The Rocktron Preamps Thread

kherman

Reaction score
Still have my Piranha!

PDR_0042.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
just got a rocktron pro gap!

haven't plugged it in yet.

how can i slave the power section of my mesa triple to use this preamp with it?

fudgeman

Reaction score
I really hope I'm not going to annoy anyone by reviving this thread but I couldnt keep quiet. New member here. I used to own a chameleon. liked it but could NOT get a good moderate overdrive breakup sound a la SRV. thats why I got rid of it. I wanted that sound among others but that sound in particular is so FREAKING expressive. anyway, after I quit gigging (east coast only), I got rid of my chameleon and digitech DSP 2101. pretty much got rid of everything. sold my rack and all components. how many times have I sold stuff and regretted it? well, I had a 69 Fender super Reverb I bought for $400 and sold a year later for $350 and thought I struck a GREAT deal. lol sigh....

After getting married (another sigh.....) I yearned for something so I bought the Rocktron Taboo Artist. kinda like a chameleon in a floor-only-unit. I still have it and have managed to kinda get an SRV tone. forget using the overdrive distortion. I EQ'd the shit out of the digital distortion and pulled the gain back and have managed, with a great sounding but cheapo guitar, to get a pretty darned good SRV sound but its difficult to play and doesnt feel great. So, I then JUST bought a Sansamp ps1 and holy crap can I get a good SRV tone. I still really want an all-in-one unit so I read the comments about the Prophesy with great interest.

I also wanted to state my agreement with the guy who said he loved/hated rocktron. to me, the sounds are thin even though they can sound hardcore for the more intense distortions but rich is never a word I would use to describe rocktron stuff. My roland GP-8 sounded very rich and warm and thick (but definitely no SRV sound). so, my quest is to get SRV with effects. its seems SRV tone is most definitely the hardest to get. a good clean and slightly broken up sound are the achilles heel of most processors. My question to you folks is this: one would think the tubes in the Prophesy and Voodu Valve would really help get that SRV sound. Hell, the Prophesy even has one of its gain stages called Texas Blues. how much more SRV-targeted can you get?

So, does the Prophesy sound thicker than previous Rocktron products? does the texas blues amp option sound texas bluesy? My fear is that the Rocktron thinness just would never work with that sound in a million years no matter what but I cant play one at the GC near me sooooo........... dats why I joined here. (btw, the psa-1 sounds fantastic but I'm having trouble dialing out the fizz in the heavier distortion sounds - thats why I'm still looking. so #$%^**@ ing close!!!! maybe a more detailed EQ can help.

So, Voodu valve or Prophesy owners? texas blues sound any good?

(it may not be called texas blues but its called Texas something)

thanks!!!

alex

windraiders

Reaction score
Hey there!

Not even gonna bother checking how innactive this thread is, but I need to ask you.
Just got my piranha today (first rocktron product ever for me), got it second hand so... no manual.
Downloaded the manual from rocktron... No factory presets list/description? Is this right or am I missing something?

Any fellow owners have the original manual? if so did it come with a list of the presets (I know the marshall jmp-1 has it)

Haven't had much time to play with it yet, so I'll get back to you after I can develop an informed oppinion... but judging it before-hand... if it is good enough for Glenn and KK, who am I to challenge them?

Cheers, J.

Vamo

Reaction score
I once found a user generated list describing the 99 presets a few years ago when I got mine (7year-ish). But I couldn't find it anymore, sorry.

But, its really just 99 presets filled with random stuff. Very bassy, muddy distortion next to a sparkly clean, for example. Just go through them and listen if you want to base your sound on one.
And since you've probably got it used, like me, there is no knowing if those are the presets from the former owner(s) anyway.
After all those years I only have made 30 presets for my own, sorted in banks of 10, for better midi access. Its still fun to browse through the rest from time to time.

Have fun dialing in your tone :cool:

windraiders

Reaction score
I once found a user generated list describing the 99 presets a few years ago when I got mine (7year-ish). But I couldn't find it anymore, sorry.

But, its really just 99 presets filled with random stuff. Very bassy, muddy distortion next to a sparkly clean, for example. Just go through them and listen if you want to base your sound on one.
And since you've probably got it used, like me, there is no knowing if those are the presets from the former owner(s) anyway.
After all those years I only have made 30 presets for my own, sorted in banks of 10, for better midi access. Its still fun to browse through the rest from time to time.

Have fun dialing in your tone :cool:

Thanks a lot for the feedback Vamo.

Yup, I started fiddling with it today and could not make out any logical arrangement of the patches, just puzzled that the documentation for it does not document the patches (even a very cheap zoom pedal board I have, does that), also puzzled that there are no free banks to place your own presets, but well... I guess that's how they did things in rocktron back in the day (not really a critic though it may sound like one).

You're right about getting it second hand, but anyway there is a way to retrieve the factory presets... I suppose I'll hold on 'till I get some midi connectivity to get rid of the presets I got it with (in case they are different and better than the factory ones), and also before saving my own (I'll have to recourse to pen and paper for the time being).

Anyway, I keep the question open, if anyone else came upon the bloody list, please post a link to it, I'll be much obliged.

Rock on!
J.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Good luck dude, rocktron makes some really gnarly and very, VERY underrated gear! I LOVE my chameleon dude. I hope you find the manual soon. If anything else, contact Jim at Rocktron, he's helped me out countless times and usually gets back to me within the same day.:wavey:

skysc

Reaction score
Agree that these old preamps are generally very good for the price you pay.

my Voodu valve sound better than all the modeler ive had . these unit cost 1099 $ back in the 90's ( 799 $ for the chameleon) .. now you can find one for 150-200 ).

people just on the latest trend of modeling . truth is good tones is good tones no matter what produce it .

the voodu valve seem to have a couple of version .

- VV witchdoctor ( the one with the witchdoctor logo .. made in u.s.a ) the one that people say sound the best .

- VV Online Made in USA . i think these are the first online version and were still made in u.s.a . i cant compare them to the witchdoctor model but i guess being mad ein usa .. they must sound the same .

- VV online Made in R.O.K ( Republic of KOREA ) for Rocktron...

VV online tube series ( the newer model ) still mad ein korea i think .

i havent try them all .. but ive had the VV online Mad ein R.O.K and was very pleased by it .

Im getting a VV online made in usa next week ( bought it for 180 $ ) .

LOVE THIS PREAMP .

GAMMOTH

Death Metal Brazil
Reaction score
Hey!

It is great to know that the Piranha still is mentioned here and there. I always have been asked to publish some Piranha's records since I bought an used one 15 years ago. In fact, I also miss some other recordings using the Piranha!!! If you want to check out Piranha's tone in studio, You can hear/download it here.

I used the following chain:
Gibson Flying V (drop B-tuned) with the 500T stock pickup -> Piranha -> 100W power amp with EL34s from the '70s -> 4x12" old Eminence speakers.

Caro Data Vermibus has just two guitars in stereo but Crumbled Existence we overdubbed to have a 4-guitars "wall-of-sound". I can tell you that these old Eminence speakers always sounded too deep and dark. I recently changed for better ones, with much more punch and a in-your-face tone. It is sounding much more sparse and richer now.

Hope it could be useful to someone!

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey!

It is great to know that the Piranha still is mentioned here and there. I always have been asked to publish some Piranha's records since I bought an used one 15 years ago. In fact, I also miss some other recordings using the Piranha!!! If you want to check out Piranha's tone in studio, You can hear/download it here.

I used the following chain:
Gibson Flying V (drop B-tuned) with the 500T stock pickup -> Piranha -> 100W power amp with EL34s from the '70s -> 4x12" old Eminence speakers.

Caro Data Vermibus has just two guitars in stereo but Crumbled Existence we overdubbed to have a 4-guitars "wall-of-sound". I can tell you that these old Eminence speakers always sounded too deep and dark. I recently changed for better ones, with much more punch and a in-your-face tone. It is sounding much more sparse and richer now.

Hope it could be useful to someone!

Piranhas are actually really hard to find now. They were awesome units, I wish Rocktron would re-issue them, I'd be the first to snag a new one.

')