The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Albinoni's Adagio...saddest music ever. I want it played at my funeral so that people are guarenteed to cry, even if it's not over me.

gfactor

Reaction score
For me it probably has to be Dream Theater's "Space Dye Vest." Something about that one riff after the piano intro part and the lyrics strikes a nerve with me.
+1, I click this thread just so I could say "Space Dye Vest" but found this on the first page

Sjusovaren

7-string n00b
Reaction score

Something about that particular performance saddens me deeply due to the interaction between Freddie and the crowd.

Also, two other Queen songs strike pretty hard, Who Wants to Live Forever and The Show Must Go On, both amazing songs.

The Swedish band Kent have some amazing numbers too.

in particular, but also one of their songs called Mannen I Den Vita Hatten (16 År Senare) which roughly translates to The Man In the White Hat (16 years later) which in part is about the Swedish celebration of high school graduation and that song really resonated with me since I was fucking terrified of it and how my life would turn out afterwards... Shit, I still am terrified of how my life's gonna turn out. :lol: Amazing song either way.

And then there's Nobuo.

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go sulk in ze corner now. :lol:

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
saddest song for me would have to be John Murphy's score from the movie Sunshine, just click the link, song is called Sunshine.

Playlist | Track Search Results:

And I thought I was the only one who saw that movie! :nuts: :lol:

But seriously, every song on here pales in comparison to the pure horrifically depressing beautiful sadness of the studio version of "Undertow" by Pain of Salvation. "Disappear" by Dream Theater is a close second though.

Murmel

Reaction score
The Swedish band Kent have some amazing numbers too.

in particular, but also one of their songs called Mannen I Den Vita Hatten (16 År Senare) which roughly translates to The Man In the White Hat (16 years later) which in part is about the Swedish celebration of high school graduation and that song really resonated with me since I was fucking terrified of it and how my life would turn out afterwards... Shit, I still am terrified of how my life's gonna turn out. :lol: Amazing song either way.

I was never a fan of Kent's music, but their lyrics are pretty fucking amazing :yesway: If only more people knew Swedish and could share the awesomeness, they kinda loose their touch when you translate them.

There is one song though, that hit me like a brick in the forehead when I heard it though, especially when I saw it together with the Friends commercial. I'm sure you know which one I mean.

It literally gives me the chills through the entire song, it's so good.
Edit: I found an English translation of 'På Drift?' that was actually pretty good.
And holy crap, you can actually replace the Swedish lyrics with the English ones and it would actually work.

I guess we have no secrets anymore
but to leave it all is just so bloody weak
Bohemians and poets are all swine's
and On the road is the most stupid shit
I've ever read
cause Heroes and Heroines stay put
their backs against the wall
just skin against sharp edges
they scratch and punch and bite
to save their lives or someone elses
they will not get rewarded
but they don't claim anything
they just do it bite their tounge
and keep their mouths shut

Darling what we wish for most of all
is something that will never become ours
November is a wall of wet concrete
feeding dreams about escaping
just to crash and then just die
but Heroes and Heroines stay put
they spit hard at the wind
and they are warming our hands
so that we won't slip and let go
of the love we have the right to
They dare believe and hope for
that someone up there sees us
someone that rather will forgive
than judge us
for something that we didn't know we did

Edit2 (long post...): Just took a listen to the Friends version, and fuck, the intro almost brings me to tears.

You probably think that the loneliness is the worst
But it's never that bad when you see me (It's really hard to hear what she says at one point here... But it's pretty close.)
Please explain so that I can understand
Why you all get quiet when I come, and laugh when I go
Say why does it have to be me
Who has the back against the wall
Only skin against tough words
And has to scratch and punch and bite
To save their lives or someone elses
There is no reward and I don't claim anything
Just to never be forced to shut up

:(

Sjusovaren

7-string n00b
Reaction score
Kent is actually one of my favourite bands and (IMO) the best band to ever come out of Sweden, which is an opinion I've taken a lot of flak for but I couldn't care less. :lol: They played På Drift when I saw them live and it was aaaaawesome! And yeah, translating the lyrics Jocke writes can be pretty damned tricky since he writes really weird stuff at times.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Maybe already posted this in here but...

One of the saddest songs ever. Along with:

A lot of sad Japanese songs speak to me more then english ones.

')