The RockDoctors is live!!! Try it FREE!

• Thread starter ben
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The RockDoctors & The American RockStar Academy are up and running in the Beta Testing stage!!!

What does that mean to you??

It means that you can try it out 100% FREE!!!!

The RockDoctors

Please, check out the site and let me know what you think!!

Mingle with and learn from real rock stars...members of Shadows Fall, Megadeth, Ra, Five Finger Death Punch, Fates Warning...and many others.

The RockDoctors

l_b214173da89941a287a03762559bc625.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The snakes logo worked better when the site was called RockDoctors. Now it makes a lot less sense.

Nice looking site, but its purpose is not immediately apparent. Is it a site to get guitar lessons? To promote one's band? To get advice on the industry? Music news? All of the above?

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The snakes logo worked better when the site was called RockDoctors. Now it makes a lot less sense.

Nice looking site, but its purpose is not immediately apparent. Is it a site to get guitar lessons? To promote one's band? To get advice on the industry? Music news? All of the above?

It's an all-purpose business site for rock musicians, from what I gather. Also, about the logo - it's kinda hard to make out over the black background, too.

It's a cool idea and one that could really take off if the right people come on board - I'm not saying that the people you have right now aren't qualified, just that there's not a lot of instantly recognisable names at the moment, as far as the layman is concerned. Here are a couple of suggestions based on my initial impressions (without an account, mind you):

*The first thing I thought when the site loaded was "blogspot". The site layout is functional and it's not hideous or anything but it really does look like something someone could knock up for free on a blog. Something as simple as non-standard fonts or whatever would make it look more polished and therefore more "genuine" at a glance. Someone with an eye for that stuff could elaborate better than I could, I'm sure.

*Too much of the current content is members-only. Sure, accounts are free, but it wouldn't even let me look at the profiles of contributors/staff without one - if I don't know what the site is offering then why would I bother? Locking away the lessons/articles/etc makes sense but there's stuff that would be more useful as unlocked content - staff profiles, maybe a couple of abridged previews lessons/articles here and there.

*Since you're going for the industry angle I strongly suggest adding a message board or something similar that will allow members to network/advertise/etc and maybe even talk informally with contributors/staff. Tons of industry-sprecific sites feature them as a way to allow people to throw up resumes, advertise job positions/opportunities, promote a service, that sorta thing. I have a VG backtround so the first one that springs to mind is Gamasutra - click on the "Jobs/Resumes" and "Contractors" tabs at the top for an example of what I mean. I guarantee it'll be a massive hook for the site once you establish some sort of rep.

I hope I don't sound too nitpicky or negative as I really think this is a cool idea and I hope it does well.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Awesome feedback guys! Thanks.

DDDorian, I think I'll be taking your advice on some of the things you were talking about. Thanks far taking the time to get in depth bro!

We've got some fairly big names right out of the box. Jon Donais - Shadows Fall (as well Matt, Jason & Paul from SF), David Ellefson - Megadeth, Mike Mangini - Vai's drummer/played w everybody & some others....
Believe me I would love to track down Eddie Van Halen & Jimmy Page...haha. Maybe someday.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, glad I could help:yesway: Yeah, I recognised some of the Shadows Fall guys as well as Dave Ellefson but I couldn't find out who the others were without an account, but being alsongside names like those made me assume they know their shit:yesway: Some people won't even give you the five seconds it takes to sign up unless they know exactly what they're getting is all.

EDIT: now that I've signed up I see the classifieds section and all the other stuff, shoulda checked before I mouthed off:lol: Again, my advice would be to make that stuff visible to people without an account - not the actual content, just the fact that those areas of the site exist and are there if they sign up.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually changed it so you can see the instructors & advisers without logging in. Good advice there. You are right on making the things like classifieds, the library & what not visible w/o logging in, but having to login to view the actual content...i'll have to mess around with that a bit.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm still confused as to what the site's core purpose is.

:scratch:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you I'd post a big, easily read but brief summary of the website, right on the front page, so people can immediately see what the site does. Is it an instructional site, networking site etc.? Or all of them? A brief summary, maybe just a few lines, is what I was looking around for and couldn't find.

ben

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If I were you I'd post a big, easily read but brief summary of the website, right on the front page, so people can immediately see what the site does. Is it an instructional site, networking site etc.? Or all of them? A brief summary, maybe just a few lines, is what I was looking around for and couldn't find.

Great idea...I'm actually working on that. I'll have something like that up tomorrow hopefully! Get something text based to start, but it'd be cool to have a slick video. We've got a video guy on board that has done a lot of killer things..big time movies that you have seen...music stuff too, an alter bridge video, he worked on U2's 3D movie...freekin awesome. Hopefully I can get him to make us a slick little tutorial for the site.

You guys rock. :shred: I really really do appreciate the feedback..It's helping out a lot.

')