The Saddest Song Ever

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
As a parent with not one but two girls (especially with one who is at the age where I am starting to realize it won't always be Disney princess' & piggy back rides much longer), I have to throw a song into the mix. It's one I heard on the radio awhile back driving home from dinner & it brought a tear to my eyes, just thinking how fast time flies & realizing there is no going back...in fact I can't even listen to the damn thing without getting a little choked up to this day, but anyhow,
Steven Curtis Chapman - Dance with Cinderella

I know this song won't apply to everyone, but maybe those with kids, especially little girls may feel it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koop

Reaction score

I love this song so damn much. It brings me sadness, but also happiness.

The part around 4:00 when those chords start playing louder gives me chils.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
I hope Keaton Henson has been mentioned a time or two at least...

Also this Frank Turner song, especially in live performances...

also, a lot of this guy/groups music is pretty depressing.

Reaction score
I never heard of this band before, but someone played this song this past weekend while hanging out and I found I found it very sad. I saw this thread today and thought of it.

EDIT: Also this. This song always gives me a saddening feeling inside. Gotta love The Safety Fire :wub:

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Apparently the saddest song ever is Billie Holiday's Gloomy Sunday. It has been the cause of many a suicide, I won't link it here and I haven't listened to the whole of it myself.

edit: as for me, I occasionally turn back to Alice in Chains if I'm really down with the blues.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I know it's instrumental but something about this song is so overwhelmingly sad to me.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score

bittersweet and beautiful. the idea that a man never gets over the love of is youth and confesses at the end. while it sounds corny, i can relate to the chorus.. and im sure several of you could as well

revclay

Reaction score
Apparently the saddest song ever is Billie Holiday's Gloomy Sunday. It has been the cause of many a suicide, I won't link it here and I haven't listened to the whole of it myself.

edit: as for me, I occasionally turn back to Alice in Chains if I'm really down with the blues.

You're close to being right on the Billie Holiday song. Billie Holiday recorded an English version of Gloomy Sunday, which was originally written by Rezső Seress. The first recorded version of the song by Pál Kalmár is the version that allegedly caused a number of suicides in Hungary and reportedly led to the Hungarian government banning public performances of the song.

')