The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
For some reason, "Chill" by Apartment 26 gets me.

It was an unreleased song.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Very interesting thread!

I'd go for Sigur Rós' "Ára Bátur" from their latest album, as well as "Untitled #1", from their album "( )" (followed shortly by anything on that album).

Also, "Friend of the Night", by Mogwai; and the opening track from "The Fountain" soundtrack.

code_red

Reaction score
Me and a Gun- Tori Amos
Right Where it Belongs- NIN
The Show Must Go On- Queen

Ill

Reaction score
The Winner Takes It All - ABBA

:p

But really, probably The Dead Flag Blues by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. The quote throughout the song made me feel ill when I first heard it, proper felt down after a first listen. Also, like the guy said in one of the first posts, anything by Leonard Cohen.

"The car is on fire and theres no driver at the wheel/and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides/and a dark wind blows..."

Yeah, that song perfectly embodies the end of civilization; its like some kind of awful, dooming hypertension.

Secretly one of the greatest bands of our age.

But I would have to say "Frysta" by Sigur Ros is more depressing.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
"A Different Kind of Pain" by Cold.

If you just got out of a relationship, and you by no means wanted it to end, don't listen to that song. I thought one of my old friends was gonna kill himself because of that song.

However, I do enjoy the song. Very calming.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anything by My Dying Bride, who rule. Celtic Frost and Draconian are pretty sad too. As for rock stuff, pretty much anything off the first two VAST albums.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Jason Becker's "Altitudes" still strikes a pretty big chord with me, and "Breath of Gloria" by Suspyre is pretty saddening. Can't think of many others that weren't already mentioned earlier.

Axel

Reaction score
Nice to see Samuel Barber and Pain of Salvation mentioned.
Here are some of the ones I like:

I'm a sucker for sad songs.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Porcupine Tree - Feel So Low (this is my "breakup" song)

Opeth - Isolation Years (this one is incredibly bleak sounding)

Emiliana Torrini - Gollum's Song (so beautiful, but incredibly sorrowful)

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
-1 by Mudvayne
Hollow Life by Korn
Kill You by Korn and a whole bunch of other korn songs.
Timeless as aforementioned is an awesong

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I'm really surprised noone has mentioned this guy. His voice is the king of melancholy. I find his music to be the most deeply moving thing I've come across in the last 5 years. Video was done by a fan of his and the audio is live but you'd never know. The album is absolutely stunning. Completely disarms me and chills me to the bone every time

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I've *never* cared for Thom Yorke. I suppose that we all have our different views of melancholy, but I always find his voice (on "The Eraser," that is (his early Radiohead work was pretty good)) to be droning, whiny and largely tuneless. To each, their own.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I've *never* cared for Thom Yorke. I suppose that we all have our different views of melancholy, but I always find his voice (on "The Eraser," that is (his early Radiohead work was pretty good)) to be droning, whiny and largely tuneless. To each, their own.

Wow. Yeah man we all have different tastes thats for damn sure. And yet Porcupine Tree moves us both.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah man we all have different tastes thats for damn sure

IMO, he *really* excelled on songs like "High and Dry," "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" and "Fake Plastic Trees." Anything after those songs tends to annoy me, but I can still enjoy those immensely. :metal:

')