be, maybe Gibson buried it in the same landfill as Atari's dumped their unsold E.T. cartridges (per the urban legend).

If the Moderne came out of the same design batch as the Flying V and the Explorer, one definitely can't pick on them for a very strong 2 out of 3.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Who cares, if it surfaces up you know it's Billy Gibbons who will snatch it anyway. :lol:
Not a fan of the shape, that said uglier guitars have sold.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I remember that firebird. You'd think they had learned

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
It's quite obvious why the moderne never saw a public release in bulk, and why the V and Explorer did (slightly), better back then.

ibanez.jpg

I mean, seriously.

Also, I know those are ibanez models, but who's actually paying attention? :lol:

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Bigfoot exists, and I have proof:

223772_240037799362736_6779028_n.jpg

From the Gibson USA (NOT Custom) factory.. less than a year old. ;)

Don Vito

Reaction score
It's the awkward child of a BC Rich Ignitor.(yeah I know "X came first" blah blah)

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
It would sit way too low on my leg. I like how a strat shaped body puts the neck up a little higher when playing sitting down. Even a Les Paul shaped body puts the neck lower when sitting down. This thing however would require a strap to keep the guitar up. Same deal with V's and other whacky shaped guitars. Lots of young kids love 'em until they start playing them and realize you can't sit down with the thing.

')