The scrolling list of threads on the front page

• Thread starter rx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rx

Reaction score
Can we make it not scroll? I keep clicking the wrong thread multiple times. It's a timing game in Mario Party I think it's good enough that it refreshes when the page is reloaded. :)

13la13la

Amateur Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I thought that I was the only one that was really bothered by this. As a newer member there have been many times where I saw an interesting thread pop out.. tried to click it, failed and just gave up on that topic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rx

Reaction score
Push "New Posts" on the nav bar above.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/search.php?do=getnew

I think the whole point of the front page thing is that it's a "live" feed.

The New Posts page serves a different purpose. The front page is updated "live", but in web programming, everything is pretty much live as changes are reflected are automatically according to strings and values. The scrolling text is just an illusion that is mostly just for looks or for the inconvenience. :)

If the scrolling didn't exist, users would refresh the page on their own to update the list. The scrolling makes it a nuisance especially on some mobile devices due to a slight lag. :(

ferret

Reaction score
Well, not really. It's an AJAX driven javascript that is constantly querying the server for new posts. That's what makes it "live".

Reading the script, it looks like Alex has removed some of its features, and it would normally have buttons for pausing, showing only subscribed threads, etc.

It queries the server every 7 seconds for new posts. When it has new posts to show, it begins inserting them into the table one at a time, with a one second delay between each row. There is nothing in the code that explicitly causes scrolling, it's simply inserting rows to the top of the HTML table which naturally causes the client browser to push the other rows down.

The pause feature (For which the button has been removed) prevents the render function from working. It checks for unpause every 1 second. Until unpaused, it won't query the server or render new events.

There's also a script that adds a "fade effect" to the new row, but that doesn't cause scrolling, just changes the opacity so the row "fades in".

In Chrome, you can use the web developer console to type play=0 in order to pause. Unfortunately I don't think any mobile browsers have a Javascript console.

Edit: Alternatively, try the RSS feed instead of the front page: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/external.php?type=RSS2, though it updates much slower.

Latest posts