The SevenString Pet Thread

• Thread starter Vinnymuse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Maybe I should be writing it in the unpopular opinion thread, but

I want to kill my pet. No, not in a joking way; in a euthanasia way.

I have a corn snake (of course by "have" I mean to say "left in my parents basement when I moved out at 18") that's 13 years old. It's blind, or at least its eyes are clouded over. I feel terrible for having ever purchased it. It's fucked up that people breed animals to be pets, that people keep animals in tanks and cages just for our own selfish pleasure. Some people might say that a snake/lizard/fish doesn't have the capacity to know or understand captivity and so that it doesn't matter. But I think we can agree that that's a fucking guess and we don't have any clue.

I guess dogs and cats and other domesticated animals are OK to keep because they were literally evolved to exist alongside men, some even say that they instinctively crave human interaction... but outside of that, I don't really know if I can accept the merit of pet ownership. I'm not judging anyone else, but this is just how I feel based off my own experience having a pet snake.

My dad likes keeping the snake. He says it's mesmerizing to watch, like a lava lamp. I think we should put the snake on the ol' paper cutter and just get the guy a lava lamp. I'm just joking about the paper cutter, that's possibly cruel on account of that I don't know how quickly it would kill the snake. But like if I ever met someone who kept a pet raptor, I would see if he'd be interesting in using my snake as food. Even though I guess I principally disagree with keeping a raptor as a pet. Eh, I'm rambling.

Anyone else with pet regrets?
if it's a big guillotine style paper cutter, you're going to make a mess, but it'll be a pretty quick death. We use machetes to kill some snakes on my grandpa's farm (or you can use a spade) and the guillotine style paper cutter is somewhat comparable to a heavy parang machete. It wouldn't bother me, but idk how squeamish you are or how much stuff you've killed that way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
if it's a big guillotine style paper cutter, you're going to make a mess, but it'll be a pretty quick death. We use machetes to kill some snakes on my grandpa's farm (or you can use a spade) and the guillotine style paper cutter is somewhat comparable to a heavy parang machete. It wouldn't bother me, but idk how squeamish you are or how much stuff you've killed that way.
I meant that I don't understand enough about snake anatomy to know if it would be a "merciful" death. Snakes organs and stuff are different than people, I don't even know if decapitation would be an instant death. Though I guess technically we can say the same for people lol

At least if it were fed to a raptor, as brutal as the death may be, it would be doing something "nice" for the bird?

Only took two pages to transition from talking about loving animals to killing them. Good job SSO.

Yeah, but like, not because I enjoy killing things in any way. Because I don't, not even bugs. I just feel a deep sense of regret. Maybe I just symbolically want to kill that feeling...

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Only took two pages to transition from talking about loving animals to killing them. Good job SSO.
lol we can't even keep gear threads on topic for more than a page or two. i'd say this is par for the course

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I meant that I don't understand enough about snake anatomy to know if it would be a "merciful" death. Snakes organs and stuff are different than people, I don't even know if decapitation would be an instant death. Though I guess technically we can say the same for people lol

At least if it were fed to a raptor, as brutal as the death may be, it would be doing something "nice" for the bird?

Yeah, but like, not because I enjoy killing things in any way. Because I don't, not even bugs. I just feel a deep sense of regret. Maybe I just symbolically want to kill that feeling...
:shrug: snakes die just fine when I've cut their heads off. Worst case you chop em into pieces.
Since that doesn't sound like something you'd want to do, just get it euthanized.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Always love an excuse to post pictures of my cats :lol:

Here are my first 2 cats that are still living at my parents'. Both are 15 years old now, and I wish I could have them live with me but they like to be outside and my place isn't the best for outdoor kitties.

First up is Cleo, first of her name, the cross-eyed wonder, the loudest and most talkative kitty in the world. still acts like she's 3 or 4 years old and I love her for all of the above, even when she used to wake me up in the middle of the night when I was in grade school and high school, just so I'd open the door so she could leave again in 5 minutes.

And easily the greatest picture of her at our old family home. This was from when I was building my first guitar and she found her way onto my neighbour's roof.

Second is Holly, the grumpy food vaccuum that only looks grumpy but actually loves cuddles so long as you only touch above the shoulders. I feel really sad for her because it's clear that her bones and joints are troubling her and she has trouble walking around, especially on stairs. We've been trying to curb her diet the past year but it doesn't seem to be doing too much, she has always been a stress eater since we picked her up as a stray but I'm happy we were able to give her a good comfortable life.

While we're talking about bummers, here's a pictures of my grandpa's cat Sylvester, who was a giant fluffy suck and was afraid of everything. He had to be put down this year. :(

And then there are mine and my girlfriend's 2 kitties that we got shortly after moving in together. These little buggers stole my heart and I dunno what I'd do without them. The calico is Murphy Cooper and she is an absolute angel, named from one of our favourite movies, Interstellar. She only meows when she can't see anyone else and she is just the most gentle and lovable cat I've ever seen, though I wish she was more prone to coming up for cuddles and sleeping in bed with me. The black one is my boy Bruce Wayne, obviously named after Batman. He's a bit of a jerk to Murphy and is clearly as much an alpha male as house cats can get, but he loves cuddles and being picked up and is super affectionate. He also sometimes leaves his tongue out after cleaning himself and it's hilarious. They both just turned 2 in the past month.

Here they are when we first got them and they were only about 3 months old.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
As for the other part of the conversation, I agree with vilk in that I think it's wrong to keep animals caged their whole life, specifically birds, I don't understand the point of having a bird as a pet if you don't let them fly around. But reptiles and amphibians and such I think is a little more acceptable if they have a big enough terrarium and have some room to move, though I still wouldn't do it because I think that pets should have the freedom to move around your home or at least a big area that same as we do.

As for your snake, vilk, I don't think you should euthanize it unless it is terminally ill or actually blind. I'd try to give it as long of a comfortable life as possible before I could put them down. I also don't want to kill animals so I can see your dillema, but if the snake is still comfortable then I'd say let it be.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Here's my cat, Ruf.

34snv60.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Shit, I don't think my pictures are working. If I'm embedding from an album I made on my SSO profile, do I have to change the privacy settings on the album to public or shared?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I found this girl crossing the street in front my car, in July in PHX, and in distress. Obviously carrying a load of babies. No collar/ID. I managed to coax her into the car and brought her home. Advertised but no owners came up. 7 babies later, all found homes. 4 of which are paired up. She's been a great dog 3 years later and our GSP's thrash buddy, quite a bit of moxie. Some sort of Chihuahua/Dachsund and something else mix with the pups.

QZXsGu5Zbq2aCgY8WqnuNz6ZgP9riewbOcLhWnxaCkjPX-jOmOaIfQDvxGvnh2HqRTnwjQCnV1EPVb_E70IDGFJ3UYeYFfqXJvriO3y_fEqs8cVUYV6bntuZ9e3QiWkzjJKUdFK3m64QgrRAzM93HqxylofB9Cagt9z93UGuqoR69iUvzAQqpFbLW_lXxwN5-YLGQmlueNUTfnIkFtZRRorNyZo27iZcM-tByoCfMtJrrAqlQ7Mv_16mEF0yOcUFpia_oOvuJ9SlX_F7Gy9GU4kBJeEvkox-8mvJS7FJ8b43AE1jaO8K4Ju11VfwT2xGyvkEnBczW2VaxmK4MFoXr54IkEaU9vfvcP-AjMwar6YVrhY-VexH87EpX75ON-JzR782xrX1AA9H4qSDvzmRUYVayXT0CI4IdZALPuscp6AbysAstxd99jtIc4d98mAhCg2b3U4Us4FnfY2fbSWQCGlFkShsWYyPM0vMFCpw_63bSKmozp2cCxyweCQrWDZsoKjkfAJXzDka-nM0U6J_zxd2LaKEue5_95yMjPOMwkY3EwbrLjbKVG2GYV9A5MRRLm0GPVo_tVjsFMgRY_FvxSuky-M8MMK0srPV41o=w433-h768-no

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Had to wait to be home from tour, and now I can post some pupper pics.

Last year we rescued a husky/??/?? mix named Layla via Animal Rescue Foundation Ontario (www.arfontario.com). We didn't change her name, and she doesn't always respond to it :loL:. She has since been given about 10 nicknames, mostly from my wife.

Layla was a foster-to-adopt dog since she had heartworm when we took her from her previous foster mom. When she was brought to the rescue, she had a litter of puppies *and* one of her previous puppies who also had a litter. 3 generations of dogs in one go. We believe she's a northern dog given the white on her nose. She had been house-trained and then abandoned, and we're glad to have her in our lives. When we got her, I left on a 3-week tour the next day so she is 90% "mom's dog". Good with kids, good in the car, loves to run in a fenced yard. She's most of the reason I want a house with a yard :lol:.

Anyway, pics!

21743616_10155707535179629_4735582444456187502_o.jpg

22548955_10155812014604629_6649906911801527159_o.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk-tF_ZFFZI/?taken-by=sears_was_here

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkxUPDQF-xX/?taken-by=sears_was_here

Latest posts