The softest, smoothest strap you know of

• Thread starter shiyu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shiyu

Reaction score
For the majority of my time playing guitar I have sworn by these D'Addario Auto Lock straps that no one seems to have heard of. They clip directly onto your strap button, eliminating the need for a strap lock. But the reason I keep buying them is not because of the locking mechanism, which is a non-factor to me (I could always just buy strap locks if I needed them).

No, these things are really damn comfy.

They are the softest straps I've used, and they're very slippery. If you tilt your torso or angle your guitar in a different way, it's easy to shift the strap to a different position. Judging by reviews, this is a common complaint people have about this strap. Not me. I think the ability to shift the weight of my guitar around while playing is great.

There's probably nothing special about this strap, as it appears to be woven nylon of some kind. It's not terribly expensive or premium, so I should be able to find other straps I like just as much for not much money. But I can't. Nothing else I've tried had been as soft, or as smooth. The problem with these straps is that they don't work on all strap buttons. Some guitars have strap buttons too big to accommodate the locking mechanism. So now the question is, where do I find something this comfy without the gimmick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Sounds like you really like those straps. Why not just replace the strap buttons on the other guitars and keep using your favorite strap.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I like couch straps because I'm a bourgie bitch. I have the black vegan leather one (vinyl I think) and it slides around fairly easily for my purposes anyway.

Also their 3" straps are comfy as heck.

jonsick

Reaction score
To be honest, I really like the standard Ernie Ball nylon things, the cheap £10 things.
I've tried various straps and what always gets me is that they really hug tight to my clothing and the guitar isn't very easy to manoeuvre when the guitar is on and standing up. I play mainly Vs and RR style bodied guitars and sometimes you do need to move the thing a little. None of them are too heavy so I just found I didn't need it to hug me so much.

For a while I struggled with the E-II Arrow 7 string as I had a super-huggy guitar strap. I just changed it recently for a plain ol' Ernie Ball. The guitar isn't neck heavy so it's quite nice to be able to move the guitar when I want to solo in the upper registers rather than craning myself around to try and reach it.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I use a mono strap now that is ready comfortable to me. I have a heavy Les Paul and most straps feel like shit on my shoulder with it. They're the first strap I've used where my shoulder feels much less shitty.

My other guitars I don't even feel them.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well hung straps.

')