The rg7620. What is it and what is it's backstory.

• Thread starter G.B.N.B
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
So I keep hearing everyone mention the rg7620.
Well I'm not too familiar with Ibanez' past rg line-ups but from what I gather alot has been discontinued and can only be obtained through imports or private sellers. Any one wanna fill me in? Also if their are links to pages that detail the past lineups thatd be cool. I'm too lazy to browse ibanezrules or jemsite for this info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Black

Reaction score
Ebay is great placeto find one. The fact that the 7620 is mentioned a lot should be testimony to it's greatness. Excellent features, quality build, good pickups, and usually resonable priced.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The 7620 was sort of an odd guitar for Ibanez to introduce, in a number of ways. It was essentially a poor man's universe, yet it offered many features that the UV didn't - an all access neck joint and color options (it came out during the production of the black with mother of pearl dot inlay UV that's widely regarded as one of the most boring signature models Ibanez has ever done) for one. The pickups were also unusually good for an ibanez - Dimarzio "New 7's" which while no match for a good afermarket set were noticeably clearer that the stock Ibanez V7's and V8's in most similar offerings (not knowing they were Dimarzio's when I tested mine, my first thought was "Damn, Ibanez has gotten better at making pickups since I last bought one of their guitars"). They listed for $1300 new, and initially went for a street price of $999, generally.

For specs... it's your typical RG body shape, two humbuckers wired to a five way, with a lo-pro Edge 7 trem, the best floating bridge I've personally ever played. Basswood body, rosewood fretboard, a great bridge and a very flexible switching system - it's just a great "player" guitar.

The kicker, of course, is when the seven string bubble burst, Ibanez was left with a ton of these that no one seemed to want. So, Musician's Friend cleared them out at like $450 a peice (of course, this is like two months after I bought mine for $700, figureing they couldn't possibly go any lower :lol:). Not only does this mean that there are pro-quality used seven strings out there readily available for the same if not less than their nearest six string edquivalent, it meant that when Ibanez re-introdced a RG 7, the 1527, they had to price them accordingly to compete with the used gutiar market, and they list for approximately the original street price of a 7620. :)

Basically, if you want a sevenstring with a floyd, you'd be HARD pressed to find a better one for the money, and overall I'd say only the UV, the JP7, and a couple of the seven string prestiges are on par with it for "metal" designed sevens.

-D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was very fortunate to find one hanging in a music store back in 1998. It was love at first sight. Now, I've been enjoying my UV7PWH.
Still, I find time to play my 7620 always. I recorded a song with it tonight.

They are out there. Very nice guitars.

nocturne

Reaction score
how is the 1527 ?? I live in Turkey and sevenstrings are rare here,so i will need to order one from a shop, but nowhere seems to bring some universes,and if they do they have atmospheric prices. I searched the market and it's the best 7 that will satisfy me but i'm a little worried about the tones and if it can cover a lot of ground( i mean is it just a lousy metal guitar,i want to play all kinds of music,especially with kick ass clean tones) . And all the 1527's are prestige models ? It seems to have only 1 color and thats Royal blue. Am i right ?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a pretty versatile guitar - I've taken my 7620 (basically the same thing) to jazz gigs and blues rock gigs before without raising too many eyebrows, and actually with the tone back a touch it really does sound pretty authentic on the neck pickup, for kenny burrell like stuff. If you want a new seven, it's a tough one to beat, for the price.

-D

nocturne

Reaction score
thanx a lot. Sorry gbnb for going a little of topic but can you refer me some cool pickups.I've been thinking of buying a tough distortion one for the bridge and a smooth clean-jazz pickup for the neck. Is this combination possible,and if is what can i buy ?

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Am I the only person on this board that "likes" the stock IBZ V7/8-7 pickups?

I have an RG7621, and I swapped the "New-7" pickups out for the V7/8-7 pickups. I thought the "New-7" pickups were muddy sounding compared to the ones in my RG7420.

Also, while we're talking 'differences'... does anyone else think the neck on the Universes feel wider than the RGs? I pass on Universes because of it. Thank God Ibanez came out with the RG series.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the edge is the best trem available. It's an excellent guitar. I had to sell mine recently. :( The trem posts have little locking screws that keep them completely motionless, and the bar allows for the warbly, underwater type of sound that I first heard on Blue Powder. :bowdown:

Digital Black

Reaction score
Regor said:

I have an RG7621, and I swapped the "New-7" pickups out for the V7/8-7 pickups. I thought the "New-7" pickups were muddy sounding compared to the ones in my RG7420.

Also, while we're talking 'differences'... does anyone else think the neck on the Universes feel wider than the RGs? I pass on Universes because of it. Thank God Ibanez came out with the RG series.
I swapped out the bridge, but I just can't bring myself to take out that stock neck. It really has a good sound to it..

jski7

Reaction score
Flobanez said:
I was very fortunate to find one hanging in a music store back in 1998. It was love at first sight. Now, I've been enjoying my UV7PWH.
Still, I find time to play my 7620 always. I recorded a song with it tonight.
They are out there. Very nice guitars.
Same here , I had ordered a VK from East Coast Music since the 7620 had a long backorder time locally . Then I walk into Sam Ash the same day and find one fresh from NAMM on the wall . SOLD , on the spot ! That was right after the VK color made it's debut and East Coast was still waiting for theirs . Only time Sam Ash ever impressed me :rolleyes: . Now , that 7620 has become a custom project . Anyway , to answer the question , a few of the posts above mention it's a "players" quality guitar . To be more precise , I'd call it a "utility" guitar . You can use a 7620 for alot of things , and it performs well in alot of situations . I'm of the thinking that the 7620 is one of the best guitars Ibanez has put out in a while , 6 or 7 strings . It just had the right qualities from the factory . I'm actually thinking of getting another 7620 (or two) instead of the J-Custom I'd planned on buying this year . For one , they're cheaper , and two , they just "fit" me . To say I love the 7620 would be an understatement . :metal:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, there's just something heartwarming about it :lol: - it's an all around great guitar at a hell of a price.

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
nocturne said:
thanx a lot. Sorry gbnb for going a little of topic but can you refer me some cool pickups.I've been thinking of buying a tough distortion one for the bridge and a smooth clean-jazz pickup for the neck. Is this combination possible,and if is what can i buy ?

Naw thats cool, I want pretty much the same thing from my guitar.

G.B.N.B

Reaction score
I'm not one to trust online bidding so this seems way to good to be true.
rg7620

Starting bid $0.99.
Current bid $28 bucks.

jski7

Reaction score
G.B.N.B said:
I'm not one to trust online bidding so this seems way to good to be true.
rg7620

Starting bid $0.99.
Current bid $28 bucks.
Nah , it's got 6 days or so left . It'll go up . Check it in a few days . That's a prime example though :yesway: .

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The guy selling it is definitely not a guitarist (not the power tools on his header ;)) and between that and the sharp bridge angle I'm slightyl disinclined to believe his "plays great." ;)

Nice guitar, though, after a good setup. :)

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
Regor said:

Well Im at least with you in prefering the RG to Universe, but thats because I dont like front mount pickups. Oh yeah, and I dont have Liberace's sense of fashion :fawk:

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone described the 7620, and it's new incarnation the 1527, as UVs with no fluff. I find that to be the most accurate.

A lot of 7620 ONLY guys bash UVs because they can't afford them and have never really had any first hand experience with them. People on this board are FAR less likely to do that than on other... ahem... forums.

I love mine and I love my UVs. I have to say that I prefer the Edge Pro so the 1527 gets my vote over the 7620 as an apples to apples comparison (let the thrashing begin! :)), but having a UV or something different and ALSO having a 7620/1527 would be the way to go IMHO.

jski7

Reaction score
No Soul said:
Well Im at least with you in prefering the RG to Universe, but thats because I dont like front mount pickups. Oh yeah, and I dont have Liberace's sense of fashion :fawk:
Liberace plays a seven ?! Damn :fawk: ! I used to hate the UV . It was loud , flashy , obnoxious - you name it . But those are the same things that attract me to it now :scratch: . It's definately grown on me .

')