The Random Knowledge Thread

• Thread starter Wingchunwarrior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wingchunwarrior

OVER THE LINE!
Reaction score
got another one

Scientifically, the earth has more than 1 moon...

It is still an ongoing debate, but there are 7 potential objects that could be classified as moons...

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
got another one

Scientifically, the earth has more than 1 moon...

It is still an ongoing debate, but there are 7 potential objects that could be classified as moons...

That's false, for the record. In fact, I've only heard of one in debate, Cruithne, and that was proven false in the 80s...

Here you are.

Earth HAD more than one moon, but no longer.

EDIT:
To elaborate further, there are specific orbital patterns that an object in space must conform to in order to be considered a moon. These "7 objects" may be asteroidal debris that are, as with everything in the universe, challenged by Earth's gravitational pull, yet are not classified as moons. That said, there is still a community of earthlings that insist that we are actually on the inside of the Earth's surface and still argue adamantly though Physics has proven this impossible. So, I suppose "in debate" could be an appropriate term. They're still wrong. :shrug:

groph

Reaction score
The ancient Greeks once had a battalion of warriors called The Sacred Band of Thebes who were gay lovers. Their motivation to fight was to keep their significant others alive, and they fought like ............s.

EDIT: Mothergolfers....

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Random knowledge? Well, I do know that:

profilepic1658_9.gif

+

Kettle_Gourd.jpg

=

Love.jpg

Don't ask. :squint:

:lol:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
The German word for acorn is eichel.

:)

I don't know why knowing this makes me happy, it just does.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I remember random barcodes from around my work, like a case of our water in a 24 pack is 04902249677, BUT if you change one of those numbers to a '2' it becomes a can of peanuts! There are more but I'm not gonna make myself look weirder.

I like to try and remember the legitimate name of drugs, like acetetaphetamine and dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and such.

There's more but I'm blanking.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^I can write the structures for both of those molecules, and I hate chemistry. :lol:

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
if you hold a lighter while lit, then bend an orange peel close it will spray flammable liquids. just a very very tiny bit.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. My wife always tells me I'm full of these random facts (that are kind of worthless for everyday life)

Jupiter has no (solid) surface.

The biggest freshwater fish known to man is the Giant Death Ray found in the Mekong River (which also has the most species of giant fish in any body of fresh water)

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston can hit every note on a grand piano with their voice

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Human foreskins discarded after circumcision are sold to biomedical companies for use in artificial skin manufacture. One foreskin contains enough material to grow 250,000 square feet of new skin. They are also used as a "secret" ingredient in popular antiwrinkle gels.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston can hit every note on a grand piano with their voice

No way!

Human foreskins discarded after circumcision are sold to biomedical companies for use in artificial skin manufacture. One foreskin contains enough material to grow 250,000 square feet of new skin. They are also used as a "secret" ingredient in popular antiwrinkle gels.

WHAAAAT?? hahahah

I'm quickly falling in love with this thread. It's right up my alley.

*At one point in history, black pepper was valued more dear than gold.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
A specimen of the Argentine blue-bill duck had a 42.5 cm (17 inches) long penis, the average length of this species is 20 cm 8 inches

The fully erect penis is twice the size of the bird: it is like us having a 3.5 m (12 feet) penis

And Blue Whales have on average an 8 foot penis that never gets fully erect :lol:

nojyeloot

Reaction score
A specimen of the Argentine blue-bill duck had a 42.5 cm (17 inches) long penis, the average length of this species is 20 cm 8 inches

The fully erect penis is twice the size of the bird: it is like us having a 3.5 m (12 feet) penis

And Blue Whales have on average an 8 foot penis that never gets fully erect :lol:

:rofl: These "animal/pen15" random facts are killing me

*The loudest (and largest mammal) animal in the world is the Blue Whale.
beached_blue_whalebb.jpg

Appropriately named, 2nd place goes to the Howler Monkey.

howler-monkey-pictures_3.jpg

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Till Lindemann of Rammstein took part in the European Junior Swimming Championships as a child

Latest posts

')