The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For me there is no such thing like a saddest song. Of course there is a certain aspect to it because it has a sad melody or sad lyrics. But what it makes it ultimately sad to me is because it brings back memories to my mind of people and good times that have passed or that I miss.

For me 2 of those songs are:

Insomnium - Lay of autumn

Within Temptation - Memories

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
These are the two songs that always get me. Always. Pretty shocked that noone seems to know them:

This one is a bit like "The Year Summer Ended In June" by Misery Signals; both in sounds and context:

And this one is just a classic:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
First two that came to mind were
Tear In Heaven
Nutshell

One is desperately moving because it has a father trying to reassure himself that even though he worries his son wouldn't recognise him if they met in the afterlife, crushing in itself, there would be a kind of peace in their reconciliation, possibly no regret, or remorse, precisely because they wouldn't recognise each other and there could be no recrimination, just peace.

The other is the sound of hopelessness, despair, and it's a track with a single rotating chord cycle, not especially composed, no time wondering what note goes where to what effect, except in that gorgeous restrainted/ emotionally screaming cantrell solo, just a progression and a singer in the utter depths of a quandry, I never felt like there was any solution to the kind of pain that was coming off him in that song, if it wasn't about his private life or misdirection in life, it could just as easily be about something else, he sounds totally lost.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but the Adagio of Bruckner's 7th:

Sikthness

Reaction score
TMV - Televators (has a huge sentimental factor for me)
Down - Lies
Marilyn Manson - Dissassociative

mithologian

Reaction score
The first time I heard the part at 4:40, I dont know what took over. To this day It still makes me feel an ovewhelming sadness.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score

Especially in Donnie Darko, the way they did it, the way they showed his death and its effect, I will admit I shed more than a few tears, that movie really touched me, and so does this song.

')