The Ridiculous Opinion Thread

• Thread starter bradthelegend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
.... Black Sabbath,

Got nothing to do with me in the year 2013.

I don't care what they influenced before I started listening...

Thorough. Modern.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
"Misha Mansoor will be remembered as the Beethoven of our generation, in terms of composition and musical consideration"

Top youtube comment on an instructional vid where he also says "it's a lydorian scale...or something".

F*ck. Me.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
"Wow a string thicker than a .56!?"

"Lol is that a bass string on your guitar?"

Not that those are really opinions per-say but still.

nicktao

Reaction score
"Misha Mansoor will be remembered as the Beethoven of our generation, in terms of composition and musical consideration"

Top youtube on an instructional vid where he also says "it's a lydorian scale...or something".

F*ck. Me.

Obviously not Beethoven but have you actually sat down and listened to his songs? He's easily one of the best composers in the metal genre. All New Materials, LAAC, Buttersnips, Ji, Racecar, TGMBC, Froggin Bullfish, and Mile Zero.

These songs don't do anything for ya? I'm guessing it's probably because so many people hopped up on the Misha bandwagon, but just because he's popular doesn't mean it's not some of the best modern metal ever.

Theory is important, but it isn't everything.

Krullnar

Reaction score
Obviously not Beethoven but have you actually sat down and listened to his songs? He's easily one of the best composers in the metal genre. All New Materials, LAAC, Buttersnips, Ji, Racecar, TGMBC, Froggin Bullfish, and Mile Zero.

These songs don't do anything for ya? I'm guessing it's probably because so many people hopped up on the Misha bandwagon, but just because he's popular doesn't mean it's not some of the best modern metal ever.

As great as he is, Ever Forthright is on another level. That album, man... it's disgusting. Every song is like an album's worth of arranging, refining and practicing. And it's all god tier.

Addison90

Reaction score
"i love prog/jazz/fusion/metal music like Ever Forthright, Animals as Leaders. Wait, you don't like it?? i think you should learn some music theory" -coming fom someone who don't even know who Charlie Parker or Oscar Peterson were

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
"i love prog/jazz/fusion/metal music like Ever Forthright, Animals as Leaders. Wait, you don't like it?? i think you should learn some music theory" -coming fom someone who don't even know who Charlie Parker or Oscar Peterson were

I dislike that mentality as much as I dislike the "music theory is a limitation" sentiment. They're both saying the same thing: "I'm better than 'those' guys."

My contributions have already been taken earlier in the thread...just wanted get that off my chest. :lol:

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
.... Black Sabbath,

Got nothing to do with me in the year 2013.

I don't care what they influenced before I started listening...

Thorough. Modern.
While I like some of the old Black Sabbath stuff I feel this way about so many bands mostly Led Zeppelin. I know they influenced a lot of things but I can't for the life of me enjoy listening to them.

Also, Thorough. Modern. is a fantastic song on an amazing album.

Murmel

Reaction score
Your other points I can agree to, but a person doesn't have to justify their hatred of breakdowns by being able to play one... :scratch:

It's like saying that you can't justify not liking jazz if you can't play it.

O'boy, looks like a fwerking ton of musicians got some justifying to do... :lol:

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score

Honestly, I still don't think he's even close to, say Paul Waggoner or Per Nilsson in modern metal, honestly I don't see what he does that others don't do a lot better. And the ambient, videogame-loading music (sounds a lot like old Playstation FF games?) stuff in the middle of songs he does is really jarring after a while too. I agree completely that theory is not the be-all and end-all of playing an instrument though.

Usually I would have no problem with the dude but that youtube comment made me grit my teeth! :lol:

Reaction score
"He's easily one of the best composers in the metal genre."

"...doesn't mean it's not some of the best modern metal ever."

Metal is too broad to make statements like that and consider them facts. Too subjective, as all artforms are.

I like Misha's writing and playing, but saying "one of the best in the metal genre" would be weird because there's too many styles, variations, opinions, and subgenres. Is he one of the best death metal composers? Or grindcore composers? Speed/thrash metal composers? All depends on the listener, man.

I think he writes good music, but I'd think that saying "He's been a huge influence and has made pivotal contributions to the djent/groove and progressive metal communities." would sound a little more objective and less "Bulb is the best because I like him."

Not trying to be a douche, bud. It'd be like saying "Apple pie is easily one of the best foods in the dessert category. Have you tasted it? It's so good. You probably don't like it because it's popular. Just 'cause it's popular doesn't mean it's not one of the best desserts ever."

PS: I f*cking love apple pie.

Reaction score
Not really music related, but back when I was still attending college, a 50's-something guy was having a cig next to me and some lady nearby was gawking at my guages and asked why I had them. This dude then says "Ahh, whaddya think? It's a fad he's doing because it's cool."

Meanwhile, he's got acid wash jeans, a Bob-Saget-from-the-old-episodes-of-Full-House style mullet, and a Phillies jacket.

I felt like saying "N*gga, shutcho ass up. Lemme guess, popular 80's culture and the most worshipped baseball team in South Jersey had no influence on your attire and style? You really followed the path less traveled by and are very unique, bud." :rolleyes:

Reaction score
When did plugs start being called gauges? A gauge is a unit of measurement of the plug.

Seriously? lol Slang, bud. Slang.

I've heard them called gauges since I was 14. I'm 22 now. I call them gauges, plugs, jawns, eyelets, etc.

Gauge is a relative, slang term referring to the plug itself, but specifically refers to the measurement. Pretty commonly used term, man.

Come on, you can't be that old. :lol:

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I'm 31. I've heard it said here and there and it always struck me as odd. I've had 9/16th plugs forever, so I never really have a reason to talk about them. I worked in a tattoo shop as counter help when I was 18 and it was always a clear delineation between a piece of jewelry and the gauge, or metric, of it's size. It's interesting how language morphs.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
kanye-taylor-swift.jpg

"Imma let ya finish, but apple pie had the best flavor of all time!"

Not comparing this situation to that, merely pointing out what I thought of on reading it. :lol:

')