The Shoegaze Thread

• Thread starter AdamMaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Came across this on the WTSH blog

About to give Neil Halstead's new project's album a listen :banana:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Do any of you know of any podcasts that showcase Shoegaze and/or Blackgaze?

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Finally managed to acquire Blind Mr. Jones' discog :hbang:

They remind me a lot of The Boo Radleys and Thousand Yard Stare. Vocals are reminiscent of Ride, but the best part is the arrangements. They make frequent use of a flute that plays melodies over the wall of sound, amongst other instruments without sounding forced or kitsch. At times they sound more jazz or prog rock, reminding me eerily of early Porcupine Tree :yesway:

Upbeat with lots of flute, not sure what is up with the guitar cutting in and out on the second verse?

Relaxing/ambient a la Thousand Yard Stare.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I just discovered that Kitchens of Distinction put out a new album only two months ago. Skimming around, it seems to be getting great reviews :)

They've matured very well, I wonder how the rest of the album is?

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Halfway through and I am seeing this as a AOTY contender so far.

EDIT: The music is as listening to a fairy tale. Reminds me a lot of what Dream Theater managed to capture a bit of on Images & Words, but without the technical/prog musicianship and with more folk influence. Much more Dream Pop than they've ever been, its as if they wrote an album continuing in the vein of "Under The Sky, In The Sea".

AdamMaz

Reaction score
New Swervedriver track!!
This would have fit it very well with their early work. Only hindrance is the vocals, naturally, sound aged. It isn't that bad and the instrumental work still has that flare.

thedonal

Reaction score
Slow, very distorted, for the MBV fans.

This album recently came out and is solid from start to finish. Lots of distortion throughout, lot of up-tempo and the songwriting is good!

May have a couple more in the coming days...

I saw Weekend support Chameleons Vox on Sunday night. They were great! Will be checking that album out soon...

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Just discovered Slowdive are getting back together!

They've got a couple of festival dates in Europe booked and plan to record an album. I believe it will include Neil and Rachel, not sure about the other members?

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Just discovered Slowdive are getting back together!

They've got a couple of festival dates in Europe booked and plan to record an album. I believe it will include Neil and Rachel, not sure about the other members?

That's about the best music related news i've heard in years. :scream:
Hopefully they'll record the live gigs and make them available!

I'm not holding my breath for a US tour since i don't think Rachel can fly anymore, but i'll gladly take a new studio album :D

AdamMaz

Reaction score
If they came anywhere near me, I would be willing to go out of my way to see them live.

Here's a good song off of what sounds like a great album (having only skimmed over it quickly)

')