The relevance of celestion elements today?

• Thread starter Unjustly-Labeled
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking at cheap 2x12 cabinets and am kinda wondering how important celestion actually is today. As I understand it, during the 60-90 it was the only really good alternative to turn to. But do celestions really sound better than other elements today, compared to all the new shit popping up? Are people still using them because they just sound better than other options, or is it some kind of obsession with vintage, or their heroes using them, or what?

I've always been curious about this, and I think I am more likely to get an honest opinion from people here than by scouring other forums for answers, since ss.org seems more focused on the objective quality of products rather than tradition.

So I guess my question is this: Is it worth it to shell out more cash for a celestion equipped cabinet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Celestions are good sounding, and relatively cheap. Not to mention they're EVERYWHERE, hence why so many folks use them.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Yeah, they are everywhere. Is there a reason for that? I mean, doesn't anyone want in on that market? Why aren't we seeing competition like in other markets? Is it just a lack of exposure to competition (no one buys them), or are there no alternatives able to compete at all?

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
celestion pretty much set the benchmark that all other guitar speakers are compared to, but today there are so many great choices that it should not be the only speaker you consider. eminence, peavey, WGS, jensen, weber, EV, B&C, and JBL all make some great speakers that are worth consideration. Many companies have used one of the brands mentioned above to make their "own" drivers for their amps (i.e. Carvin uses re-branded eminence in their PA and guitar/bass amps except for their Vintage 30 or Greenback cabs). The best way to try out cabs if possible is to bring your own head in and see how well it responds.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
celestion pretty much set the benchmark that all other guitar speakers are compared to, but today there are so many great choices that it should not be the only speaker you consider. eminence, peavey, WGS, jensen, weber, EV, B&C, and JBL all make some great speakers that are worth consideration. Many companies have used one of the brands mentioned above to make their "own" drivers for their amps (i.e. Carvin uses re-branded eminence in their PA and guitar/bass amps except for their Vintage 30 or Greenback cabs). The best way to try out cabs if possible is to bring your own head in and see how well it responds.

It's good to know that there are alternatives that don't have a rep for being shit. But my big problem is this, I can't really try anything out, or get a good idea of the capability of anything, since I've never stood in front of an amp! :lol: I really don't know what I'm looking for since I'm a first time buyer (All I've done has been through amp sims). I'm kinda like a lost little lamb in that sense.

I'll write up my situation, I'm looking at some of the Bugera amps now (333xl, 1990 and 6260 Infinium models). It's pretty much all I've found in my price range, and I'm looking at cab alternatives. It would seem like the safest route would be to go with a Bugera cab, but I can't seem to find what elements they have. The other alternative would be a Harley Benton cab with celestions, which is a little more expensive than the Bugera one. The HB cab has a surprisingly good rep from what I saw the last time I googled it. So I'm torn between these options. Now, I mostly just want something with pleasant tone, not the best tone ever heard by man. :lol:

Pensilac

Reaction score
If I had to choose between the HB and Bugera cabs, I would definitely go with the HB for the Celestions alone. Speakers and cabs in general are not something you want to skimp on if you can help it.

Other than Celestion speakers, Eminence seem be rather highly regarded and WGS apparently make some good ones as well, though I have yet to try either brand.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Well, I also see a Jet City cab with Eminence speakers in my price range, could that be a third option? Well, unless I can completely count out the Bugera with unknown elements. That'll make it a second option.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
your best bet is to just take your amp and try the cabinet before you buy it, that way you know if they are the sound your going for, are broken in, and give you something to compare to.

Edit : just saw your location, and perhaps trying before you buy is out of the question then disregard my statement ;)

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
your best bet is to just take your amp and try the cabinet before you buy it, that way you know if they are the sound your going for, are broken in, and give you something to compare to.

Edit : just saw your location, and perhaps trying before you buy is out of the question then disregard my statement ;)

The location isn't a problem. We aren't savages over here y'know! :lol: We have a ....load of stores around Gothenburg where I could check out stuff, but I can't because I don't know what to look out for! I don't have an amp, and have never touched one that can be used as a measure of quality, so judging cabs wouldn't really be viable for me. Thus, I turn to the infinite wisdom of the internet for answers! :bowdown:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Yeah, they are everywhere. Is there a reason for that? I mean, doesn't anyone want in on that market? Why aren't we seeing competition like in other markets? Is it just a lack of exposure to competition (no one buys them), or are there no alternatives able to compete at all?

there is competition, like Eminence and WGS and some others like Electro Voice , etc.

but celestion has been the norm for so long that it's pretty much the standard for most companies, as people buy the usual products which are either green backs, v30, or g12 t75's from celestion for their cabinets, and that is mostly what we hear, we only really have those to draw off of, there are not too many companies that load with different models or even completely different brands, so the only way we can experiment is trying to find the rare cab with different speakers or buy and try (which is always feasible)

there are more options, but most companies aren't willing to budge from the norm, so we are stuck with the same old same old, just with a slight twist on the box the speakers come in.

like i said there are companies that do have other models that aren't normally seen and some that load eminence and, wgs, and EV speakers in their cabs, but are not easily found to try before you buy

ideally we would all love to have a standardized 4x12 cab and a bunch of them lined up all loaded with different brands and models, but that's not going to happen, so we try whats available and work from there

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
It's interesting that musicians seem to be the most averse to trying new things. At least when it comes to some things. If I were to post the same question on another forum or talk about it in real life I bet I would get the usual "because everything else is shit" response. The people here seem at least interested in unusual gear. It's one of the reasons I stayed at this forum. Less tradition hugging than elsewhere.

It feels wrong to say I might go with the celestion HB cab after this thread, but when on as tight a budget as mine, I can't really afford to take risks. So I think I just answered the question of why musicians don't try too many new things. Fear, uncertainty and doubt reinforced throughout decades. Combine that with tight wallets, and you've got stagnation...

Given To Fly

Reaction score
To some degree, I don't think the "guitar speaker industry" is one many people want to get into. It's sort of like toothpaste: can you make significantly better toothpaste at a lower price than Crest? Probably not. Thats why there are only 4 or 5 companies that make toothpaste; there isn't room in the market for a new brand to be successful. Celestion (and others) make great sounding guitar speakers, so I think the mentality is "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

In contrast, look at the guitar pedal industry! Everyone thinks they can make a better wah, phaser, flanger, fuzz, etc. The market is loaded with small boutique pedal builders. Are they all successful? We'll see in a couple years.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Well, the more companies that make stuff, the cheaper gear we get! Competition will always force companies to provide better quality for lower prices in order to stay competitive. Too much competition can never be a bad thing unless you count confusion in relation to "there is too much good stuff! What should I get!?" :lol:

')