The Ridiculous Opinion Thread

• Thread starter bradthelegend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wodashin

Reaction score
"There are two kinds of people in the world. People who listen to Neo-Proto-Post-Prog-Noise-Death-Tech-core, and people who should kill themselves."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I love Geddy Lee, but I can't stand Dream Theaters vocalist. Weird too considering they have a similar sound, probably has to do with lyrical content. :shrug:

I personally don't think that Geddy Lee and James LaBrie sound very much alike. At all. They both can sing high notes, but their voices are different, and also the way they sing is quite different.

Here's a ridiculous opinion:
"Unless you're playing all 8 strings all the time you should just be playing a baritone 6".

Yeah, maybe that's exaggerated, but I can't count the number of times people say 'I hate it when people buy 8 strings and only use the bottom 3 strings. They should just play a downtuned/baritone 6.' Ok, by that logic, shouldn't I just get a 3 string guitar? What if I want to use the high strings notes for some atmosphere type stuff on a different song? What if I simply want to keep my hand in the same place on the neck while making large jumps between notes instead of having to move my hand all over the place? If a song is like 98% bottom string and then I play a 5 second mini guitar solo on the high strings, is it finally justified that I bought an 8 string guitar? It's not like everyone knows exactly what they're going to be writing when they buy a guitar.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
- People who hate breakdowns and then when you ask them to play some basi techish August Burns Red chug pattern they can't mute properly on the rests that come quite quick, they have a horrible scratchy palm mute sound, they can't play in time against the drums, over the bar etc, they pick like a pussy. Seriously, ask any anti-core snob to play something like a veil of maya breakdown and watch them fail.

Your other points I can agree to, but a person doesn't have to justify their hatred of breakdowns by being able to play one... :scratch:

Reaction score
"You dont need a 7 for low range, keep it old school doom and tune down"
"wtf is djent"
Can you build me a 7? " no, i dont like 7's"

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
- People who don't think phrasing matters and have sour as fyenk vibrato and don't know there is more than 1 way to play a note
- On the opposite side blues players who are anti anything that isn't the minor pentatonic flat 5

- People who hate breakdowns and then when you ask them to play some basi techish August Burns Red chug pattern they can't mute properly on the rests that come quite quick, they have a horrible scratchy palm mute sound, they can't play in time against the drums, over the bar etc, they pick like a pussy. Seriously, ask any anti-core snob to play something like a veil of maya breakdown and watch them fail.

There was fast picking before metalcore... it was called thrash. Read a book brah

strad24

Reaction score
Then there's an article I was reading on how to improve your technique claiming "good guitarists continually change their settings on their toggle switch, volume, and tone controls throughout their solos." :squint:

Ha ha yeah that's why EVH removed all but the volume knob and at one point didn't even have that. And Warren DiMartini had no toggle or knobs of any kind for a while. Can't remember but I think his signature Charvel has none.

Too bad those guys have to "improve their technique"...:wallbash:

Great thread!

strad24

Reaction score
Ha ha yeah that's why EVH removed all but the volume knob and at one point didn't even have that. And Warren DiMartini had no toggle or knobs of any kind for a while. Can't remember but I think his signature Charvel has none.

Too bad those guys have to "improve their technique"...:wallbash:

Great thread!

Also my favorite stupid opinions are that "24 fret guitars suck" and that "only tube amps sound good".

Yeah I like the sound of a great tube amp but I love what the Axe FX II can do through a solid state PA too...and it's THE PLAYING. Bad player on great tube amp sounds like crap. Great player on a Fractal sounds...great:realmad:!

Govan Emmanuel

Reaction score
'Blues is easy, it is just simple pentatonic wanking'

A lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan's songs like Lenny and Texas Flood are just as hard as Veil of Maya's It's Not Safe To Swim Today or Petrucci's Under a Glass Moon.

Not in terms of speed and technicality, but it’s all to do with timing, sense of dynamic (picking attack, vibrato), feel (duh)

It’s more 'free', less 'mathematical' and pattern-based

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Trems don't do vibrato, they do tremolo.

denzel.gif

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
- People who don't think phrasing matters and have sour as fyenk vibrato and don't know there is more than 1 way to play a note
- On the opposite side blues players who are anti anything that isn't the minor pentatonic flat 5

This post is delicious.

Reaction score
"My dad raised me on Skynyrd and ACDC, was severely strict on limiting my social life, and passed his close-mindedness down to me. So, that automatically means that any music that includes breakdowns, formulas that aren't included in music from the 60's and 70's, and anything that is fun to listen to is unlistenable trash and ANY people who listen to ANY of it are poseurs and low-lifes."

:rolleyes:

PS: I love AC/DC and occasional Skynyrd, but I've come across too many assholes like this.

Addison90

Reaction score
"Anyone that plays an instrument can play jazz, it's JUST more technical" -glorious youtube comment

')