The Ridiculous Opinion Thread

• Thread starter bradthelegend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
That Vildhjarta is a good band, with good tone, and songwriting

Whatever they do with compression in post eq is painful to my ears. Might sound alright in studio speakers, but it is horrendous in anything else.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ridiculous orrrrrr realistic? :lol:

Certainly not realistic given all the artists who have turned a profit doing what they love. Just because you, or everyone, can't do it doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

Not all lawyers are rich, not all doctors are driving a Benz, and not all musicians make a decent living playing music. That doesn't mean they can't, or as the argument I've heard: they "shouldn't".

I'm not arguing this though, believe what you want. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink. :yesway:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Totally forgot, piggybacking off my previous comment, I overheard this kid talking at Guitar Center a couple weeks back. He was maybe seventeen. I think he was playing the "I Can't Write a Rhythm that Doesn't Sound Broken to Pieces" song.

Actual quote (as I remember it), as he diddled an 8 string, snickering to his buddy sitting beside him:

"Djent will last way longer than deathcore. It's the only good metal to come around in the last thirty years."

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
"Led Zeppelin/Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/The Beatles/Whoever suck and their recordings sound like ass."

I don't give a flying frack who you are...you may not LIKE those bands but they do NOT suck. Just because they don't play riffs in 41/4 time (in triplets) at 340bpm with blast beats and metal growls, that doesn't mean they're not badass and even HEAVY in their own right. Also pro-tools hadn't been invented yet. Nor had drum sample replacement or the Axe-FX...so everything is REAL and played by HUMANS, not sampled, punched in, quantized, and notched to within an inch of its life.

To me When The Levee Breaks is still one of the heaviest songs ever....and I listen to Meshuggah like the rest of us.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Brutality is the point of metal.

"Progressive" is synonymous with "technical".

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
What's wrong with their songwriting? :ugh:

I'd break it down for you, but I'd have to listen to the album again and I can't even make it through two songs. the mix is too insanely bad.

from what i can remember it was just generic djent.. choppy, droning riffs with some clean layers. no hooks at all. a little more dissonant than usual, maybe

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I always thought they had a really interesting and unique approach to both rhythm and melody and that's why I like them. Like the riffs in Shadow, or Masstadens Nationalsang and the end of All These Feelings.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
"You need to do X or you're not a legitimate guitarist"

X can be anything. Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Right, there's fucking tons of stupid opinions I have problems with. For TL;DR, look at the bold bits, and be aware that they're wrong :p Here goes:

'Tone is all in the mids/More Mids!/Scooping sucks/Mids suck!/Turn your gain down/turn your gain up!'

The same reason why it's really fucking stupid to say 'Hey, if you want that [band] tone, make sure you set your EQ like this - 10, 4, 4!' Anyone with the remotest experience of amplification will know, 3 band EQs are comparatively very limited in the grand scheme of EQ circuitry and will have the centre frequencies set differently for each different brand of amp, rendering that kind of preset information useless, unless you're using exactly the same rig.

I think the mids argument is one that particularly pisses me off because of:
a. The above argument, EQ settings should be considered differently for each amp
b. In terms of style, ANYTHING GOES. And anything SHOULD go.

There are tons of times when, scooping the ever loving crap out of your EQ setting is absolutely spot on. Industrial metal springs to mind here. And Pantera and such. The opposite is all true. It's about context and experimentation, there's no one general answer. If people were the same about gain ('It's all about the cleans!') there's every possibility our beloved metal would never have emerged.

I think people aren't willing to admit it's fun to make your amp sound stupid, whacking random settings on full just to see what it sounds like. Music would suck without that kind of fun experimentation.

'Tone is all in the fingers!'

Doesn't take a genius to debunk this one. STYLE comes from the fingers, and how you play, which is generally becomes more distinctive as you become more accomplished, along with physical stylings like how hard you hold frets, angle you pick at, e.t.c. If you want to talk about the resonant qualities of fingers and human flesh, I highly doubt you're gonna find huge differences from one guy to the next. I can't imagine anyone seriously doing a comparative study of how different fingerprint patterns will affect tone.

'EMGs suck!/All active pickups suck!'

Devin Townsend's got some ideas about this one, and so do plenty other fine sounding guitarists.

'Digital Audio is soulless/lifeless/sounds harsh because of amplitude quantising and you can see the little steps on those graphs!/AFFECTS A DIFFERENT PART OF YOUR BRAIN'

This, I could go on for days about. Basically, if you don't recognise that digital audio is one of the most important advancements in music as a whole, you seriously need to be re-assessing your thoughts on music. It's not only given us a compact, reliable, perfectly replicable, flexible, instantaneously accessible medium with which to distribute music on, it's also provided pretty much all of us on Sevenstring with a cheap, compact and very advanced means to record with. I'm not sure how well SS.org would do as a bunch of blokes tape-trading their demos from 4-tracks. I'd much rather be sharing my stuff on Soundcloud, thank you very much.

As an electronic engineer, I can say a thing or two about how digital audio 'looks'. Most people are familiar with seeing two graphs compared side by side, where the analogue side shows a nice wavy line and the digital side shows what looks like a set of steps. Because as we all know, a DAC works by taking a number and flipping a bunch of tiny switches to make the output change voltage level, right?

What most people are a little unaware of is that the digital image in these kinds of examples is vastly out of scale. The 'steps' are the voltage levels that the DAC can produce, and can't produce levels in between. However the steps in reality are tiny. For a 32 bit DAC, it has 2^32 possible voltage levels: that's 4,294,967,296 voltage levels. Yeah. You're gonna be hard pressed to find someone who can tell the difference between the 4 billionth and 4 billionth + 1 voltage level. So these 'steps' are infact imperceptibly small. I'm sure you guys are familiar with Nyquist-Shannon frequency so I won't go into that, but digital sampling is, and has been for a very long time, far beyond the capabilities of human perception. It's just when it's used poorly it becomes obvious.

The last part of this argument comes from none other than Prince: Prince: Digital Music Has A Different Impact On Your Brain | Techdirt

Prince said:
"I personally can't stand digital music," he says. "You're getting sound in bits. It affects a different place in your brain. When you play it back, you can't feel anything. We're analogue people, not digital."

Says the guy who's been releasing albums on CDs for decades.

'Meshuggah is the most pioneering band ever!'

This is a little subjective, I admit - but the fact they've basically been rehasing 'Nothing' since 2002 (a straight decade, I would remind you), hammering the lowest string of an 8 has lost it's novelty.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Certainly not realistic given all the artists who have turned a profit doing what they love. Just because you, or everyone, can't do it doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

Not all lawyers are rich, not all doctors are driving a Benz, and not all musicians make a decent living playing music. That doesn't mean they can't, or as the argument I've heard: they "shouldn't".

I'm not arguing this though, believe what you want. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink. :yesway:

Some cornholes actually smell quite nice, I'll have you know.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
'Tone is all in the fingers!'

Doesn't take a genius to debunk this one. STYLE comes from the fingers, and how you play, which is generally becomes more distinctive as you become more accomplished, along with physical stylings like how hard you hold frets, angle you pick at, e.t.c. If you want to talk about the resonant qualities of fingers and human flesh, I highly doubt you're gonna find huge differences from one guy to the next. I can't imagine anyone seriously doing a comparative study of how different fingerprint patterns will affect tone.

I think you're kinda missing the point on this one. I've never heard someone argue that the player's physical properties is what effects this. It's that a players specific phrasing, as you mention, is a big part of their tone.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
1. Dressing metal is immature - And I'm sure judging other people by how they dress isn't. :lol:

2. Wearing whatever you feel like is metal - No, it is not. :nono:

Richie666

Reaction score
"Black Sabbath wrote every metal riff."

Or some derivative of that. I love Sabbath but that's just ridiculous.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I think you're kinda missing the point on this one. I've never heard someone argue that the player's physical properties is what effects this. It's that a players specific phrasing, as you mention, is a big part of their tone.

That's a good point. Although I'm still glad I upgraded from my old 6505+ to my AxeFx Ultra. :cool:

Latest posts

')