The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
mmm.. I always found that one soothing. "The Great Beyond" fucks me up, though. (In a good way -- I love it, but still really sad.)

Not so much in a personal sense, but in a broad sense, I think Billie Holliday's "Gloomy Sunday" (her version of the Hungarian Suicide Song) both musically and lyrically is one of the saddest songs ever written/performed.

On a more personal tip, for some stupid reason that I can't really justify, Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" usually chokes me up a little. It's not the lyrics at all, really. I think it's just a nostalgic thing, reminding me of what was happening in my life when I used to listen to that album, but because of the sad tone of the music the memories it conjures tend to be the sad ones.

The great beyond a warm place and hurt are just incredibly deeply moving pieces of music. So grateful for such beauty

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alex103188

Reaction score
"Embedding disabled by request" :noplease:

Glosili by Sigur Ros.

The music video of it sure helps, but the buildup gets me everytime!

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I don't think that it gets much more emotional than this.

PS - Have that video background as a poster in my bedroom. :lol:

Reaction score
Nice lists guys.

I suggest listen to, if not yet heard

9 crimes, I remember- damien rice
How to dissapear completely- radiohead
The burden is mine... alone- Green carnation
Desperate times- Killswitch engage
Televators- The mars volta
Forgive me, sleeping sickness and waiting...- city and colour. (I LOVE CITY AND COLOUR lol)

There are tons but those are the most recent sad songs i have been listening to.

Grievous

Reaction score
Something about sad songs...im a sucker for 'em! Had to pitch in with this:

put to the footage from Baraka (great film btw) its a real tearjerker.

porcupine tree, anathema, some pink floyd already mentioned, theres also
some awesome sad songs on the blackfield record:

plus Magdalena by APC and Wings for Marie by Tool both get me. :yesway:

ohmanthisiscool

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
For me the original recording of "what a wonderful life" by Louie Armstrong makes me REAL sad. also Elliott Smiths "Between the bars" and I think maybe the saddest for me is and oldie, but Stevie wonders "Never dreamed you leave in Summer" something about that song just fills me with sorrow

Reaction score
Ben Harper has a lot of songs that are pretty melancholy, but these 3 in particular kinda make me sad. I still like them though

"Walk Away"

"Another Lonely Day"

"Drugs Don't Work"

defchime

Reaction score
something from Dredgs cd catching without arms, omerta or saw you drown by katatonia, deeper or anything by my dying bride, zzxyz rd (or w/e) by stone sour....all music makes me feel something in one way or another, but sad songs just have this power that can really change you.

I could make a list of 400 or 500 sad songs

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
I'd have to go with "About Today" by The National because it sucks how much I can relate to the lyrics. :squint:

(and this one's obvious and probably been said already, but..)
"Symphony No. 3 "Sorrowful Songs" - Lento e Largo" composed by Henryk Gorecki
I fell asleep to this once and woke up to the part where the vocals start (somewhere around a minute and 22 seconds into the song) and I was like "oh my god, did I die?". It seriously scared the everloving shit out of me. :lol:

METAL_ZONE

Reaction score
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I don't think that it gets much more emotional than this.

PS - Have that video background as a poster in my bedroom. :lol:

That song gets me real bad now. Pink Floyd has ben my favorite band for years (got me into rock) but I never really thought about the lyrics. I have one memory of a family vacation when I was like 13 and just me and my dad were walking around and I was thinking about us and that song. That memory always stuck out when I heard that song. It just made me think of my dad. He died last September so now it means alot to me.

One day "Floods" by Pantera honestly made me cry. And "Peaches en Regalia" almost did, not because its sad, but because it's such an amazing song.

snuif09

Reaction score
Xasthur - walker of the dissonant worlds just sounds realy dark its just chilling =)

queen innuendo cause it was the song that was being played on my moms funeral cant listen to it without crying

')