The "Prototype" Gibson Moderne...What's everyone's take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Uh, I would totally play this guitar:

120608_015.JPG

Okay I actually really like that. :lol:

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
One of my favorite guitar body shapes ever. gets a lot of shit but I love it :agreed:

Too bad Gibson totally messed up the headstock on that reissue...

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I think the OP is referring to the original "lost" prototype. IMO, it probably doesn't exist. As mentioned earlier Billy Gibbons supposedly acquired the original prototype but it was never verified.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to side with those who think they never made it out of the plant. If Ted said they were built, then they were built. He doesn't have a reason to lie, and if there would be anyone to know it would be him.

Too many have offered small fortunes to find these and have come away empty handed. Too much time has passed for it to be a single collector or collectors hoarding them from the get go.

They were probably destroyed/parted out when the model's production was cancelled. I'm sure no one had the forethought to keep them around for no reason and overtime those that did survive initially probably went to the wayside.

Though, you never know, there could be a 108 year old former music store worker that bought all six back in the 50's and has them in a display case in his basement. :lol:

wakjob

Reaction score
These were also known as the "Gumby" guitars.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Too bad Gibson totally messed up the headstock on that reissue...

They didn't!

The original headstock looked cool and fitted with the shape, but it was a fucking nightmare in every other way... have you seen the number of string trees they had to use on it? :lol:

30U-14979_headstock-front.jpg

:rofl:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I've never even heard of these until just now. I'm a sucker for old things, though, I wish they had some surviving prototypes.

I don't think I would like to play one, however. Aside from crazy shit like Spalt guitars, I'm totally okay with Strat, Tele, and LP shapes.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I love the Moderne, WITH the ugly string-tree headstock. I don't know why, I know it's ugly, but I've always wanted one.

petervindel

Reaction score
I actually have an Ibanez that I guess you can say is "influenced" by The Modern´s design:

Attachments

• Blogg.jpg
    Blogg.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 30

Dan Halen

Reaction score
I think this guitar is like the fender "swinger" its retro/modern shape makes it kinda strangely appealing.
3773831287_a4e09ea928_o.jpg

It's not a matter of whether it's pretty or not. it's more of a taste factor. it's obviously a non standard and the people who like standard guitars most WILL NOT like this. but i like modern looking guitars and i think with the original headstock and an actual paint finish it may be a really cool looking Item and regain a lot of popularity. i was thinking a mint green or a purple.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick says he owns that original Moderne. He has so many insanely expensive guitars, it could quite possibly be true.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Same is true for Billy Gibbons. If someone truly had the original Moderne, why hide it? Why hide it from the public eye?

')