The Ridiculous Opinion Thread

• Thread starter bradthelegend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Everything in this thread :lol::agreed:

"It's impossible to tune a guitar with a longer scale to standard".

These are the most annoying threads ever. You can tune any Guitar with any scale length and any number of frets and any number of strings to anything you want. JUST GET THE RIGHT FUCKING STRINGS!

I haven't been here very long and I already can't count how many "Can I tune my RGD2127Z to B standard?" threads I've seen.

And so much this. Also when people say that you should get a 7 string to tune to B, implying that it has some tonal effect on the B string similar to a baritone guitar. Seen that so many times :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Stuff like

"You can't be a good guitarist if you don't like Jimi Hendrix"

"You can't be a good guitarist if you haven't learnt to play blues first"

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I don't mind it when people try to throw the "extended range is useless" argument at me, using whatever backup they can think of. All I have to do is show them videos of Tosin.

I do hate it though when people buy 7's or 8's and only use the lowest two or three strings.

Edika

Reaction score
"Music sucks now. "
"Ahhh the 90s/80s/70s/60s/etc! back when music was still good!"

Yes but this is true :D! (I kid I kid)

People thinking technical death metal is 90% blast beats and thousands of riffs sewn together without meaning and direction.

People not playing fast solos can't play and people that play fast solos have no soul (this has been covered by other members).

Music theory kills creativity and inspiration :)scratch: :wallbash: :nuts:)!

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
People who think that sevenstrings/ERGs should be used primarily for shredding and that if you're a low rhythm guy you're wasting your instrument.

People who think expensive tube amps or modelers are necessary for good metal tones. Just watch Ola Englund's videos where he plays Marshall MG15s and Fender Mustang Is direct and has better tone than 75% of Axe-FX users.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
People who think that sevenstrings/ERGs should be used primarily for shredding and that if you're a low rhythm guy you're wasting your instrument.

Steph Carpenter all up in this! The man was playing 7's before most people even knew what they were, and he's a monster guitarist!

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
The djent kids who think that all metalcore is terrible. 2 words: Killswitch Engage.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score

Man have I received some comments from people who found out I was not as good as Steve Vai when I brought an Ibby Universe to the stage. That was some 18 years ago.

Now the same thing seems to be happening with the 8 string. The guy who sold me his RGA8 told me he wasn't comfortable with playing it live, because he felt like he would create high expectations of any musicians in the audience by showing off an 8string and he felt like he should be able to meet those expectations. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't give a shit. Playing 7 or 8 strings also means you don't have to switch guitars when you want to go from standard tuning to 3 steps downtuning.

I do hate it though when people buy 7's or 8's and only use the lowest two or three strings.

HAHAHA LOL :lol: By the way, my band has no bass player because we can't find one and our other guitarist plays a 6 in B. I'll gladly take that space by playing just the top 3 strings as much as I like.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Steph Carpenter all up in this! The man was playing 7's before most people even knew what they were, and he's a monster guitarist!

Exactly. And most of the really influential bands (among non-guitar nerds at least) that have used 7s or 8s have been all about the low end rhythms.

Demiurge

Reaction score
2 of my favorites from defenders of something shitty or questionable:

"Say what you want about [shitty or questionable thing], but know this: [thing that is not considered shitty or questionable] used to be criticized a lot and now is widely accepted and liked. Ergo, [shitty or questionable thing] is certain to be widely accepted and liked."

and

"The only people who don't like [shitty or questionable thing] are close-minded jealous elitist haters. I'm not going to take any criticism seriously."

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
"My music taste is superior to yours because I listen to |insert obscure band that is totally kvlt here|"

I clicked on a link from a friend of mine who is like that, it was literally a half hour of static. I kept skipping around the song thinking "okay this is just some weird really long intro right?" nope, it was two "movements" of nothing but static. He was also super exited because it was going to be released on cassette. the band said it was "ambient harsh noise exploring the subconcious desire for isolation" :lol:

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
"(insert random guitar heroes name here) didn't need a seven string/Floyd/active pickups/modelling amp/etc so neither do I"

Also anytime I go on facebook and one of the music pages I've liked mentions the products they make for 7's/8's or anything else that isn't "normal" there's always a torrent of ridiculous opinions such as....

"Tried both 7 and 8 strings in the past....realised I was being a twat, sold them, and bought some decent guitars instead."

and.....

"Unless you are in Animals as Leaders, Meshuggah, or you play a hollow body in a particularly gifted jazz outfit, tune your 6 low and stop pretending like you need an extended scale."

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
"Unless you are in Animals as Leaders, Meshuggah, or you play a hollow body in a particularly gifted jazz outfit, tune your 6 low and stop pretending like you need an extended scale."

I hope this person meant "extended range" rather than "extended scale", because as it is that statement displays a profound ignorance of the nature of tuning low.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Advertisement of a band looking for a guitarist:

"We are not looking for a Stratocaster-player type person"

Uhm... Are you referring to Gilmour, Malmsteen, Cobain, Clapton, Sambora, Trevor Peres (Obituary), Dick Dale, SRV, John Mayer, #4 Jim Root, or Karl Sanders (Nile)?

I also hate linking types of music to the looks of a guitar. "Ooh, no, you can't play blues with that. Guitars with pointy horns are for metal."

I'd love to get a Jazzmaster or Firebird, install a Floyd and a SD Invader and play the "wrong" music with it.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Music theory kills creativity and inspiration :)scratch: :wallbash: :nuts:)!

QFT!

And it's most often said by people that can't break-out of the one or two standard pentatonic boxes they know and many times, can't even play anything original, only the covers they've practiced to death.

Ray

')