The RG7 mods ultimate thread

• Thread starter OneTwoThrill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my heavily modded RG7621 that started out as a 2016 impulse buy from eBay and turned into my #1 for 6+ years. I re-profiled and thinned the neck by about 1mm, removed the finish, veneered the top, and routed for the new control cavity. An outside shop did the re-spray in kandy teal, which is the absolute MOST difficult color to capture correctly in pics.

The bridge pickup is a Blaze Custom, and while I started out wiring it up Page-style with 4 push-pull pots, the final version is wired up with a 6-way FreeWay Ultra switch adding in the series(in-phase)/series(out-of-phase)/parallel(out-of-phase) combined pickup options. Along with that, the pots were switched over to Duncan-style Triple Shot wiring so I can get series/split1/split2/parallel wiring out of each individual pickup, along with PRS-style partial split resistors and a resistor on each volume pot to shift the tapers up from 10% to 20-25%. The two bridge pickup pots have also been changed to 1Meg to get closer to the correct loading for the 'normal' positions with the 6-way wiring. It's got 72 different pickup settings, but TBH, only around a dozen of them see regular use.
I love all of this minus the pickup rings, why, why pickup rings on that 7 stringer? IMO it makes the guitar look cheap...

Ok, my turn now... previously known as MIJ Ibanez RG7421... I'm not sure if I've posted this one here already, sorry if it's a duplicated post...

Here's my RG7421 with the same wiring approach, all the same combos as yours + Graphtech Ghost piezos, which makes 145 different tones to mess with.
Ibanez_RG7421_02_NET.jpg

Ibanez_RG7421_04_NET.jpg

And its controls (old photo)...
RG7421-MandalaAmarela_2018_controlos.jpg

By the time this photo was taken, the controls worked like indicated in the picture, but that was because the pickups were rotated 180º. Now, the outer and inner coils controls are swapped and the pickups are custom Alnico 5 loaded ones for a mid/high output. The Kill switch is'n't working properly and I don't really like it as it makes a bit of noise. First time I re-wired this guitar and a few others, I also installed push/pull pots, but moved away from them pretty fast. They're cool for pretty guitars, but for those guitars that are racing machines, no thanks, get me switches...

Tip, for out-of-phase humbucking tones with one coil from each pickup, use the coils with the same polarity, like both North or both South.

The actual pickups look like this:
ToneMate-V2_06.jpg

These are headless screws with a point tip, inserted upside down. Compared to its original screws, these kind of focus a bit more each string's capture, while the original screws gave the pickup a bit more rawness... I love the look of the pickups in the photo, but those screws can't be out much nor I dig when picking or they'll start to scratch my picking hand... some particularities that we only understand once we experience them...

The back of the headstock...
Ibanez_RG7421_05_net.jpg

Mods of this lady here are (from head to bottom):
1 - Open gear locking tuners from Hipshot + open gear locking X-tender on the 7th string for precise and quick drop A (not that I use it much though)
2 - Graphtech graphite nut
3 - Stainless steel frets
4 - Custom wound Alnico 5 pickups.
5 - Graphtech Ghost piezos with the Acousti-phonic preamp
6 - Crazy ass wiring
7 - Hand / brush made paint job.
8 - Battery box installed, but not pictured...

All mods by me except for the Stainless Steel frets and Graphite nut. I routed a small channel beneath the bridge to collect all the piezo wires and then rout them into the main cavity. I also had to carve a bit the inside of the main cavity in order to fit the Freeway 3X3-05 Ultra switch. Other than that, its cavity retains its original size. I had to enlarge the jack channel and therefore also had to get a new jackplate, but at the time I hadn't any, so I made one with what I had at hand, it works properly, so, move along...

The cavity is tighter than an egg. I use PCB connectors in order to have the circuit modular, so I can swap or replace parts when needed without soldering inside. here's how it looks.
RG7421-MandalaAmarela_2018_entranhas_1.jpg

... and the Graphtech's preamp fits inside the jack cavity without any mod...
RG7421-MandalaAmarela_2018_entranhas_2.jpg

I have some photos of the guitar pre-assembling... original paint stripped out and piezo wires' channel routed.
P9092721.JPG

The red-ish paint was desired to be transparent, but did I know about re-finishing guitars back in late 2000's? I like its looks so, move along...
RG7421-MandalaAmarela_Pintura.jpg

Attachments

• 20220407_194823.jpg
    20220407_194823.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I love all of this minus the pickup rings, why, why pickup rings on that 7 stringer? IMO it makes the guitar look cheap...

Ok, my turn now... previously known as MIJ Ibanez RG7421... I'm not sure if I've posted this one here already, sorry if it's a duplicated post...

Here's my RG7421 with the same wiring approach, all the same combos as yours + Graphtech Ghost piezos, which makes 145 different tones to mess with.
View attachment 148934
View attachment 148936

And its controls (old photo)...
View attachment 148937
By the time this photo was taken, the controls worked like indicated in the picture, but that was because the pickups were rotated 180º. Now, the outer and inner coils controls are swapped and the pickups are custom Alnico 5 loaded ones for a mid/high output. The Kill switch is'n't working properly and I don't really like it as it makes a bit of noise. First time I re-wired this guitar and a few others, I also installed push/pull pots, but moved away from them pretty fast. They're cool for pretty guitars, but for those guitars that are racing machines, no thanks, get me switches...

Tip, for out-of-phase humbucking tones with one coil from each pickup, use the coils with the same polarity, like both North or both South.

The actual pickups look like this:
View attachment 148938
These are headless screws with a point tip, inserted upside down. Compared to its original screws, these kind of focus a bit more each string's capture, while the original screws gave the pickup a bit more rawness... I love the look of the pickups in the photo, but those screws can't be out much nor I dig when picking or they'll start to scratch my picking hand... some particularities that we only understand once we experience them...

The back of the headstock...
View attachment 148943

Mods of this lady here are (from head to bottom):
1 - Open gear locking tuners from Hipshot + open gear locking X-tender on the 7th string for precise and quick drop A (not that I use it much though)
2 - Graphtech graphite nut
3 - Stainless steel frets
4 - Custom wound Alnico 5 pickups.
5 - Graphtech Ghost piezos with the Acousti-phonic preamp
6 - Crazy ass wiring
7 - Hand / brush made paint job.
8 - Battery box installed, but not pictured...

All mods by me except for the Stainless Steel frets and Graphite nut. I routed a small channel beneath the bridge to collect all the piezo wires and then rout them into the main cavity. I also had to carve a bit the inside of the main cavity in order to fit the Freeway 3X3-05 Ultra switch. Other than that, its cavity retains its original size. I had to enlarge the jack channel and therefore also had to get a new jackplate, but at the time I hadn't any, so I made one with what I had at hand, it works properly, so, move along...

The cavity is tighter than an egg. I use PCB connectors in order to have the circuit modular, so I can swap or replace parts when needed without soldering inside. here's how it looks.
View attachment 148940

... and the Graphtech's preamp fits inside the jack cavity without any mod...
View attachment 148941

I have some photos of the guitar pre-assembling... original paint stripped out and piezo wires' channel routed.
View attachment 148942

The red-ish paint was desired to be transparent, but did I know about re-finishing guitars back in late 2000's? I like its looks so, move along...
View attachment 148944

I like the Hershey's candy kiss pickups

Higgs

Reaction score

The honest (dorky?) answer about the pickup rings is that this one started out with the idea to replicate the looks of Wes Borland's old red LACS, but when the time came to actually finish it, things went in another direction. I was pretty ticked when the GRG7221M came out like a year later, though.

Also, excellent point about there being OOP hum-canceling options hidden in there! It took a long while for me to realize that.

Pretty wild wiring you've got going on. The screw terminals are a very smart decision, as well. Nice work!

')