The "shredding has no feeling" rant

• Thread starter canuck brian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hirah

Contributor
Reaction score
si i'll show my age by saying i grew up in the 80s. while there was ALOT of shit being played, it also had some of the best guitar playing. players like vito bratta and nuno bettencourt have scary technique, feeling and great rhythm playing. eddie van halen has great rhythm playing on alot of stuff.actually, even yngwie has some great blues playing from time to time. but it's more about the song for me. but a kick ass solo doesn't hurt either.:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
What could you musically express in a 6-string arpegio that produces 33nps?

The guitar solo on Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor" to me express: insanity, deception, rage, stress, tension... damn, I think every disturbing feeling that exists :lol: And they're just 5-string arpeggios played so fast. But as I said before, the thing that really mades a good solo, is how it fits on the song, and this one when it starts just blow your mind, period. :cool:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
its like bouncing the edge of your pick against the string. it can sound fast and make some interesting noises, but its simple. why would you use that to show of?

You mean "bouncing your finger off the string," right? :scratch: Although you can do some tapping by using the edge of the pick (the lead guitarist for my old band used his pick for tapping on one song and used his fingers on all the others), you can't do 95% of tapping unless you use your fingers. For example, "Midnight" by Joe Satriani has him doing 8-finger tapping with the 4 fingers on the left hand fretting and the 4 fingers in the "playing" hand tapping.

Here's a link of a 33 second clip from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjvThPsYCQ

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0&mode=related&search= (let's see you do this tapping :lol:)

Tell me that's not technically impressive. I think that kind of 8-handed finger tapping is one of the most technically difficult things to do on guitar (not the most diffcult technique, but definitely one of them). I'm assuming you don't know how to tap due to the things you said in your post.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren, have you ever seen any tab of Midnight? It really does use just two fingers per hand, and it's easier than you think. I bet that MIdnight is Satch's easier song to play :lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Naren, have you ever seen any tab of Midnight? It really does use just two fingers per hand, and it's easier than you think. I bet that MIdnight is Satch's easier song to play :lol:

Well, yeah, I have seen a tab of it and it is usually 2-3 fingers on the tapping hand, but I couldn't think of a song that uses the full 8 fingers through the whole song. I wasn't trying to use it as the "hardest Satch song there is," but it was just the only one I could think of with 8-finger tapping. Could you think of one?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, yeah, I have seen a tab of it and it is usually 2-3 fingers on the tapping hand, but I couldn't think of a song that uses the full 8 fingers through the whole song. I wasn't trying to use it as the "hardest Satch song there is," but it was just the only one I could think of with 8-finger tapping. Could you think of one?

Emperoff is right, it's really just two fingers per hand. Ditto with "Day at the Beach."

Both are cool technical excersizes, and really push the frontiers of the tapping technique... But both are also amazing peices of music, first and foremost.

For what it's worth, I've always considered Gilmour's vibrato his weakest link, and Yngwie's his strongest. :shrug:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
"lol dude its so gay that all the guitarists are doing this now it. IT BELONGED TO THE TRUE MASTER NEILS VEYJLT and buckethead but now everyones doing it. Btw USE A DISTORION WITH LOTS OF CLARITY AND NOISE GATE I've pertty much finally got 8 finger playing master but in the process of learning i found using some distortions made it impossible such as my line 6 spider II's distortion because its to fuzzy and sloppy compared to my ENGL which when I play them makes them come out PERFECT"

I fucking hate youtube comments.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

/rant

"that's just noise, no feeling at all."

Obviously a person with no guitar self esteem. NO real player, no matter how good or bad, would say anything like that to the guy playing it. I would reply, " You just think to slowly too keep up with the ideas!"

Being about the oldest member here,(Don't ask!) I remember this argument starting with Alvin Lee from a band called Ten Years After. He was always accused of playing too fast with no feeling, which is bullshit.

Me myself? I more blither than shred, and it is all blues based. I can play blues stuff fast(like Alvin Lee). A good shred solo should be a runaway train of fresh and frightening ideas presented with urgency and conviction. I think this is where a lot of Proggy crap fails. I don't want to see finger drills or technical displays. I wanna hear music! And, if it so happens to be 33nps, then, by gosh, bring it on!

Any of you folks that can, should make it to a Jemfest, and hear the guys that play there. Every one of them was a great and approachable musician. I just brought my guitars, and watched how well someone else could play them! :shred:

includao

Banned
Reaction score
The guitar solo on Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor" to me express: insanity, deception, rage, stress, tension... damn, I think every disturbing feeling that exists :lol: And they're just 5-string arpeggios played so fast. But as I said before, the thing that really mades a good solo, is how it fits on the song, and this one when it starts just blow your mind, period. :cool:

Too much rage sucks. Any teenager can express rage and deception.

And I'm talking about freaking fucking fast shredding. Nevermore is ok.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know If this vid was posted before, but don't throw me stones if was :lol:

The kid has an amazing feel and melodi sense, and he's only 15:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAj5LiXG5w

IMO Totally smokes JerryC version.

Too much rage sucks. Any teenager can express rage and deception.

Too much rage sucks? That's a totally subjective opinion, dude. Maybe it is for YOUR tastes. Do you really think any teenager can express so much negative feelings the way is done in that solo section? I don't think so :nono:

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
And ANOTHER point about GC guitar blasters. I don't know about you, but I play pretty quietly and let the mixing guy have half a chance of actually mixing. Therefore, when I try out an amp, I try it out at the level I will most likely use it. I played bass for a very short while with this knucklehead that had everything in his basement mic'ed up, and blasting through the pa. He had a giant wall mounted box of earplugs that you could help yourself to. Get real! Where are you going to play that loud? I guess, in your basement! :agreed:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I don't know If this vid was posted before, but don't throw me stones if was :lol:

The kid has an amazing feel and melodi sense, and he's only 15:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAj5LiXG5w

IMO Totally smokes JerryC version.

Wow... I loved the Jerry C version, and I hated all of the other takes on it, but I haven't seen this one, and it kicks ass :eek: This is how Vai would play Cannon in C :yesway: Thanks for posting that!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I played bass for a very short while with this knucklehead that had everything in his basement mic'ed up, and blasting through the pa. He had a giant wall mounted box of earplugs that you could help yourself to. Get real! Where are you going to play that loud? I guess, in your basement! :agreed:

I think I played with the same guy(s). :lol: Holy fuck, talk about ringing in the ears.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Wow... I loved the Jerry C version, and I hated all of the other takes on it, but I haven't seen this one, and it kicks ass :eek: This is how Vai would play Cannon in C :yesway: Thanks for posting that!

I agree. I personally still think the Jerry C version is the best version, but this one is absolutely amazing, as well. Very very very cool - and very Vai-ish (you can tell he's a fan :lol:).

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I play guitar because I enjoy it. I enjoy shredding. Thus, when I play guitar, I shred.

If someone wants to pay me to play, I'll play what they want - until then everyone can kiss my ass and I'lll happily wank my ass off.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I play guitar because I enjoy it. I enjoy shredding. Thus, when I play guitar, I shred.

If someone wants to pay me to play, I'll play what they want - until then everyone can kiss my ass and I'lll happily wank my ass off.

:rofl: :yesway:

If my current level of ability allowed me to shred I'd concur :lol:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score

:rofl:

well said chris :yesway:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

:lol: I wish I could shred. It's not something I ever try to do, but if I could do it, I'm sure I'd do quite often.

Latest posts

')