vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Low to high: CGCFAD
For drop B and B standard stuff: BGCFAD
For some In Flames and other A# stuff: A#GCFAD
Icarus Lives!: G#GCFAD

I think there's a pattern here. That pattern? Laziness, and that's right, I figured out "Icarus Lives!" in D standard with the low E dropped extra low. /brag.

Icarus Lives is on a 7 string in drop Ab/G# which is Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.

Craziest tuning I've seen
E B E B E F# B e
Josh Travis from Danza.

He actually explains where that tuning came from in this interview he did for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxXGvyqVkmw

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cure for optimism

Reaction score
Thats like what I use, except mine is drop Bb.

Yea same i just been dropping to Ab lately...great tuning i really love the high F. I usually tune a half step down but with this everything sounds higher without losing the Bb

Keith Merrows tuning if you didnt know.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yea same i just been dropping to Ab lately...great tuning i really love the high F. I usually tune a half step down but with this everything sounds higher without losing the Bb

Keith Merrows tuning if you didnt know.

I occassionally drop the low Bb to F, E and Eb. :lol: Yeah him, Sybreed and In Flames all use drop Bb. The reason I use it is because tension/gauge wise it feels the best for me, and sounds tight as fuck while still being low enough to chug on. Plus, if I get an 8 string and tune to F standard, I only need one 5 string bass to record with (no need to change tunings).

obalisk666

Reaction score
Monuments for the track "Admit Defeat", John Browne tells me its (low to high)

F,F,Bb,Eb,F,Bb,Eb on 7 string

Thought I'd let anyone know who was wondering :p

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Does anyone know what tuning Vendetta Spoken plays in on their new album Shrodinger Equation? Here's an example:

Edit: Never mind, just figured it out. It's Drop A. The riff in the beginning had me confused because they probably barré the 1st fret.

clubshred

Reaction score
For one of my seven strings I use B, E, A, D, G, B, E - so a "standard tuning" for a seven. On my other one, it's slightly longer scale and I use G, D, A, D, G, B, E.

Cool thing about that second tuning is that the two lowest strings are tuned in fifths. So you can get the "one-fret-five-chord" thing going on TWO strings. It also makes for some interesting lead work because I can do three-note-per-string pentatonic runs without shifting my hand on three strings... kinda cool.

I play mostly instrumental stuff but I also play in a cover band.

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
c# - f# - b - e - g# - c# - e on a seven string. threw btbam and scale the summit into a blender and this is what i came up with

space frog

Reaction score
^Nice way to find a tuning lol
The tuning on my 8 string looks a bit like that, but replace the high e by a f# and add a low F#.... DROP F#!!!!!

Antimatter

Reaction score
I've always been interested in open tunings for guitar, I used to play metal type stuff in DGDGBD (Open G) all the time, it was pretty awesome. But lately I've been way loaded down with projects and stuff for school so I'm not being able to play the guitar much at all. I'm hoping that sometime soon I can get some money to get a seven string, and then I can adapt that tuning for a 7, maybe GDGDGBD, or AEAEAC#E :D

Reaction score
I hate when people say G#.

But, Double Drop Bb is a solid tuning. Bands like Fellsilent and Tesseract know what's up.

jds93

Reaction score
im big into the deathcore and deathmetal but i was wondering if anyone new any metal bands or anyother genre of music that drop f# tune i know about meshuggah and the :bowdown:acacia strain:bowdown: and after the burial, but i was wondering if anyone new any other bands that tune to drop f#:shred: if anyone could help me out that b fucking sick any help would be great trying expand my guitar playing range

Last edited:

jds93

Reaction score
im big into the deathcore and deathmetal but i was wondering if anyone new any metal bands or anyother genre of music that drop f# tune i know about meshuggah and the :bowdown:acacia strain:bowdown: and after the burial, but i was wondering if anyone new any other bands that tune to drop f#:shred: if anyone could help me out that b fucking sick any help would be great trying expand my guitar playing range

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Mnemic tunes F# on "Passenger" and "Sons of the System". Not their primary string, but awesome when it's used.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Meshuggah and After The Burial tune to F standard.

Dino Cazares tunes to F# standard.

M.A.N tune to drop B with a low F# on 7 strings.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
On my personal stuff I occasionally tune to Drop F#, and I've been meaning to work some Drop F# into an Abnormality song, if it means anything. :shrug:

')