The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

minusthemonkey

Reaction score
here's the version with vocals by Sarah Brightman (I have this CD at home (I'm kind of an opera fan))

Gotta +1 that. Or +4, or something. I have more versions of that song on my iTunes than is likely healthy. Just love the melody.

Speaking of melody, it's an instrumental but it's a damn sad instrumental:

Death, "Voice of the Soul"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enselmis

Reaction score
This song makes me tear up, every time.

Sleep by Eric Whitacre is also very profound, although not quite as sad.

At about 4:04~ just makes me shiver.

Reaction score
"Strawberry Woman" from Gershwin's Porgy and Bess, recorded by the Houston Grand Opera. ONLY that particular rendition. I don't know why it brought me to tears, it's just a woman passing out strawberries. :lol: OK, I do know why it brought me to tears, but I don't wanna ruin it for anyone. Remember though, it's gotta be that particular recording. Gershwin gave the singers some freedom, and so they all do different things with the song. This particular rendition is heart-wrenching.

It does help to listen to at least some of the opera that comes before it, so you can get into it. I'm sure you'll recognize "Summertime." ;)

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
THIS. This song has reduced me to tears... Words cannot describe how sad and beautiful this song is...

Also,

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
3 Libras - A Perfect Circle, played at the funeral of my best friend from high school after he committed suicide... "eyes of a fallen angel, eyes of a tragedy... you don't, you don't, you don't... see me" I sing the shit out of that song when it comes on, and have NEVER been able to make it through that part without tears.

Untitled 1 and Untitled 4 from the () album by Sigur Ros. No idea what the lyrics are about, but it doesn't matter when the melody is so beautifully melancholy.

Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs - Oceansize. The riff after the intro buildup is what I imagine hearing when I die.

t o k u g a w a

Reaction score

This is one of my favorite songs, ever. It is so sad to me, yet it is uplifting at times. Anyone else get uplifting/sad from it?

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of old Smashing Pumpkins stuff, and Machina was my favorite album ever till AAL hit. This song is about how people try to hold on to each other, but we all will eventually part one way or another. not an original theme, but if the video doesnt get to you you have no heart :lol:

the red rocket

Reaction score
I was reading an article in Bizarre magazine about sad songs and there is apparently a song that's so sad it's banned from UK airplay as when it's been played previously people have commited suicide and odd things have happened, I'm not sure what it's called but it's an old song as the bans been on for 50 years or so.

its gloomy sunday

Mexi

Reaction score
el testamento d'amelia or recuerdos de l'alhambra by francisco tarrega

This is one of my favorite songs, ever. It is so sad to me, yet it is uplifting at times. Anyone else get uplifting/sad from it?

this too. theres alot of really good ambient out there that just makes me want to cry

Edika

Reaction score
I am sure there are sadder songs but for now these songs really get to me:

Pain of Salvation - Ashes
Pain of Salvation - Undertow
Pink Floyd - High Hopes
Hypocrisy - Paled Empty Sphere
Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
Tuxedomoon- The Ghost Sonata

For some reason the POS songs and especially Undertow really messes me up. Also the solo in High Hopes is just perfect!! Very emotional!

DanielKRego

Reaction score

This came to mind immediately. This is from their most recent album, Night Is The New Day.

You need to read the lyrics along with the song to really feel the effect. The song is supposedly about the vocalist losing his brother. The song is a sort of duet, with the vocalist playing himself, and guest vocalist Krister Linder playing the deceased brother.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Im a huge fan of old Smashing Pumpkins stuff, and Machina was my favorite album ever till AAL hit. This song is about how people try to hold on to each other, but we all will eventually part one way or another. not an original theme, but if the video doesnt get to you you have no heart :lol:

+1 on this song.

The Pumpkins were my favorite band growing up. Machina came out around the time I was graduating from high school and starting college and, of course, the Pumpkins were "breaking up."

There was always a kind of childlike wistfulness in their songs, and there's such a sad finality in a lot of the songs on that album- coupling that with an effective end to my own childhood so to speak... just kind of resonates.

Voodoo Turkey

Reaction score
I know this thread hasn't been used for a couple of months now but I just wanted to share these few songs with everyone as I'm feeling kinda sad at the moment.. I've been listening to these a lot over the years and i'll admit tears have been shed, each one has a very special meaning to me and i'll always consider them to be very important to me..

This last one really gets to me, the lyrics are in Spanish and it is from the viewpoint of someone who has died speaking about their lover that has been left behind.. Everytime I hear the last line of the chorus it just hits me like a sledgehammer.. roughly translates as "and now that I'm no longer with you, I will take care of you from here." Just something about that line makes me think about everyone I've lost over the years...

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Cold's "A Different Kind of Pain" is extremely depressing to me. Not just the lyrics, but the music itself. Most people I know that have heard it feel the same way.

For me though, I can't even listen to it unless I'm in a REALLY good mood. One of those "memories" songs, ya know?

It's a genuine song too. I've talked to Scooter many many times, and that dude really is THAT depressed and fucked up all the time.

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
Definitely a lot of stuff by Jose Gonzalez... the man's music just oozes emotion.

Also, oddly enough this classic makes me sad too:

Oh, and probably the most profound song/song that makes me feel the most to date is:

As well as any other Bon Iver music... Justin Vernon's heart must be a black hole.

OH, and also a lot of ballads by Chopin. But this one in particular paired with the scene in the movie. You can just feel the man's pain, and also Chopin's.

And there's always Bach's Chaconne.. which, when performed right, makes me think of the pain JSB (and any others) must have felt when they lose their significant other.
Here's John William's brilliant interpretation.

God, there's too many!

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
this song hit me like a ton of bricks when i first heard it.
its not sad per say, but it makes you realize alot of things...
its about your friends fucking you over.

its not about girls, its not whiny, its just amazing how cathartic listening to this song is for me. its like a pat on the back, "we've been there too"

here are the lyrics:

How many times have I noticed that our eyes hardly ever meet?
From your judgment seat I can feel the anger for my very being.
Fill me in on when you became such a big part of my life
that I should bother with all your lies designed to bring me down.
Wrong again. Don't depend on any reaction again.

I remember the icy walls that shot up from no where.
And I can see every lie that you've ever told yourself.
You bleed me dry, and I don't ask why
but I'm left with the dust.
Juda's kiss, I dismiss, thank you all for this. I am unjudged, I am..

Wait again... I'm not through with the screaming.
I contend that you've got nothing better to do...

Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your shame?

I can see every light inside your brain
go on every time that I walk by for nods and whispers.
Your comfort in my suffering is no longer disturbing.
I'm lost beyond your petty stopwatch in life's real time, life's real...

Wait again... I'm not through with the screaming.
And I contend that you've got nothing better to do.

Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your shame?

Don't get up...
I was only leaving the room.
When the door of your judgment swings back around again,
maybe I'll stop to watch your act,
and I'll go on my way...

I've seen quite enough of too many childish games.
I'm ashamed of every moment that I ever gave them the time of day.

All the worst of enemies
are somehow always
friends that used to be.

')